Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2018, 2:33 pm

Somedays I just hate doing things because of the way people are. They stare. They try to socialize with me. They try to touch me.

I hate speaking. Its difficult for me. But sometimes people dont understand. I went to wait for my aunt at the doctors office where she works as a secretary. I was with my older cousin. It got quite loud. People were trying to talk to me but I wasnt in a verbal mood. I tried to be polite. I think I was. I have such a difficult time speaking.

It is so difficult to go to family gatherings. Everyone wants to hug me. I want to run away. I tried. Im apparently really stiff during hugs. They make me feel so uncomfortable.

Stimming in public is another issue. People point. I try not to be loud in public. I will move my fingers around or speak quietly. Sometimes when Im overwhelmed I rock or wave my hands from side to side. People seem to feel uncomfortable when that happens.

I have sensory issues with food. I will not eat squash. The texture is terrible in my mouth. But I am sometimes forced to. Thats annoying. I once threw up just because I hated squash so much.

Sometimes people think Im spoiled because I get extra accomodations at school that they dont think I need. I get to go for 2 walks a day. I get extra time on tests and I write tests in the learning support room. I also sometimes do my work in there. Its much quieter and I can get extra assistance.

Its also very annoying when people say that school is easy for me and that I cant understand their problems. They think that its too easy for me. Its difficult.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:32 pm

I agree, people and their ignorance can be annoying. People stare at me when I flap, rock and pace too, and many times when they find out I have sensory issues, they like to trigger them just to agitate me. I really hate when I'm doing my best to look absorbed and unapproachable in public, but people still feel the need to come up and talk to me. My mom thinks I can work and don't need to apply for SSI like I want to, but she doesn't understand how difficult it is. I really want to live on my own, instead if with my grandma who I'm with right now, but I don't have the executive functioning skills needed to keep myself fed and my place clean.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:35 pm

Speaking is difficult for me too. I hate the interruptions of my slow, halting speech and I hate when people get impatient and finish my sentences for me. I prefer texting.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:57 pm

People are definitely annoying at times

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:09 pm

People annoy the hell out of me too with all their BS and lack of understanding for the struggles I face every day.

I have to repeat myself all the time and it is exhausting. Sometimes I just don't want to speak at all.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2018, 8:49 pm

I hate speaking

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 8:57 pm

Ilikemusic wrote:
I hate speaking

I hate speaking except to myself.

TechnicallyCalm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2018, 12:09 am

I dread thinking people are going to talk to me.

Sometimes it's okay. But I'd rather avoid doing it.

I hate the feeling of people talking to me or me having to talk to someone.

The only time it's okay, and I maybe selfish for this, is when it's a topic I like.

If I have to talk to someone I try to get it over as fast as I can.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 2:46 am

It's refreshing to see the word people being used instead of the usual "NT's".

Fay

17 May 2018, 7:18 am

I do understand you very well. It getts tireing with each year to justify yourself for that you are. I do hate society, i do hate people at least the consideted "normal ones" which constantly trying to push their standarts and ideas forward to other peoples without the sensitivity nor understanding how other peoples feel. Its a prison far worse then to be in a prison for crimes. I once even had the idea to do some s**t and be closed away really i would have my quiet. Eventough i work at a place for people with disability they do not understand aspergers diagnose and i hate it, i need my quiet, tome to things i love i cant function if i cant do something that doesnt resonate withing my heart. People simply dont care for the different, they even avoid it like its a pesticide and treat you to like that.

Fay

17 May 2018, 7:27 am

This is the problem, we are born with the dollar sign inprinted on our forehead...its the cancer of humanity.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:29 am

It shouldn't come as a shock that the term NT would be used here. It's not derogatory. It means wired neurologically in typical fashion.

If people are posting about frustrations in dealing with the dominant neurotype, so be it. Not all NT's are out to get us. Most are just trying to get through their daily stuff.

The ladies who own a local tea room are absolutely delightful. NT? Most likely. They are terrific sources of knowledge on a subject I knew nothing about.

My supervisor is only too happy to help me learn painting as this would help in the classroom. We're all off today for one last teacher training. I'm an aid so my person passes on her learning to me. I never cared about painting until I worked with her.

The NTs I mentioned are either compassionate extroverts or sensitive quiet souls like the tea room ladies.

I'm sorry for not recognizing the positive parts. I think some of us when we get on here are frustrated and just need to say it.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:42 am

EzraS wrote:
It's refreshing to see the word people being used instead of the usual "NT's".

I agree.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 12:43 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
Ilikemusic wrote:
I hate speaking

I hate speaking except to myself.

Me too. I talk to myself pretty much constantly, but I hate talking to other people. It's awkward and uncomfortable, and my voice is so quiet and I take so long to find my words that they interrupt me mid-sentence to tell me they can't hear me, or try to fill in words for me. It only makes it worse when they do that, because my thought process gets disrupted and I have to start over in looking for my words. I've often wished I could just be fully nonverbal and use my text to speech app permanently. I used it for a couple of weeks after I had throat surgery and couldn't talk at all for a while, and I loved it, it was so peaceful.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 4:11 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Me too. I talk to myself pretty much constantly, but I hate talking to other people. It's awkward and uncomfortable, and my voice is so quiet and I take so long to find my words that they interrupt me mid-sentence to tell me they can't hear me, or try to fill in words for me. It only makes it worse when they do that, because my thought process gets disrupted and I have to start over in looking for my words. I've often wished I could just be fully nonverbal and use my text to speech app permanently. I used it for a couple of weeks after I had throat surgery and couldn't talk at all for a while, and I loved it, it was so peaceful.

I couldn't have said it better. When cell phone era arrived in the late 90's, I was so happy when there was texting available. I rarely speak on the phone now, I prefer texting. Or communication on forums like this. The interruptions trying to finish what I supposedly will say just sets me off. These days I usually just leave it go and stop as I tire of having to correct what they attempted to finish my statements with. Usually they are annoyed by that point and don't hear what I say at any rate. I remain mostly non-verbal unless I need to speak.

DocteurDEVO7

17 May 2018, 4:19 pm

Ilikemusic wrote:
Somedays I just hate doing things because of the way people are. They stare. They try to socialize with me. They try to touch me.

I'm sorry but I found that kind of amusing, reminded me of Data from Star Trek.
In all seriousness though I can definitely relate to you on some level. I need my alone time badly. Have you ever heard of that song "Who Can it Be Now?" I relate to it a lot. I can't offer much advice but I can say you're not alone. Best of luck to you.