I think I’ll just start seeing NTs as disabled

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 6:06 pm

I think the two way failure of empathy - between NT and AS people is far more important than the binary division of empathy into two separate divisions.

The binary is a concept that IMO ignores that both aspects are intertwined in the perceptual process. The binary division gets quoted all the time as if it were more than a theory based on some questionable methodology.

It's a meme that cries out for some application of critical thinking and analysis.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 6:20 pm

NTs are disabled in comparison in many areas.

As aspies we have super human hearing, touch, and smell. There’s negatives to it - but even sound drives Superman and Daredevil insane. I’d love Daredevil’s bed from the movie with Ben Affleck.

Then, we can memorize facts a lot easier and take in information. We pay attention more to detail.

Plus, we don’t rely on needing human interaction to get by. Whereas NTs rely on others, to me that’s a form of disability - reliance. They’d go crazy without it lol.

So, yeah, NTs are actually more the classic definition of disabled.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2018, 9:15 pm

B19 wrote:
I think the two way failure of empathy - between NT and AS people is far more important than the binary division of empathy into two separate divisions.

Worthwhile noting that as the minority, AS people have much more experience in accommodating NT needs than the other way around, as > 90% of our interactions are with NTs – unless we explicitly optimise our lives for an autistic lifestyle.

However, I believe it is a big mistake to look at the problematic aspect as being the difference in neurology and the resulting differences in individual perception and behaviour. Instead the hyper-competitive "civilised" cultures in which we live have become problematic. There is plenty of evidence that point towards what you could call a diseased culture. The case I am making goes beyond the social model of disability, as the evidence indicates that our culture is causing significant mental health issues far beyond the autistic community. To get to the root causes and to identify potential paths forward requires a transdisciplinary analysis that is not restricted to the myopic perspective and the often self serving interests of the autism industry:

Observation 1: The hyper-competitive nature of our society is an emergent property of civilisation, it is not typical human nature. Human babies are intrinsically helpful and collaborative (Michael Tomasello, Why we cooperate, 2009), but they soak up cultural norms and beliefs like a sponge.

Observation 2: It is extremely easy to underestimate the powerful force of cultural transmission within the NT population. This little experiment that compares cultural transmission between typical and autistic children https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ocDm ... 9UWHM/view

Corollary 1: Most people have the potential to be really nice https://youtu.be/8rCUQDVd-5s

Corollary 2: Most people have the potential to be really horrible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwfNs1pqG0

Observation 3: There is plenty of evidence that our culture is diseased, making many humans sick http://s23m.com/techweek2018/

Observation 4: Neurodivergence is at the core of creativity and innovation https://autcollab.org/deep-innovation/

Observation 5: The variability and distribution of cognitive lenses in society has long term evolutionary survival value https://autcollab.org/2018/04/09/autist ... arthlings/

Observation 6: At this point in time our society is critically dependent on autistic originality and perseverance, to shift cultural norms towards a more humane set of arrangements that are more compatible with the needs of all the non-human creatures on this planet https://autcollab.org/2018/04/05/what-s ... c-culture/

Observation 7: Inspite of what the autism industry often tells us, AS people are not necessarily bad at teamwork. In fact, honest collaboration is our unique advantage, and there is a growing body of knowledge on autistic forms of collaboration https://autcollab.org/about/, https://autcollab.org/knowledge-repository/

Observation 8: Whilst our current culture sucks, the world is a dynamic place, and it is easy to underestimate how much can potentially change over the course of one or more decades https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141009.htm

Krakenhaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2018, 12:18 pm

Imqua wrote:
It just makes me feel hopeless when all my social issues are seen as mistakes I make and NTs naturally know the correct answer. If I just see it as me accommodating to their way of thinking and limitations it seems *a lot* more do-able. Like when I talk a bit too much instead of scolding myself for being a useless or slow aspie I can instead tell myself “Remember that NTs can’t process language the same way you do. Try to keep things more short and snappy so they can pay attention better.” It’s not like I stop seeing myself as disabled either. I just feel more like I’m on even ground with NTs when I see them as disabled. Or at least approach issues with them the same way I’d approach issues with people who don’t think like me.

But how do you know that NTs don't think like you? Maybe they do?

How do you know that they see your social issues as mistakes you make?

How do you know that they can't process what you are telling them?

These are BS assumptions.

Spooky_Mulder wrote:

As aspies we have super human hearing, touch, and smell. There’s negatives to it - but even sound drives Superman and Daredevil insane. I’d love Daredevil’s bed from the movie with Ben Affleck.

Then, we can memorize facts a lot easier and take in information. We pay attention more to detail.

Plus, we don’t rely on needing human interaction to get by. Whereas NTs rely on others, to me that’s a form of disability - reliance. They’d go crazy without it lol.

This is utter rubbish.

You are literally Hitler if you say things like that. We are all the same human beings. I wish we lived back in the 1930s before this whole alleged "NT / ND dichotomy" fallacy was "discovered". Your whole life is a lie because you have been told that you are "special" due to some BS diagnosis. How can you trust Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger, they were Nazis.

Autism was "discovered" (read: invented) by Nazi "scientists" in 1943-44.

Same people who invented autism killed 6 million Jews because they saw them as "disabled", just like you see NTs. We are all the same: we love the same, feel the same, suffer the same, etc. You do not have "super human" anything.

Everyone has their quirks, differences, limitations but fundamentally we are all humans, same species.

We are not two different types of humans, we are not two different species.

You can't look down on NTs like the OP did. I think her opinions are fueled by resentment and hate.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 1:37 pm

Ok yes they do have processing issues sometimes (they cant process certain information very well and their theories in some cases are definitely dubious) but that does not mean they are impaired or backwards. They just have different abilities to you. End of.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 1:46 pm

Krakenhaus wrote:
Imqua wrote:
It just makes me feel hopeless when all my social issues are seen as mistakes I make and NTs naturally know the correct answer. If I just see it as me accommodating to their way of thinking and limitations it seems *a lot* more do-able. Like when I talk a bit too much instead of scolding myself for being a useless or slow aspie I can instead tell myself “Remember that NTs can’t process language the same way you do. Try to keep things more short and snappy so they can pay attention better.” It’s not like I stop seeing myself as disabled either. I just feel more like I’m on even ground with NTs when I see them as disabled. Or at least approach issues with them the same way I’d approach issues with people who don’t think like me.

Spooky_Mulder wrote:

This is utter rubbish.

You are literally Hitler if you say things like that. We are all the same human beings. I wish we lived back in the 1930s before this whole alleged "NT / ND dichotomy" fallacy was "discovered". Your whole life is a lie because you have been told that you are "special" due to some BS diagnosis. How can you trust Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger, they were Nazis.

Same people who invented autism killed 6 million Jews because they saw them as "disabled", just like you see NTs. We are all the same: we love the same, feel the same, suffer the same, etc. You do not have "super human" anything.

Everyone has their quirks, differences, limitations but fundamentally we are all humans, same species.

You can't look down on NTs like the OP did. I think her opinions are fueled by resentment and hate.

No NT's definitely don't think like me..no one on this earth does...how do i know? I've lived here for 43 years (on this planet) and never once have I met someone whom thinks like me. I've long accepted this. It seems I am unique...no this does not make me arrogant, just lonely as I know there is no other human whom thinks in the same way I do and that as a result, I can never relate to other life forms. I will be lonely until the day I die because I think and feel like no other human that has ever existed.

Oh well

Hitlers theories were bases on Eugenics and Eugenics are full of s**t. Can't be arsed to explain, it won't make any difference anyway.

Anyway, NTs definitely dont thing like me....no one does...not even any of you. No offence meant.
But yet more BS belief sytems

Do you know what makes me sad?

That the suffering in this world does not need to exist.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 2:32 pm

Whenever you think the other person is wrong, it is always helpful to look at this person like if this person was your own child, with love and mercy.

After all, we were all once ignorant, selfish, and stupid children and we all still have a lot to learn.

Krakenhaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2018, 2:48 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
No NT's definitely don't think like me..no one on this earth does...how do i know? I've lived here for 43 years (on this planet) and never once have I met someone whom thinks like me. I've long accepted this. It seems I am unique...no this does not make me arrogant, just lonely as I know there is no other human whom thinks in the same way I do and that as a result, I can never relate to other life forms. I will be lonely until the day I die because I think and feel like no other human that has ever existed.

What exactly is so unique about your way of thinking? Even if you are right that nobody else thinks exactly like you, it still doesn't justify loneliness. People can get along well not only with people who think exactly like them, but also with people who think differently. Partners who think differently can still complete each other and inspire each other, open each other's eyes to new points of view. You just have to become open-minded. You can be compatible with someone who is different.

I was not arguing that everyone is identical.

I was only arguing that two random NTs are just as different from each other as a random Aspie is from a random NT. You cannot treat all NTs as a "uniform block". It is wrong to label and treat people as NTs as if it defines who they are.

Krakenhaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2018, 2:58 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Anyway, NTs definitely dont thing like me....no one does...not even any of you. No offence meant.

It does not offend me when you say that I don't think like you.

But saying that I can't understand you is offensive to my intelligence. The OP said that she will treat NTs like someone intellectually inferior to her, and she will assume that they can't understand her messages unless she simplifies them.

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

I agree. But so far nobody came up with and implemented a universal solution to the problem of suffering.

It makes many people sad, so you are not alone in this thinking.

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Ok yes they do have processing issues sometimes (they cant process certain information very well and their theories in some cases are definitely dubious) but that does not mean they are impaired or backwards. They just have different abilities to you. End of.

Not all NTs hold the same beliefs and support the same theories. What theories you are talking about, for example?

Also problems with processing information depend on each individual.

It's not like all NTs have the exact same type of processing issues. Each individual person has different problems.

Krakenhaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2018, 3:32 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
I have often made the point that I've had to dumb down my point of view when I talk about subjects of music, science and technology or space exploration for NTs so that they can better understand my viewpoint. When I don't have this filter on, all I get are blank stares sometimes. Most NTs seem either unwilling or unable to ask a question in order to better understand me. Whether this is arrogance or simply lack of intelligence is unknown to me at this time. Those in the group who are Autistic seem to have no problem with these subjects.

It does not tell us anything about NTs as a whole. It only shows that you chose to hang out with people who are not interested in the subjects of music, science, technology and space exploration.

There are plenty of NTs who are interested in these subjects, and you would not get blank stares from them. But for whatever reasons, you prefer to hang out with ignorants on these subjects.

You also did not tell us about context of these social situations you described.

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

It seems to me that you just cannot stand the idea that you are not a special snowflake.

Obviously there is someone who thinks like you, there are 7 billion people on this planet.

You have only met a tiny fraction of all people who live on this planet.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2018, 7:29 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Krakenhaus wrote:
Imqua wrote:

Spooky_Mulder wrote:

This is utter rubbish.

Oh well

Hitlers theories were bases on Eugenics and Eugenics are full of s**t. Can't be arsed to explain, it won't make any difference anyway.

But yet more BS belief sytems

I doubt that's true that literally no one thinks like you maybe you haven't met that person yet but I do feel you. It's rare for me to find someone that I share a deep connection with as well...when I do they are people that are not reachable or fictional so my thinking is unique too. It's an Aquarius thing for me. We are a minority group. Or maybe if some people would prefer my MBTI is INFP (not the lowest number on the list but 4.6 is pretty low)
I might get some people that agree with me but mostly on a shallow level. Even if I come across the rare person who thinks significantly similar on a deep level, they say they are in the same situation so they can't help.

Now I like being the oddball in a way but sometimes you are right that it is lonely even when you are a loner (sometimes that's worse because you don't want any friends you want kindred spirits) and you have a problem it makes it difficult for anyone to help you. That is my main issue. I google things I experience that I have questions about constantly and only get more discouraged.

Spooky_Mulder wrote:

I don't agree with this but I would say that there are plenty of NTs that lack common sense...take for example the fact that I see grocery carts in the middle of the parking lot or even all the way to the apt complex I live in. Except for some states that are more strict about it, there are a lot of litterbugs too. How difficult is it to put it in the trash can? Sometimes it will be even things like chicken bones where a dog could pick it up and get sick.
I also digress that we do have super/above average senses. I always say I'm a vampire forever in transition. I'm bad at filtering/processing auditory speech but I definitely hear everything around me and I'm good at deciphering if someone is off key when they are singing. My eyesight is also bad because I'm nearsighted but I'm very observant. It's definitely not always a good thing though. I've had doctors think I was insane thanks to my HSP brain.

xatrix26 wrote:

I have often made the point that I've had to dumb down my point of view when I talk about subjects of music, science and technology or space exploration for NTs so that they can better understand my viewpoint.

I think I agree that you're hanging out with the wrong people. A lot of people like music, science and technology but it probably does depend on the degree. I have yet to find someone who is interested in music like I am to the point it's my whole life..the only exception is people who are already musicians. But a lot of people do actually like music or else the Voice wouldn't have gone on so long.

LadyLucifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2018, 2:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't buy all this 'neurotypical syndrome' talk. I know it's just a joke to make Aspies feel better about themselves, but I don't find it funny, nor does it help me feel better about myself.

Agreed. It really dosen't do anything for anyone except for one or two people.

Quote:

It seems to me that you just cannot stand the idea that you are not a special snowflake.

Obviously there is someone who thinks like you, there are 7 billion people on this planet.

You have only met a tiny fraction of all people who live on this planet.

Bravo, give this man or lady a gold star! You hit the nail on the head.

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.

Cherrydrpepper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2018, 7:32 am

As an NT the truth is the public school system does a terrible job of explaining autism. When someone is blind or in a wheelchair and they cant work its really obvious. When someone has autism and cant work NTs dont have a clue whats going on. And thats really what being disabled comes down to in a societal context. Can you work a job? If you cant you're disabled. Now whether you let that hold you back is up to you. Stephen Hawking comes to mind. I dont think anyone would argue hes not disabled.. But the man has made millions.. Your place in this world does not have to be defined by money. Many people have an artistic, charitible or spiritual pursuit that drives them.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't buy all this 'neurotypical syndrome' talk. I know it's just a joke to make Aspies feel better about themselves, but I don't find it funny, nor does it help me feel better about myself.

Nor I. I don't think that belittling people who happen to be NT is necessary or, as a matter of fact, particularly considerate.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2018, 12:01 pm

Cherrydrpepper wrote:
As an NT the truth is the public school system does a terrible job of explaining autism. When someone is blind or in a wheelchair and they cant work its really obvious. When someone has autism and cant work NTs dont have a clue whats going on. And thats really what being disabled comes down to in a societal context. Can you work a job? If you cant you're disabled. Now whether you let that hold you back is up to you. Stephen Hawking comes to mind. I dont think anyone would argue hes not disabled.. But the man has made millions.. Your place in this world does not have to be defined by money. Many people have an artistic, charitible or spiritual pursuit that drives them.

It's funny because if you can work a job but you struggle to land a job more than is normal, they don't consider you worthy of extra help. A lot of NTs see things in black and white unfortunately.
The public school system is crap in general. That's why. Like I loved a lot of my teachers but the whole system is ridiculous. They think if you're at least getting Cs in most of your classes they never realize you have a problem. Because of that lack of individualized attention, they won't see that you have to work harder on your assignments than everyone else. Even if they realize you do need help on your assignments that's all you're going to get. When you leave high school, you're essentially just pushed out the door. When I met with the counselor before graduating she asked me so what do you want to do? I don't remember my exact words but I was like I know what careers interest me but I have no idea how to get there. She just basically sent me on my way. The most you get is those aptitude tests. No one even warned me about what colleges not to go to either. They will also push college/trade school on you by having you take those tours but won't at all help you decide where to go. My last year I even played hooky a lot which although I was late constantly before skipping a whole day wasn't like me. No one really thought about it. I think I was put in detention once and that was all.