REG: Interesting Customer Interaction

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2018, 9:04 pm

Greetings All:

It's been awhile since I've posted something from my volunteer job (or anything at all for that matter) and a couple of weeks ago I got a very strange interaction with a customer on the phones and it went a little something like this:

Me: Hello and thank you for calling yada, yada, yada...
Customer: [gives first and last name]
Me: OK Ms. Smith is OK if I address you by your first name?
Customer: Approves
Me: And can I get a good callback number in case we were to get disconnected?
Customer: [gives number]
Me: Just to confirm...
Customer: I'm curious, do you have autism?
Me: yes, I do have an autism diagnosis. Just to confirm your...
Customer: I want to be with you forever and I think you're cute.
Me: uh... Thanks I guess as I was saying I'd like...
Customer: That's so cute that you're working in a call center and you're nonverbal.
*** and it continues on and on for the rest of the call like this she cuts me off to ask a question unrelated to my job function but rather my autism diagnosis or that I'm nonverbal (or make a comment that I'm cute or something of a kind)***

Upon further investigation with other colleagues, I discovered she's known for calling here a lot with various tech issues and we fix it like we always do. No body (on the spectrum or not) has ever experienced this kind of behavior from this customer, not even the CEO (Krystal who uses the exact same hardware and software I use to communicate (iPad running DynaVox Compass) and who does not have any history of an autism diagnosis).

I was left wondering these questions:
1. what is this woman's angle?
2. why me? We have other colleagues who possess similar capabilities (autistic or nonverbal or both) to me and she's had (according to her Customer
Global Jacket and interaction history) numerous interactions with them before and never gone head over heals for any one of them other than me.
3. Krystal's dealt with this person on numerous calls and has never been proposed to, declared the object of her affection, or otherwise "crushed on" in any way; is it my name, is it my diagnosis, does this woman have an attraction to nonverbal autistic people?
4. other autistic colleagues (verbal or not) have not had this response... how weird.
5. Do I have a giant neon sign that says "I'm autistic" above my head or something of a kind that somehow this woman can see from her location as this woman keyed in on that near instantly.

I don't know what's with this woman, but I'd sure love some answers and thoughts on the matter. Krystal and even our head of security have made numerous attempts at contacting her but she refuses to answer the calls I wonder what would happen if I called her directly.

Any input on this would be much appreciated

- feel free to send a PM
- more than likely on a mobile device

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 10:49 pm

cfleischmann wrote:
Greetings All:

It's been awhile since I've posted something from my volunteer job (or anything at all for that matter) and a couple of weeks ago I got a very strange interaction with a customer on the phones and it went a little something like this:

Me: Hello and thank you for calling yada, yada, yada...
Customer: [gives first and last name]
Me: OK Ms. Smith is OK if I address you by your first name?
Customer: Approves
Me: And can I get a good callback number in case we were to get disconnected?
Customer: [gives number]
Me: Just to confirm...
Customer: I'm curious, do you have autism?
Me: yes, I do have an autism diagnosis. Just to confirm your...
Customer: I want to be with you forever and I think you're cute.
Me: uh... Thanks I guess as I was saying I'd like...
Customer: That's so cute that you're working in a call center and you're nonverbal.
*** and it continues on and on for the rest of the call like this she cuts me off to ask a question unrelated to my job function but rather my autism diagnosis or that I'm nonverbal (or make a comment that I'm cute or something of a kind)***

Upon further investigation with other colleagues, I discovered she's known for calling here a lot with various tech issues and we fix it like we always do. No body (on the spectrum or not) has ever experienced this kind of behavior from this customer, not even the CEO (Krystal who uses the exact same hardware and software I use to communicate (iPad running DynaVox Compass) and who does not have any history of an autism diagnosis).

I was left wondering these questions:
1. what is this woman's angle?
2. why me? We have other colleagues who possess similar capabilities (autistic or nonverbal or both) to me and she's had (according to her Customer
Global Jacket and interaction history) numerous interactions with them before and never gone head over heals for any one of them other than me.
3. Krystal's dealt with this person on numerous calls and has never been proposed to, declared the object of her affection, or otherwise "crushed on" in any way; is it my name, is it my diagnosis, does this woman have an attraction to nonverbal autistic people?
4. other autistic colleagues (verbal or not) have not had this response... how weird.
5. Do I have a giant neon sign that says "I'm autistic" above my head or something of a kind that somehow this woman can see from her location as this woman keyed in on that near instantly.

I don't know what's with this woman, but I'd sure love some answers and thoughts on the matter. Krystal and even our head of security have made numerous attempts at contacting her but she refuses to answer the calls I wonder what would happen if I called her directly.

Any input on this would be much appreciated

Perhaps this customer was trolling you, but still it was very strange and your supervisor or someone else should take that person's call next time they call.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2018, 10:57 am

Perhaps because your name is the same as the celebrity, the person thought that they were speaking with her.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 4:25 am

I think since it seems to be an isolated experience, to just shrug it off best as you can. It was just plain weirdness on her end and how can one decipher someone's weirdness in a situation like that. Maybe she was intoxicated at the time.

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2018, 4:44 am

Thanks all for the replies!

I have spoken with my supervisor, and our CEO. And everyone has tried to get in touch with this individual to follow up, and it looks like this is not an isolated incident because she keeps spewing supposed her love for me even to colleagues. considering that no one seems to have any ideas at work anyway about this, I will be asking supervisor to take her calls if they come across my desk agaiin. I did get a chance ask her why she acts this way towards me, but her response was that she loves me and wants to marry me and all of this other interesting. Sadly, this is just plain too weird even for me. I did look at this customer’s profile, and she is older than me by about seven or eight years. And she still won’t explain to me what about me in particular gets her thinking and acting in this manner. thank you all for your feedback, I look forward to any further follow up or new angles anyone may provide about this incident.

- feel free to send a PM

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 5:17 am

I mean isolated in that it's just her. I'd be worried more about the neon arrow effect if it was more people acting that way. But yeah majorly creepy person. Definitely an issue. Sorry you're in this situation.

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2018, 1:08 am

Update on this situation:

She’s back... calling my colleagues and trying to get back to me. She’s got an uncanny ability to know when we’ve got a low number of staff members working and usually when I’m working. Her call came across my desk again and I took the call like I always do and finally got a response from her on this issue. Her reason for “loving me” like she does is the following:

1. I am nonverbal and autistic (just as Abigail Lorraine Maass (from the FatheringAutism YouTube channel)). This girl has a lesbian crush on the 13-year-old but can’t act on it so she instead redirects that crush to me
2. She’s got a daughter on the spectrum and she sees me as some sort of roll model for her daughter
3. She’s read my autobiography and seen my photos on company websites and thinks that since I identify as a “hologram” that I’m “sexier than the average human.”
4. Plus she likes the sound of either of the voices I use on my iPad.

With this new information in hand, management and our security team are thinking that limiting her access to me once or twice a week in a supervised manner might ease up the pain on all of us as:
1. She’s not incessantly calling trying to get hold of me
2. The interaction and timing is coordinated to not cause business interruption
3. This lady seems harmless on the phones but would be supervised by our security team if she decides to meet me in person.
4. We figure controlled interactions with me will keep her from going off the deep end and trying to get hold of Abigail Lorraine or have some sort of breakdown.

Honestly I think this woman might see me as some sort of special interest or something. I’ve never seen a customer respond in this way.

- feel free to send a PM

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 7:09 am

Sounds like she could be classified as a "stalker".

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sounds like she could be classified as a "stalker".

At least she’s redirecting her crush on a child away from that hold. I still don’t really understand what set her off the deep end with me though? Her explanations kind of make sense but ehy now?

- feel free to send a PM