Do you think there are any POSITIVE symptoms of autism?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 427
Location: NS, Canada

01 May 2018, 8:10 am

Combining quotes from your two posts here:

katy_rome wrote:
Post 1
Anyway what is organic chemistry?

Post 2
And I quite like being annoyingly ironic.
Think I need to give this one a bit more thought...


Post 1
Organic chemistry, is, in a nutshell, the study of the chemistry of all compounds containing carbon. There are over 20 million unique described organic chemicals according to Google, although that's probably a gross underestimate, as the chemical abstracts services lists tens of millions (according to their website). Here's a summary of organic chemistry to keep this post short.

Post 2
Yes, thinking before doing something is generally not a bad idea. Being annoyingly ironic leads to clickbaity titles... which are fine, so long as what's inside is good. It's when a clickbaity title leads to a whole bunch of misinformation that it becomes a problem.


_________________
~Glflegolas, the Country Chemist & Tropical Tracker
MBTI personality: The Commander (ENTJ-A)
Asperger's Quiz: 79ND/111NT, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 RAADS-R score: here


AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 409
Location: United States

01 May 2018, 9:05 am

Glflegolas wrote:
*Lastly, I've a broad range of interests other than those I've mentioned above, including, but not limited to, Maritime history, geography/geology of Nova Scotia, Canadian cartography, Lord of the Rings, being outdoors, I'd better stop now or else this list will get too long...


Yes! A lack of intense and diverse interests is what confuses me most when it comes to "normality." I don't understand how other people can live happily without pursuing obsessive points of interest. What do they do with all their spare time? What do they think about?


_________________
Bored, bored, bored.


katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

01 May 2018, 10:17 am

AceofPens wrote:
Glflegolas wrote:
*Lastly, I've a broad range of interests other than those I've mentioned above, including, but not limited to, Maritime history, geography/geology of Nova Scotia, Canadian cartography, Lord of the Rings, being outdoors, I'd better stop now or else this list will get too long...


Yes! A lack of intense and diverse interests is what confuses me most when it comes to "normality." I don't understand how other people can live happily without pursuing obsessive points of interest. What do they do with all their spare time? What do they think about?


Maybe with their spare time most people mindlessly surf internet... social media etc. and watch telly? Possibly.
And what they think about? Now there’s a good question.



MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 348

01 May 2018, 10:21 am

katy_rome wrote:
AceofPens wrote:
Glflegolas wrote:
*Lastly, I've a broad range of interests other than those I've mentioned above, including, but not limited to, Maritime history, geography/geology of Nova Scotia, Canadian cartography, Lord of the Rings, being outdoors, I'd better stop now or else this list will get too long...


Yes! A lack of intense and diverse interests is what confuses me most when it comes to "normality." I don't understand how other people can live happily without pursuing obsessive points of interest. What do they do with all their spare time? What do they think about?


Maybe with their spare time most people mindlessly surf internet... social media etc. and watch telly? Possibly.
And what they think about? Now there’s a good question.


With their spare time they socialize. For me, pursuing special interest is oftentimes a way of dealing with loneliness; socialization would fill that gap.



katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

01 May 2018, 10:26 am

Glflegolas wrote:
Combining quotes from your two posts here:

Post 1
Organic chemistry, is, in a nutshell, the study of the chemistry of all compounds containing carbon. There are over 20 million unique described organic chemicals according to Google, although that's probably a gross underestimate, as the chemical abstracts services lists tens of millions (according to their website). Here's a summary of organic chemistry to keep this post short.
Interesting. Then I wondered if all life forms contain carbon. I found interesting answers to that. Anyway not to get sidetracked...
ii
Quote:
Post 2
Yes, thinking before doing something is generally not a bad idea. Being annoyingly ironic leads to clickbaity titles... which are fine, so long as what's inside is good. It's when a clickbaity title leads to a whole bunch of misinformation that it becomes a problem.


So, to be or not to be (annoyingly ironic and clickbaity... Hate that word.. and concept, eeugh, though want people to click. Torn)
Thinking before doing has never been my strongest point. Working on it. :?



Last edited by katy_rome on 01 May 2018, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

01 May 2018, 10:47 am

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
katy_rome wrote:
AceofPens wrote:

With their spare time they socialize. For me, pursuing special interest is oftentimes a way of dealing with loneliness; socialization would fill that gap.


Yes, true.

From my observations I think that autistic people... while it’s true not being able to handle too much socialising as it is exhausting and draining... also often suffer from extremely low self-esteem (besides being usually quite sensitive to rejection) and therefore simply do not realise how very valuable their contributions could be in social contexts.

If only things were set up and organised in way that would make that possible. And society overall could adapt its mindset a little (ok, a lot). For example the way schools are currently set up is a real killer for any autistic kids trying to develop friend-making skills at an early age. E.g. groups too large, spaces too small (and indoors), everything too loud and chaotic, not enough time and provision for in-depth work on own projects. The list goes on. And let’s face it they are usually pretty hostile and competitive places (as is our society as a whole).

I think a LOT more could (and should) be done on many fronts, to combat that loneliness. It’s madness that the very people the world needs most right now - those who think differently - are prevented from fully contributing.

I should mention that by now I have been on many forums online, of all different kinds, and I have not yet found one where people:
- listen carefully
- think things through, and consider their responses
- answer with clarity and honesty
- and have genuinely interesting, original and intelligent views
as much as they do here.

So it really pisses me off that when I go out and about what I hear most often and loudest are the voices of... well, usually pretty ignorant, competitive and self-absorbed people, who have very little to say.

Apologies, I know I tend to get a little heated about these things... :|



aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

02 May 2018, 5:02 am

Nope , not fitting in will get you know were unless you have a iq of 150 + and a "special interest "


_________________
Theirs a subset of America, adult males who are forgoing ambition ,sex , money ,love ,adventure to sit in a darkened rooms mastering video games - Suicide Bob


aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

02 May 2018, 5:08 am

Yes animals like us but why? " I'm ok thinking less of normals who like us , though I don't like thinking this way about animals , especially so as a vegan ie you can not be a meat eating animal lover FACT


_________________
Theirs a subset of America, adult males who are forgoing ambition ,sex , money ,love ,adventure to sit in a darkened rooms mastering video games - Suicide Bob


aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

02 May 2018, 5:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't really like threads like these because there are lots of things listed in this thread that lots of us may not have, but some posters make it sound like 99% of us do have them like "oh Aspies can do X but NTs can't" sort of thing. Plus some of these are personality traits.



Nts are more guilty of this , my "NT" family trying to tell me what this us :roll:


_________________
Theirs a subset of America, adult males who are forgoing ambition ,sex , money ,love ,adventure to sit in a darkened rooms mastering video games - Suicide Bob


Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,832
Location: Where the Great Plains meet the Northern Pines

02 May 2018, 6:37 am

Ma Nature is pretty sloppy about genetics; like some artists, she relies on happy accidents. There are many failed experiments, but I think that cost is more than offset by the general leavening of civilization by creative thinkers. Aspies have the social isolation and sustained interest needed to develop everything from flint knapping to programming.

Re: animals, one farm dog I knew barked at most visitors, sometimes persistently, but when I arrived, even her ruff stayed flat.



superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 289
Location: Scandinavia

02 May 2018, 8:03 am

I think people with autism are generally more accepting and understanding as well as more honest and kind than other people i've met.



katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

03 May 2018, 1:59 pm

superaliengirl wrote:
I think people with autism are generally more accepting and understanding as well as more honest and kind than other people i've met.


Yes. Maybe when one is 'different' one tends to be more understanding of others.

Kindness too is a quality I identify with.
Maybe also the recognition/detection of true kindness in others.



katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

03 May 2018, 2:05 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I don't really like threads like these because there are lots of things listed in this thread that lots of us may not have, but some posters make it sound like 99% of us do have them like "oh Aspies can do X but NTs can't" sort of thing. Plus some of these are personality traits.



Nts are more guilty of this , my "NT" family trying to tell me what this us :roll:


I suppose pointing out the positives (yes many of which are character traits - but it seems a lot of these traits are seen quite consistently, i.e. in many autistic people... or the 'missing' of traits - that also seems pretty consistent. Traits such as conformism, competitiveness, doing stuff just to make yourself look good in front of others) just brings up the argument - that not EVERYTHING about autism is bad! Look up 'lists of symptoms' online and all you'll find is the bad stuff. In my view that's one-sided.



katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

03 May 2018, 2:08 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Ma Nature is pretty sloppy about genetics; like some artists, she relies on happy accidents. There are many failed experiments, but I think that cost is more than offset by the general leavening of civilization by creative thinkers. Aspies have the social isolation and sustained interest needed to develop everything from flint knapping to programming.

Re: animals, one farm dog I knew barked at most visitors, sometimes persistently, but when I arrived, even her ruff stayed flat.


:)
I like this idea.
(and I reckon sometimes dogs detect more.. or differently.. from humans)