Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2005, 9:49 pm

pyraxis wrote:
Why does another's life have more intrinsic value that one's own?

Well for one thing, numbers are different. Each individual guard could sacrifice his own life to save like 20 different Jews by letting them all out.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2005, 10:03 pm

What if he could save more from the inside? Keep his role as a guard but use it to secretly share food rations for example? Also, who knows how many more lives he could save over the course of his lifetime if he didn't sacrifice himself. And if he did let the 20 prisoners free, chances are they would be hunted down and recaptured very quickly as they would have no supplies or shelter and be in such bad health from the camps that they could not travel far. And who would take care of the guard's family when they were accused of being traitors like their father/husband?

It's true that if the guards united and were willing to sacrifice themselves, they could have saved most of the prisoners. It's also true that if the prisoners worked together and a few were willing to die, they could have overthrown the guards (even though the guards had guns, they were massively outnumbered). In that case, it does become a question of the few being willing to die to save the many. The key would have been communication - which is probably why the authority figures made sure communication was kept to a minimum, and encouraged infighting among prisoners by limiting survival resources like food.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2005, 10:31 pm

Well delivering the food inside wouldn't help much given that they are to be gassed anyway. As for your remark that the Jews that are allowed to go might be caught, I personally know a holocaust survivor whom parents simply dropped on the other side of the fense when he was 5 and told him whom to go to for a hiding and he was saved this way so things happen.

Appart from that, there is a moral value. Lets put it this way, if there is only enough food for one person then it might be justifiable for you to eat it and let the other person die. But in case of Nazis, if you will agree with them to save your skin you will support their ideology by your action. I am NOT saying that you are going to influence anyone. You are right there was no communication. But for your own consciuosness it is nice NOT to support bad ideologies.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2005, 7:03 am

Roman wrote:
Well delivering the food inside wouldn't help much given that they are to be gassed anyway. As for your remark that the Jews that are allowed to go might be caught, I personally know a holocaust survivor whom parents simply dropped on the other side of the fense when he was 5 and told him whom to go to for a hiding and he was saved this way so things happen.

Appart from that, there is a moral value. Lets put it this way, if there is only enough food for one person then it might be justifiable for you to eat it and let the other person die. But in case of Nazis, if you will agree with them to save your skin you will support their ideology by your action. I am NOT saying that you are going to influence anyone. You are right there was no communication. But for your own consciuosness it is nice NOT to support bad ideologies.

I agree.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.