Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 6:04 pm

I seem to recall reading that among common language challenges associated with AS and perhaps autism in general is poor adjective use in language and expression.

I, myself, have a rather minimal set of adjectives in my active vocabulary that I use to express, even though there are many more in the vocabulary I know. Basically my language is often bland and boring, even though that isn't the intent.

Is this a common problem among us?

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2021, 6:31 pm

I have a very robust vocabulary, and for me anyway, I can string together a whole chain of adjectives way too easily: it's the nouns that become all too quickly dislodged... "You know that thing?

"What thing are you talking about?"

"Ohhh, it's orange an' round... with the long handle... It's hollow an' tapers at the end... It's old..."

"Uhhhh?"

"Here, this!" I grumble pulling out the plastic funnel from the drawer with a sigh.

My wife grins while shaking her head.

As the saying goes: if you know one Autistic-person; you know one Autistic person!

DIVAIR

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 8:00 am

I don't think I have issues with adjectives, but I was recently amazed to learn that English speakers automatically use adjectives in a certain order that they are not even aware of.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 8:26 am

Dear_one wrote:
I don't think I have issues with adjectives, but I was recently amazed to learn that English speakers automatically use adjectives in a certain order that they are not even aware of.

It's a cute little habit ... but not a little cute habit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 8:51 am

Never heard of autism being associate with bad language use, nor with bad use of adjectives.

What do you even mean by "poor adjective use" anyway?

Can you give examples of "poor adjective use"?

All politicians tend to speak in hyperbole...everything is in the extreme.

But Trump was even worse than most pols, and was the most impoverished ever in his usage of adjectives. His only adjective was "unbelievable", and his only adverb was "bigly" ( or maybe he was always saying "big league". No one could ever tell which word it was that he was saying).

So is speaking like Trump what you mean?

Or what?

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2021, 9:18 am

I have a pretty robust vocabulary, so I suppose this may be a characteristic unrelated to autism altogether.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 9:23 am

Google doesn't know about this trait. And google is all-knowing :lol:. This article came up discussing autism mothers using less adjectives Content Words in Child-Directed Speech of Mothers Toward Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 10:01 am

I'm hyperlexic.

If I don't know a word, it tends to be from a knowedge base I don't have (technical vocab or jargon) or from a slang group I'm not part of (for eg I know the word 'poggers' exists but have no clue what it means).

When I was a child I used to enjoy going through thesauruses and learning new adjectives/words.

As an adult and as a writer, I've found that this is frowned upon. So I've stopped doing it & focused on strengthening my verbs instead.

In everyday life, it can be seen as somewhat childish to pepper your speech with excessive adjectives.

For eg when I was 10, if I saw something big "It was eNORmously giGANtic" (capitals for where I'd raise my voice). If I saw something big now I'd say "yeah, it was bloody big!". Same with: small, beautiful, ugly, good, bad. Idk why this is but I've noticed it.

For myself I don't mind it but I find it sad for others, adults should be free to say 'minuscule' or 'tremendous' etc if they want.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 11:02 am

I thought a lot of autistic people had quite large vocabularies, as is what I see a lot here on WP.

My vocabulary isn't very wide, I just use the simple words.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 1:17 pm

I don't have the same use of language - my parents are often surprised at me using long words lol.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2021, 4:49 pm

DIVAIR wrote:
I have a very robust vocabulary, and for me anyway, I can string together a whole chain of adjectives way too easily: it's the nouns that become all too quickly dislodged... "You know that thing?

"Ohhh, it's orange an' round... with the long handle... It's hollow an' tapers at the end... It's old..."

"Uhhhh?"

"Here, this!" I grumble pulling out the plastic funnel from the drawer with a sigh.

As the saying goes: if you know one Autistic-person; you know one Autistic person!

DIVAIR

:lol: :lol: me and my mom both have this problem 8O my mom has brain damage and I have ASD and severe migraines which causes me to lose words. Sometimes conversations with us are hilarious to the outsider apparently.

My dad just stands and stares at us confused. We do a lot of miming like we're playing sharades. We can always figure out what the other is trying to say though even if no one else can, kinda like we have our own secret language. :lol: it makes us laugh a lot.

The word PEN has become the bane of my existence! I can never remember it when I need to use one and can't find one. :evil:

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 5:22 pm

Spunge42 wrote:
DIVAIR wrote:

"Uhhhh?"

DIVAIR

:lol: :lol: me and my mom both have this problem 8O my mom has brain damage and I have ASD and severe migraines which causes me to lose words. Sometimes conversations with us are hilarious to the outsider apparently.

My dad just stands and stares at us confused. We do a lot of miming like we're playing sharades. We can always figure out what the other is trying to say though even if no one else can, kinda like we have our own secret language. :lol: it makes us laugh a lot.

The word PEN has become the bane of my existence! I can never remember it when I need to use one and can't find one. :evil:

writing utensil? idk maybe that one would be rememberable, not sure though.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 5:25 pm

I used to be better at varying my use of words, especially adjectives, when I was reading more often. I have an okay vocabulary, but am just bad at finding words to use when I'm talking/writing.

KT67 wrote:
When I was a child I used to enjoy going through thesauruses and learning new adjectives/words.

When I was a kid I liked to look through dictionaries and thesauruses, too. I still look up words I don't know and look at the synonyms of the word.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 6:09 pm

I always had a wide vocabulary growing up and continue to use very precise language in adulthood. I believe it stems from the experience of being misunderstood and the fear of the same. In reality though I think it alienates a lot of people.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 6:17 pm

I am losing my nouns, but I think that is a combination of age and not talking to anyone with a whole lot of neurons.

I have recognized that I use the adverb "very" with every adjective. I have stopped using the adverb "very."

It drives me crazy that people use the adjective less when they mean fewer. However, google says that the language is moving in that direction and us old fuddy-duddies should quit harping about it.

Only the latter is likely to be a component of autism. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 11:10 pm

I have a simple vocabulary and I make simple posts. It almost makes it seem as though my English isn't very good.