Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 1:03 pm

Now you know that sounds stupid. Yet we have these autism awareness stickers and shirts everywhere. I find it condescending.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 1:34 pm

Apart from autists, very few could meaningfully wear them.

Autist is still an insult, maybe it may change with time. I don't like to be called names.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 9:01 am

"Autist" sounds like a cutesy term for something that causes distress for a lot of people. It is the reverse end of the spectrum from ugly words such as "ret*d," which are openly disparaging. In a way, making something sound good is a way of sticking one's head in the sand.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 9:45 am

You mean People Awareness Day.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 12:09 pm

The title amuses me, it well conveys my gut reaction to awareness days. Any of these things that can do any good, I wouldn't want to stop them, but I guess the whole concept is too much like the marketing industry's behaviour, and I get annoyed when people try to get me trained.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 12:59 pm

The title of this post illustrates the feeling I have toward "bumper sticker philosophies" and "bumper sticker advocacy." It gets tiresome and really doesn't help anyone.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2018, 6:22 am

I'm confused.

Is there, or is there not a bumhole awareness day? If not, why not???

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 6:30 am

jon85 wrote:
Is there, or is there not a bumhole awareness day?

No. Nearest thing I've found is Toilet Day.
Quote:
If not, why not???

My guess is that the people who create awareness days take their job very seriously and they wouldn't want to detract from the credibility of what they're doing by creating a parody or in any way giving air time to the view that awareness days might not be all they're cracked up to be.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 6:30 am

jon85 wrote:
I'm confused.

There will be soon. There are prophecies about the coming "End Times"!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 7:57 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
The title amuses me, it well conveys my gut reaction to awareness days. Any of these things that can do any good, I wouldn't want to stop them, but I guess the whole concept is too much like the marketing industry's behaviour, and I get annoyed when people try to get me trained.

I’m not keen on them either, like charity adverts, though those are worse.

naturalplastic wrote:
jon85 wrote:
I'm confused.

There will be soon. There are prophecies about the coming "End Times"!

:lol:

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 8:32 am

I'm trying to figure out if I should be educating people about autism or get a colonoscopy considering this topic title :O I think I might be too young for a colonoscopy still though xD

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 8:43 am

Ugh, that's a horrible test. The prep is horrendous!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 10:12 am

jon85 wrote:

Every day is Bumhole Awareness Day, because never a day passes without a huge number of people being painfully "aware" of some "bumhole" or other spoiling things for them! :wink:

Hang on, though - maybe we do need a special B.A.D.? Imagine how awful life as a bumhole must be - every single day spent being compared to politicians, bullies, internet trolls, narcissists etc. Bumholes deserve our help to draw attention to this terrible slander. :lol:

And yes, If you hadn't already guessed, I agree with the OP - I find these "awareness" days mostly condescending and ineffectual. They're mostly just "preaching to the choir" anyway, and there are so many of them now, that their sheer ubiquitousness makes them incredibly easy to ignore for people who don't already have an interest. I also feel like they make being charitable into some kind of competition to see who can draw the most attention, and encourage people not to "join the dots" to see how issues relate to each other.

If only there were only 365 political issues/medical conditions/endangered species/environmental catastrophes/impoverished populations/badly treated minorities/... - what an improvement that would be!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 10:46 am

I guess I'm in the minority. Neither autism awareness day nor autist bother me any. The only time I remember coming across autist, is a member of another forum called the "autist formerly known as" which I thought was funny.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 4:23 pm

As a gay man, I’m already hyper aware of bumholes and don’t require an awareness day to celebrate them as I see (tightly) fit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 4:29 pm

Yucky as the notion sounds something like the title of this thread might be a needed thing. Once a year ...ya know ...to remind folks to get it checked out for rectal colon cancer.

But...putting that subject aside...I don't have any problem with Autism Awareness Day.