Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Social Security likes to make it tough on people....in a nutshell.

And yet it has “security” right there in the name.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:41 am

BeaArthur wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Social Security likes to make it tough on people....in a nutshell.

I'd be cautious about making statements like this. It leads to distrust and discouragement, leading to some people not even trying. Also, I found Social Security staff to be nicer than I expected.

Imagine how indignant taxpayers would get if large numbers of unqualified people were drawing this type of disability. There are frauds and cheats out there, but I don't believe most people with autism are among them.

In my state the SSDI judges are frauds and cheats as well.

Wreck It Ralph

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:39 am

skibum wrote:
What evidence do you have for that?

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:55 am

I'm in a similar boat right now, but I'm applying for SSI because I don't have enough work history. My advice (which came from my old therapist) would be to enlist the help of a lawyer right away if possible. It might help make the process easier and even possibly quicker. Also, if you can find a lawyer near you that specializes in disability cases, that could help too. I don't know much about this though and I'm sort of learning as I go along.

Good luck! :heart:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 10:37 am

BeaArthur wrote:
skibum wrote:

I live about 10 minutes away from Skibum. We’re talking about Pennsylvania, which the gummint is slightly less corrupt than ILLinois (I speak from experience, since I lived outside of Chicago and Rockford for 5 years, back in the 1980’s. How Tom Wolf, the current Governor of PA, and lives about 15 minutes from either of us, managed to run a business, without being arrested, convicted, and jailed, is beyond me!) 8O

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 11:19 am

Thanks so much for all your input guys! It does sound difficult, but I'm willing to give it a shot! Even if I can't get unemployment because I didn't leave my job "through no fault of my own", I will still apply for Assistance for the Needy and Disabled, which is only about $189 per month max, but it continues for as long as it takes for you to get SSI/SSDI approved. I'm very fortunate that I know a lot about the logistics of applying for these types of programs, because that's what I help people do at work right now. I'm also going to be working with an agency who can help me with the details of the SSDI application process, because it's very complicated!

Thank you for your kind words Skibum, I'm sending you good thoughts and wishing you all the best of luck with your application!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 11:44 am

BeaArthur wrote:
skibum wrote:
My lawyer has been practicing and doing this for decades. She has heard first hand what these people say and she has seen what they do. And just reading what the judge wrote in my case, how she made her decisions to deny me, her reasons, they blatantly and clearly break the law on so many counts. It's not even subtle, not even a little bit.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 12:02 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
skibum wrote:

I live about 10 minutes away from Skibum. We’re talking about Pennsylvania, which the gummint is slightly less corrupt than ILLinois (I speak from experience, since I lived outside of Chicago and Rockford for 5 years, back in the 1980’s. How Tom Wolf, the current Governor of PA, and lives about 15 minutes from either of us, managed to run a business, without being arrested, convicted, and jailed, is beyond me!) 8O
Tom Wolf is not a person I want to be associated with.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 12:04 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Thanks so much for all your input guys! It does sound difficult, but I'm willing to give it a shot! Even if I can't get unemployment because I didn't leave my job "through no fault of my own", I will still apply for Assistance for the Needy and Disabled, which is only about $189 per month max, but it continues for as long as it takes for you to get SSI/SSDI approved. I'm very fortunate that I know a lot about the logistics of applying for these types of programs, because that's what I help people do at work right now. I'm also going to be working with an agency who can help me with the details of the SSDI application process, because it's very complicated!

Thank you for your kind words Skibum, I'm sending you good thoughts and wishing you all the best of luck with your application!
Thank you so much StarTrekker. Please keep us posted on how it all goes. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 12:18 pm

skibum wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

Thank you so much StarTrekker. Please keep us posted on how it all goes. :heart:

I definitely will!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:41 pm

I'm not totally cynical about Social Security.

But I do know they want to make it tough for people to apply, and to make it hard for people to stay on benefits. They really do make it difficult for people in both areas. I know people who have been through this.

They make it difficult, probably (like Bea stated), for practical reasons.

Otherwise, there would be massive lines of people seeking benefits.

I am of the belief that there are people who might need benefits temporarily, until they can "get back on their feet." I am also of the belief there are people who need benefits permanently. There are people who are actually productive while receiving benefits.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:43 pm

skibum wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
skibum wrote:

Tom Wolf is not a person I want to be associated with.

The only association I have with the esteemed(?) Mr. Wolf is I graduated from high school with his executive assistant. Matter of fact, she’s one month older than I am. Even at our age, she still the looker! :twisted:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 2:01 pm

Point taken ... I used to live near Scranton and Wilkes-Barre ... lot of Mafia up that way.

But Social Security is a federal agency, not state?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 2:02 pm

It is a federal agency----but isn't some of it funneled through state-based programs?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 2:05 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Point taken ... I used to live near Scranton and Wilkes-Barre ... lot of Mafia up that way.

But Social Security is a federal agency, not state?

SSA is a federal agency, but the initial determination for disability goes through the state.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 2:06 pm

Isn't Medicaid money given to at least some states to spend as they wish?