Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 4:35 pm

Do you get object blindness, and do people get impatient with you when you can't see something that's right in front of you? People yell "you don't look far, do you??!" or "you're so blind, you need glasses!" But it's got nothing to do with eyesight. It's just my brain not registering what I'm supposed to be seeing. It can be so embarrassing.

I find that object blindness isn't abnormal among people, as I catch other people not seeing something I'm pointing at. But when this happens I do not yell or get angry or impatient, because I don't want to embarrass people. But no matter how many times other people have an object-blind moment, I still get yelled at when it happens to me.

*sigh*

How do you deal with these embarrassing moments?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

It happens a lot. You said " brain not registering what you see", I think that must be it. I also can't always see the whole picture in front of me... I'll be focusing on one tiny detail, or my brain will be in "stand-by" mode.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 6:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Do you get object blindness, and do people get impatient with you when you can't see something that's right in front of you? People yell "you don't look far, do you??!" or "you're so blind, you need glasses!" But it's got nothing to do with eyesight. It's just my brain not registering what I'm supposed to be seeing. It can be so embarrassing.

I find that object blindness isn't abnormal among people, as I catch other people not seeing something I'm pointing at. But when this happens I do not yell or get angry or impatient, because I don't want to embarrass people. But no matter how many times other people have an object-blind moment, I still get yelled at when it happens to me.

*sigh*

How do you deal with these embarrassing moments?

I smile and thank them for their help, and try to share a laugh about it. I might explain that I thought it would be blue side up, and it was orange instead, if something like that applies.

"Sighted people. Ya gotta deal with 'em."
- Stevie Wonder

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 12:03 am

I honestly thought I was the only one with object blindness [in addition to the kind for faces].

BeeFarm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2018, 12:32 am

Well I have a bit of trouble distinguishing types of cars if they are the same color.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 12:48 am

^^^ when I was your age I never had that trouble, but nowadays with all the copycat car styling, I can't tell 'em apart anymore. :oops:

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2018, 2:23 am

These moments aren't embarrassing for me. For any comments like "you're so blind, you need glasses" or "you don't look far, do you??!" I'd just say: "perhaps". If this doesn't end the "discussion" (for example they ask "how is this even possible that you didn't see it laying just in front of your eyes?!"), reply "I don't know" to questions and "maybe" etc. to statements.
This strategy works in many situations btw. At least for me.