Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2018, 8:16 pm

I haven't come across this in my own research, so I thought I'd ask here... Does anyone have issues with time management related to their ASD?

I am not SURE if this is related to my ASD, but since I was about 12-13 and had to start getting myself to school on time by myself, I have had severe issues with organisation and getting myself out of the house on time.
As a teen, I would often turn up between 30 mins and 3 hrs late to school (and usually I wouldn't want to go because I'd get in trouble every time). I missed a lot of school and I didn't finish high school. I also have ADHD so that probably plays a big role in both the organisational and academic functioning (I was a gifted child but just never got far in high school)

And then I had major issues with employment as an adult. I am unemployed now, but on top of all the social/communication issues I experienced, I was also very tardy in my string of (I think) 30 different jobs between the ages of 18-24. And after that I've just accepted that I need to give myself some time to mature and regular therapy

Problem is, I am even turning up late to my therapist appointments. It's been a really difficult thing from my counsellors to treat because putting pressure on myself increases the likelihood of a meltdown. And I used to have a LOT of meltdowns over it (unable to complete my routine combined with time pressures and fear of retribution). These days I just cancel plans when I need to, or people are accepting of my issues and patient with me

I have gotten better, usually am only 10-15 mins late, and I can be early or on time at least 50% of the time. The improvement from my teen years is massive, but still a hindrance

Is this something that other people with ASD have had trouble with? Or can you relate with similar issues?

Please don't come at me with the "just time yourself" or "just keep looking at the clock" or "just get ready earlier"... It doesn't work like that, I've tried everything, I've improved, but it's a complex issue. If I have an appointment or social function, that is the ONLY thing I can focus on that day in order to make sure I'm on time (and doesn't always work). I assume it's an executive function/attentional thing. I also get very absorbed in things (forget to eat or do basic tasks), I seem to lack an adequate concept of time

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 8:18 pm

My executive functioning sometimes suck hell to high water.

I have trouble cleaning a house because I don't know how to plan HOW to clean a house properly.

In general, I have trouble doing "two things at once."

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2018, 5:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My executive functioning sometimes suck hell to high water.

I have trouble cleaning a house because I don't know how to plan HOW to clean a house properly.

In general, I have trouble doing "two things at once."

Yes, I have trouble with things unless I have a solid plan of action (system) in place beforehand. But even with a routine to get ready to leave the house, I can't manage 'time' well

I'm pretty sure it's an ASD thing but I can't pinpoint what part. Maybe planning/execution is okay but the 'big picture' falls through

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 11:41 am

Honeymiel

When I go somewhere, I am almost always extremely early.

Paranoid about being late.

Fear of missing out

But usually it does not matter if I am late or early. Exception:. Work, bus.

There are some exceptions. Like some instructors do not take homework turned in after 7:30am. At 7:31, it is "late".

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Honeymiel

When I go somewhere, I am almost always extremely early.

Paranoid about being late.

Fear of missing out

But usually it does not matter if I am late or early. Exception:. Work, bus.

There are some exceptions. Like some instructors do not take homework turned in after 7:30am. At 7:31, it is "late".

Actually, maybe that's the key to it - fear/anxiety. An odd concept of time combined with anxiety over what I'm going to have to do at wherever I'm going

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:57 pm

Why not just plan to be there early, waiting with a book or something? One friend used to keep his watch set an hour or so fast.

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2018, 4:53 am

Dear_one wrote:
Why not just plan to be there early, waiting with a book or something? One friend used to keep his watch set an hour or so fast.

I have done those things, they are not long term solutions. This is about a lot more than a bad habit that needs to be overwritten, unfortunately. I am able to use similar tactics occasionally but being consistently on time is not something I have been able to achieve, hence trying to identify the deeper reasons for this problem

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 7:45 am

For me, self-sabotage has often been due to not wanting to risk betrayal of trust. Too often I have jumped all the hoops listed, and then learned of an exception that applies to someone lacking NT responses.