What age did you first know the alphabet off by heart?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 12:17 am

I don’t remember. I started school late, cuz of my Psoriasis. I graduated high school when I was 19, 3 months before I turned 20 :oops: :roll: :x

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 12:23 am

I could read at age two, so probably around then.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 12:47 am

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 2:27 am

Prolly in first, or second grade. Six or seven. Don't really remember the moment. Don't remember not knowing it.

Fay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2018, 9:50 am

Late, maybe 8 or 9. Eventually they figured i do have dyslexia. I was at a special class, they classifyd myself as stupid because i didnt wanted to study under these stale circumstances. My teacher she was nice i remember her very well. I cant remember her face though but i remember her warmth. She used to have a dog and she knew im a different kidd and would bring extra for me her dog to class since i bonded with animals very well, she deplyoed special strategies to teach me. I had a dragon :D she made things like learning is like a story and i gett a quest to solve it for the dragoon and boom within 6 months i was able to write and read.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 10:04 am

When I was five.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 1:36 pm

I remember having a preschool video when I was little, and on it was the alphabet song at the beginning. It made me learn the first half of the alphabet, but the way they sung it caused me confusion in the middle. Here's how they sung it on the video:-

"A B C D E F G H I J K elamenopee, elamenopee Q R S T U V W X Y Z".

That middle part where L, M, N, O and P were merged together and repeated again was what caused confusion and so I could only say the alphabet from A-K up until I was 8, which was when I got old enough to read properly for myself and not have to rely on preschool videos to learn my ABCs.

I think if it wasn't for this preschool video, I might have learnt my alphabet quicker, being so I was rather good at spelling and words as a kid.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 2:11 pm

I still can't say I am fully familiar with it. I can recite Polish alphabet without Polish letters but it is like this: ABCD... E... F... GHIJK... L... MN... OPRST... UW... XYZ (a be ce de... e... ef... gie... ha i jot ka... el... em en... o pe er es te... u wu... iks igrek zet). I need to stop and think at the parts with "...". And i need to recite it everytime someone asks me to arrange words alphabetically. As for English alphabet - I am out after "Ei bi ci di i ef dżi" - I don't know the rest and I am not ever sure if I remember that one correctly(it;s just a part of a song I heard somewhere). I can read but alphabet was always pointless for me - why learn it if half of the letters are read differently in actual words? Waste of memory and a reason for confusion (try reading any word like it would sound if you were using the alphabet sounds "word" isn't "word" anymore but "wuoerde". LOL

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2018, 2:46 pm

I'd say 4 but that's really just memorizing the song. I am still not great at alphabetizing things.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 3:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I remember having a preschool video when I was little, and on it was the alphabet song at the beginning. It made me learn the first half of the alphabet, but the way they sung it caused me confusion in the middle. Here's how they sung it on the video:-

"A B C D E F G H I J K elamenopee, elamenopee Q R S T U V W X Y Z".

That middle part where L, M, N, O and P were merged together and repeated again was what caused confusion and so I could only say the alphabet from A-K up until I was 8, which was when I got old enough to read properly for myself and not have to rely on preschool videos to learn my ABCs.

I think if it wasn't for this preschool video, I might have learnt my alphabet quicker, being so I was rather good at spelling and words as a kid.

I learned through the alphabet puzzle I had.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lonehiker

16 May 2018, 4:47 pm

I had no problem with the alphabet. Probably learnt it aged 4 or 5.

'Now i know my abc tell me what you think of me' song helped

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 4:47 pm

I am guessing probably around 3 when I could read and write some. I was in day care at the time and remember it well to this day. They had these silly carpets in the closet that we had to lie on and take a nap. When kindergarten rolled around, I was already reading, writing, and doing mathematics at a 2nd or 3rd grade level. I however was socially terrible and was picked on constantly. I hated school for the most part as I was always bullied badly. But in those days, they didn't know I was on the spectrum and little was known about it. I was just considered odd or a freak. :(

TechnicallyCalm

18 May 2018, 7:22 pm

5 or 6. I had to repeat the 1st grade though

The one thing I struggled with, and still do, was reading.

I remember my mom trying to get me to read around 5 or 6 and not being able to get past a page or 2.

I don't know when I started to be able to read well, but my mom got me some books when I was 12 and my passion for reading exploded.

It got to the point where I was reading books during class.

It was only 3 books that I obsessed on and read over and over, I just recently finished reading 2 of them, and that was the first Halo trilogy.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:03 pm

age 7 (first grade, when we first learned all the letters officially). We were taught a song about it
I could write simple things like my nickname before that but I didn't know all the letters and not in order.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2018, 9:40 pm

I learned it in reverse first, like when I was 6. I have no recollection when I learned it the proper way but definitely not pre 3rd grade. I actually didn't care nor bother to because I didn't think it was important, I was an odd ball. Still am.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 10:17 pm

I don't really remember *not* knowing the alphabet. :)