Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:50 pm

My special interests vary on a spectrum. Some days I can go without learning something new about them, though most days I do. Other days, they're practically all I think about. Sometimes everything that I say is about them, other times, I speak of them frequently, and still other times only at certain points in the day.

My interests cover the full spectrum from "strong" to "average" to "extremely intense", though they never go away. Is this odd?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:55 pm

I get that way. I don't think it's odd. I think it's pretty normal.

Wreck It Ralph

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2018, 12:45 am

My interests vary in intensity. On days of least intensity I may just read for a couple of hours and spend some time processing information in my head. Other days I am obsessed to the total exclusion of anything else. Sometimes I have a long run of days or weeks of low intensity interest then become totally obsessed for days or weeks. There is never a day when I don't indulge them to some extent though.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 3:54 am

No. Absolutely nothing has changed since I learned to read. <SARCASM>

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 6:11 am

Yeah, the intensity of my interests vary a lot. For instance when I have new video games, I can play for many hours a day for days or weeks (dependent on how much I like the game and what I try to do in it), then not play at all for days, weeks, months.
There are days when I spend hours reading books, and there are times I don't read at all.

I never lose interest in say games or books but when I don't feel like engaging with them, I can go quite some time without gaming/ reading etc.

So my intensity varies from there but not currently active and all the way to very intense

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 7:01 am

I'll sometimes find myself ignoring a special interest if it's got bogged down in diminishing returns where I've put in loads of work but got nothing for it. My interests are usually of the "goal" type, and sometimes I can't find a path to the end reward. So the matter falls by the wayside. I think for me the most important thing is whether or not the special interest is developing. If I've scoured the world in vain for a way of doing a thing, I lose interest, but if a new, feasible way to the goal occurs to me, I'll soon be chasing after it again.

I've also had to learn to avoid hyperfocussing on a special interest if I have something more urgent coming up, or my life falls to pieces. I'm quite good at deciding that it would be reckless to pursue a thing, and thus keeping away from it.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 1:02 pm

I can take an interest in something and be very good at it. If someone recognises it and tries to push.. me into being better at the interest the stress of that makes me lose interest. No matter how well meaning the other person is who thinks he or she is encouraging me it has the opposite effect on me and I Only remember the pain of the pushing causing anxiety and unnecessary stress. :idea:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 8:52 am

I am very passionate about my special interests, particularly cats, tennis and the history of every country I ever studied in depth. My interest in Russia has been very strong lately because of Denis Istomin.

Mr. Vague
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2018, 4:25 pm

i try to balance them out as it can be with negative effect with a young family. i now allow myself times to get really into things but have to be mindful that i dont lose focus on life lol!