Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TechnicallyCalm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2018, 11:58 pm

I went through a procedure that I will save for another time, that led me to having to taking opioids to escape the pain.

It wasn't an hour after the procedure until the pain started driving me crazy, my toenail got taken out.

As soon as I got them, I took one immediately.

The reaction I had, was that the pain just went away. I didn't feel good, unless you count the awful pain going away good, and I never felt a high.

After the first the day the pain was still there, but I never felt it warrantied taking another pill.

I never took another pill but also never felt the need to take one.

Has this happened to anyone else, where you take a highly addictive medicine but don't feel the need to take it? Is this an Autism thing or is it pretty common?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:32 am

You probably took a high enough dosage that it alleviated the pain but the dosage was not enough to get high and thus no craving to repeat that high.

Problems occur when someone has a major operation or a chronic illness and needs strong dosage over an extended period.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:38 am

Taking a "highly addictive drug" does not mean you're going to become addicted.
I'm on opioids and I never feel the need to take them unless I'm in a fair amount of pain.
People who have been in hospital on strong opioids don't usually come out drug addicts.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 12:07 pm

I take kratom which opioid receptors react to despite its active substances being alkaloids. It works wonders where other pain medication failed me.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 3:59 pm

I used to take generic oxymorphone 5mg, four times daily as needed, and Opana ER (extended-release oxymorphone) 15mg every 12 hours like clockwork. I eventually had surgery and tapered off the drug in two months. No withdrawal or cravings whatsoever. To give you an idea, oxymorphone is 10x the potency of morphine, 5x the potency of heroin, and 2x the potency of OxyContin (oxycodone). Opana ER is so addicting it was taken off the market in June 2017 because people were shooting up with it. If you take opioids as prescribed your chances of addiction will be much lower. The goal of pain management is to get it to a tolerable level, not get rid of the pain completely.

TechnicallyCalm

17 May 2018, 4:49 pm

I don't remember the mg of the drug, but it sounds like the dosage was low and what I went through was most likely common and had nothing to do with me.

Thanks guys.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 May 2018, 7:37 am

I took Oxycodone for a couple weeks after I had surgery on my nose. It helped with the pain abit but I didn't notice any other effects.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 9:31 am

I took them for years to manage chronic pain, Dilaudid and Fentanyl. They depleted my testosterone to the point that I went into andropause. at like 23 years old. That caused me severe depression, fatigue where I slept up to 18 to 20 hours a day, and hot flashes. Androgen depletion is a well documentated effect of all opioids that is unavoidable. The opioids themselves also made me chronically nauseated and constipated.

I eventually got tired of the side effects and learned to manage my pain through strength training, stretching, massage, long acting Tylenol, cannabis, LDN as well as having surgeries to remove the most problematic tumors from a genetic bone disease I have.

Coming off Fentanyl was hell. I puked so many times a day for weeks and had horrible hot flashes and sweats. The Dilaudid was easier to taper off of but I struggled with the last 3mg which my doctor gave me a script of clonidine to help with the withdrawals. I can definitely understand why people have difficulty stopping opioids.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 10:03 am

I was given opiods after my first hernia-repair surgery. I felt no pain, which was actually a big problem, because I just moved around as normal when I shouldn't have done that. Also, they made me puke, which combined with my inability to sense my limited movements resulted in three more hernias being ripped into my abdominal wall. After my second repair surgery involving endoscopy, insertion of meshes, etc., I decided to go cold turkey. I took nothing for my pain starting from the day I came home, so that I could sense which way I should and shouldn't move. It hurt. haha! but I've always had a higher pain tolerance than other people. Maybe that's why I am able to do this kind of thing.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 May 2018, 10:18 am

I forgot that I've been on Darvocet for a couple weeks for hip pain when I was working. It helped with the pain some but that was about all I noticed from it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition