Is this a bad strategy for coping with special interests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2018, 4:42 pm

So I’m one of those people who is painfully aware of how little people care about my special interests. So I often shitpost a lot about my special interest on less serious online communities. I do this to avoid talking too much about special interests in real life or more serious online communities, but I’m worried it’s not working. Do you think this strategy works?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 7:18 pm

I post on a board about my special interest and it has helped a lot.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2018, 8:37 pm

I've tried it, too. Just today I was on Google looking for forums to suit my interests. It's not the same, though, at least for me. There's still a need to unload that information somehow, and that's not to mention how hard it is to find communities for some more obscure interests. They say that there's a corner of the internet for everything, but I can tell you from experience that they're wrong.
More than forums, one thing that helped me last fall was starting a novel and incorporating my interests into the plot. My family was given a two-month-long reprieve from my jabbering. Writing books was already a hobby of mine, though. If it's not your kind of recreational activity, maybe there's some other creative outlet that will help you burn off some steam. Building a website is another medium that I've tried.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm

AceofPens wrote:
I've tried it, too. Just today I was on Google looking for forums to suit my interests. It's not the same, though, at least for me. There's still a need to unload that information somehow, and that's not to mention how hard it is to find communities for some more obscure interests. They say that there's a corner of the internet for everything, but I can tell you from experience that they're wrong.
More than forums, one thing that helped me last fall was starting a novel and incorporating my interests into the plot. My family was given a two-month-long reprieve from my jabbering. Writing books was already a hobby of mine, though. If it's not your kind of recreational activity, maybe there's some other creative outlet that will help you burn off some steam. Building a website is another medium that I've tried.

I know the feeling. Is there any online community for people who like to listen to foreign music? Not necessarily foreign music from one specific country or folk/world music. Just foreign music in general? I like to shitpost about foreign music I like, but I know I’m annoying some people. I only do this on communities where everyone kind of trolls each other. It would be nice to post somewhere where I’m not annoying. Unfortunately when I do post on online communities about my interest I get worried people will think I’m posting too much. It’s so much more of a punch in the gut when people who share interests with me tell me I’m posting too much about my interest than people who obviously don’t.

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2018, 7:44 pm

I suppose I'm lucky in that my primary special interest is coding, so sites like stackoverflow or quora are a great outlet for me. I can post answers to questions that suit my more specific interests like lexical analysis and kernel development. I would say that it's a good idea, if it helps you express your special interests, and you can find a community that revolves around it.

Quote:
one thing that helped me last fall was starting a novel and incorporating my interests into the plot.

I love writing. Never really published anything, though I do want to. It's a fantastic outlet! :)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 7:13 am

I only actively socialize with people who actively share my special interests.

Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 8:33 am

I used an app called Cold Turkey to block the websites which were my special interests. When it got worse, I blocked them on my smartphone, too. Went on and off like that for a few months, then the interests gradually changed nature and became less intense. I also found the merits of being lazy as a special interest -- it lets the brain recharge from the many social encounters one faces during a typical day.

In real life I just learned the golden rule of shutting up. :?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 8:48 am

I used to post on a Siamese cat site (sadly, it no longer exists) where I could talk about Siamese, cats and pets all I wanted to. They were also receptive to my other special interests and had an understanding of exactly why I liked certain people and places.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 10:06 am

I have a Tumblr, a Twitter, and an Instagram and a few other website accounts all dedicated to my special interest. I think it can be a great outlet. Those websites have helped me find others who share my love and they don't get tired of talking about it.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2018, 7:36 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I have a Tumblr, a Twitter, and an Instagram and a few other website accounts all dedicated to my special interest. I think it can be a great outlet. Those websites have helped me find others who share my love and they don't get tired of talking about it.

I doubt any other non-Jewish/non-Israeli people are really interested in Israeli music. Social media is awkward. I prefer 4chan type sites.

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

03 May 2018, 3:29 pm

Balbituate wrote:
I doubt any other non-Jewish/non-Israeli people are really interested in Israeli music.

My younger brother likes to listen to Israeli music.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2018, 4:21 pm

Aavikkorotta wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
I doubt any other non-Jewish/non-Israeli people are really interested in Israeli music.

Interesting. What type and why did he get into it?

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

04 May 2018, 10:13 pm

Balbituate wrote:
Aavikkorotta wrote:
Balbituate wrote:

Interesting. What type and why did he get into it?

I asked him and he listed some of his favorites:
Praise to our God concert 5
ashuv eleicha
Psalm 150 in Hebrew

"Hebrew sounds good...and it's worship music"