Why studying autism in mice may be doomed to fail

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2018, 7:52 am

Quote:
Why studying autism in mice may be doomed to fail

I don't want information or knowlegde based on animal cruelty in the first place. This is the reason I never give donations to autism, cancer, etc. research.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 8:40 am

SaveFerris wrote:
The mistake you made is expecting everyone to get your sarcasm and think you're hilarious - sorry I'm projecting again :wink:

I don’t know what you mean, but I didn’t expect anyone to find that post hilarious.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 8:45 am

They should have just asked the mice whether they were autistic, the answer would have been at least as useful as their experiments.

Of course there's a good chance the mice were just messing with them, that's what I'd do if I was put in a crappy cage.

I think this woman has a cool title, 'Valerie Bolivar, director of the Mouse Behavioral Phenotype Analysis Core.'

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 8:46 am

Spiderpig wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
The mistake you made is expecting everyone to get your sarcasm and think you're hilarious - sorry I'm projecting again :wink:

I don’t know what you mean, but I didn’t expect anyone to find that post hilarious.

I'm just being a dick , I'll go away soon :)

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 8:47 am

Spiderpig wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

He means he expects everyone to get his sarcasm and think he's hilarious, only very often they don't.

I have the same prob.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 9:28 am

So do I, but the “expecting people to think it’s hilarious” part wasn’t the case of my first post in this thread.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 9:41 am

Spiderpig wrote:
So do I, but the “expecting people to think it’s hilarious” part wasn’t the case of my first post in this thread.

That's why I said I was projecting - Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.

It was self deprecating humour

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 9:53 am

Fair enough.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 10:15 am

I was trying to make light of a situation with humour but failed miserably - Yay me

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 11:06 am

This relates to other debates Ive had online. Folks do cite the fact that "the equivalent of autism has been found in other mammals including mice". Was never quite sure how ....even if we actually saw autism in a mouse....how on earth we would know it if we saw it (would the mouse collect star trek memorabilia, or what?)....but I will take their word for it. But now it looks like we don't hafta to take their word for it after all. The mouse model seems to be collapsing.

To:CockneyRebel

They subject white mice to all kinds of both pure science experiments, and test consumer chemicals on them (medicine and cosmetics and cigarettes). Have done that for a long time. They do that so they don't have to use humans as subjects. Better mice than humans. Sucks, but its the lesser evil. Better to use guinea pigs, lab rats, and white mice, as...guinea pigs, lab rats, and white mice, than to use humans as those. what can I say?