I have to give a panel speech about living with Autism. Help

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 10:38 pm

It's for a mental health panel, I'm really nervous, there's gonna be maybe 200 people there, it's at my campus and I'm not 100% sure what to talk about. I'm kind of scared, and I would like some advice on how to get through this and what to talk about, it's supposed to be 15 minutes long

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 12:07 am

Look at some of Tony Attwood's videos on You Tube and make some notes from them.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2018, 12:56 am

I always start anything by making a list!

In this case, it would be what areas would you like to discuss? I'd go for social interaction/communication differences, sensory processing issues, need for routine and planning, the joys of special interests and autistic strengths. You don't need to say much about each, because there's so much to say and 15 minutes is not long! Maybe tell one or two stories about your own experiences and what has been difficult for you personally.

Another idea is to describe your day and explain the challenges you face at each point of the day.

Am I right in thinking that this is to help other people understand what Autism is like? Are the people watching going to be students or staff? How much do they already know?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 4:58 am

You might want to address some of the misconceptions about autism, such as that we don't have empathy, or that we're either severely disabled or have amazing savant skills.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 9:46 am

I was going to suggest the "day in the life of" approach that Goth Fairy suggested. The topic of "living with" could be so broad, the list of subtopics so extensive, it might make this project overwhelming.

Examples of things on a "day in the life" approach might be:

a. Have to set 3 different alarm clocks to get up on time.

b. Have to set out pills the night before because too fuzzy mentally to do it in the morning.

c. My breakfast is (always the same thing due to sensory issues).

d. Showering is extremely hard both because of skin sensations and sound. If I have to shower, it takes up to an hour.

and so on. Good luck with your presentation!

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 10:23 am

All great ideas, depending on the goal of your presentation. In general, what do you want your audience to learn or remember from your presentation?

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:17 pm

Goth Fairy wrote:

In this case, it would be what areas would you like to discuss? I'd go for social interaction/communication differences, sensory processing issues, need for routine and planning, the joys of special interests and autistic strengths. You don't need to say much about each, because there's so much to say and 15 minutes is not long! Maybe tell one or two stories about your own experiences and what has been difficult for you personally.

Another idea is to describe your day and explain the challenges you face at each point of the day.

Am I right in thinking that this is to help other people understand what Autism is like? Are the people watching going to be students or staff? How much do they already know?

Other students in the panel have different mental disorders, and they're all presenting in a story format, but I don't really have a "story" per se. That's one difficulty I'm having. I honestly don't know what I want to do, it's my choice and I'm very stuck, because it's a week from today and I'll be speaking in front of 200 people. It's going to be an open event for students to attend, and I personally don't face many struggles on a daily basis, besides social deficits

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:25 pm

Why don’t you share some ways that you don’t fit the autistic stereotypes. Like things that you do well that don’t fit what you’d expect an autistic to be good at. Then share some ways that you do fit the stereotype and how that impacts you. Why don’t you also tell a unique story about how autism impacted your life in some way.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:27 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I was going to suggest the "day in the life of" approach that Goth Fairy suggested. The topic of "living with" could be so broad, the list of subtopics so extensive, it might make this project overwhelming.

Examples of things on a "day in the life" approach might be:

a. Have to set 3 different alarm clocks to get up on time.

b. Have to set out pills the night before because too fuzzy mentally to do it in the morning.

c. My breakfast is (always the same thing due to sensory issues).

d. Showering is extremely hard both because of skin sensations and sound. If I have to shower, it takes up to an hour.

and so on. Good luck with your presentation!

This doesn't really apply to me, I have some minor sensory issues that aren't really applicable in day to day life, so I can't talk about having them. My daily routine doesn't particularly deviate

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:28 pm

DataB4 wrote:
All great ideas, depending on the goal of your presentation. In general, what do you want your audience to learn or remember from your presentation?

I don't know really, this is something I volunteered to do, but I guess I want to educate the audience?

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:35 pm

So, why doesn’t your daily routine vary much? Is that by choice? Do you an adverterous type? If not, why not? Do you have a ton of friends? If not, how come?

You’re not going to have a developmental disability like autism and not be impacted. Think about how you are impacted and also include how you aren’t impacted. I think these would be interesting things to discuss. What’s it like for you to be autistic. In fact, why don’t you write an essay in here.....

What is like to be Asperger96 as it relates to autism? Why don’t you tell US your unique story. You have something to say: what is it?

flibbit
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2018, 5:48 pm

Asperger96 wrote:
Goth Fairy wrote:

Other students in the panel have different mental disorders, and they're all presenting in a story format, but I don't really have a "story" per se. That's one difficulty I'm having. I honestly don't know what I want to do, it's my choice and I'm very stuck, because it's a week from today and I'll be speaking in front of 200 people. It's going to be an open event for students to attend, and I personally don't face many struggles on a daily basis, besides social deficits

Your story could start out how you have a horrible time thinking of and telling stories. :D Seems to me some of the barriers you're struggling with in preparing for your talk are pretty autistic-y. Maybe you can use this as a jumping-off point. Describe what you're experiencing now and see where that takes you.

"There are surely other worlds than this -- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude -- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?" ~The Assignation, Edgar Allan Poe.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 7:53 pm

Another structure that could work for you is your road to diagnosis. Examples,

- Did well in elementary school except socially
- Developed depression in early teens, middle school especially hard
- What happened that resulted in a referral for evaluation
- Things my family (or school) did for me that really helped
- Things that they should have done differently

Don't use my list - generate your own. I'm just suggesting a general approach you might take.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 8:49 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
So, why doesn’t your daily routine vary much? Is that by choice? Do you an adverterous type? If not, why not? Do you have a ton of friends? If not, how come?

You’re not going to have a developmental disability like autism and not be impacted. Think about how you are impacted and also include how you aren’t impacted. I think these would be interesting things to discuss. What’s it like for you to be autistic. In fact, why don’t you write an essay in here.....

What is like to be Asperger96 as it relates to autism? Why don’t you tell US your unique story. You have something to say: what is it?

(Typed this up and lost it, had to retype)

I'm sorry I misspoke, I meant my routine does not really deviate from the typical college student. My problem is that most of the issues I still face as an adult are interpersonal and emotional issues, which are very difficult to articulate meaningfully.

I don't have alot of friends, none of them go to my college.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 8:59 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Another structure that could work for you is your road to diagnosis. Examples,

- Did well in elementary school except socially
- Developed depression in early teens, middle school especially hard
- What happened that resulted in a referral for evaluation
- Things my family (or school) did for me that really helped
- Things that they should have done differently

Don't use my list - generate your own. I'm just suggesting a general approach you might take.

Thank you, I'm going to include something along these lines.

motorcyclemama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2018, 9:20 pm

Maybe focus on the difference between aspies and nts even though I don’t really see the difference myself. I know I’m odd, I know that other people don’t analyse social situations consciously the way I have to do do. I know tha most people recognise faces and names where I have to fake it until I am given a clue on who they are and I fake it because I don’t want to hurt and I don’t want be embarras myself at the same time. It seems that social interactions come naturally to most people or so I’m told. But to me they are hard work, mental work, where I have to logically scrutinise words, expressions, body language. Most people do it intuitively, so I’m told. I wish I knew what that means. It makes me tired, exhausts me, drains my energy, yet I am not antisocial. I love to love and be loved, yet for me it takes a lot more work. I wish I could sometimes see life as nts do, but that would mean I’m not me. Aspergers is not my disorder, it’s what I am