Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:53 pm

EzraS wrote:
usually I am oblivious to those around me but still feel it happening time to time. depends on the place and setting.

Usually I'm oblivious to those around me as well as other things like cars.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:13 pm

Me laying in the middle of the street with tire marks on me asking what was that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:14 pm

^^^Sounds like something that would happen to Wile E. Coyote while he chases the Road Runner.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:24 pm

EzraS wrote:
Me laying in the middle of the street with tire marks on me asking what was that?

So true.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:28 pm

But right before getting run over, I closely inspect a bug crawling on a lamp post.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:32 pm

My voice is sort of high...I occasionally stim in public, but I rarely get stared at (I look like a teen).

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:48 pm

EzraS wrote:
But right before getting run over, I closely inspect a bug crawling on a lamp post.

And that would go on your grave stone.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 9:57 pm

It would be funny if it turned out that all the staring was other autistic people accidentally staring. I accidentally stare at people all the time.

Ever since I got my service dog other people tend to stare at him, not me.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:52 am

Joe90 wrote:
I avoid eye contact with strangers...

I'd like to hear one of these member's definition of what one is supposed to look like when out shopping or waiting for a bus, etc, and I can gaurentee you I will tick all those boxes.

Well I can't pretend that I understand a single lick of body language, but I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to tick the box for "makes eye contact with strangers" =)

We might think we look normal, or stand normal, or walk normal, or whatever...but body language is a very strange and subtle thing, and it speaks volumes to those who can read it. I've had NT co-workers describe someone's body language to me before, and I will look at the person they're describing, and I always feel like they're just making it all up :? I mean there's no way that putting your hand in one spot can mean something completely different from putting your hand three inches to the left of that same spot!

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, though, I'm just kind of thinking out loud I guess.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 8:21 am

Well, I only intentionally avoid looking at strangers because I'm worried they might feel self-conscious if I make eye contact as I pass (as I strongly know how that feels), and also I don't want to see them staring at me (even though I can still feel someone staring when I'm not looking). I could give them a smile but I've given up on that a long time ago because when I used to be friendly, people just glared at me like I was stupid or something. So the next best thing is to just avoid eye contact.

But what I mostly mean is everything I do is intentional. So I consciously KNOW that I'm avoiding eye contact, and I am fully aware of what I am doing with my body. Maybe I give off social anxiety signals, but I wish people would respect that instead of making me feel worse by staring. And no, I don't look like a potential serial killer or attacker, as I'm a person who mothers of toddlers feel at ease putting their toddlers in my personal space when there's plenty of appropriate space around nearby. If I looked shifty or unpredictable, I'm sure people (especially mothers with small children) would avoid me.

madcats1967
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2018, 8:35 am

I hate other people, and I don't look at them, so I don't know if they are staring at me.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 8:43 am

Arganger wrote:
It would be funny if it turned out that all the staring was other autistic people accidentally staring. I accidentally stare at people all the time.

For me, It's usually more of a blank "1000 yard stare" with my eyes out of focus. If people are concerned that I'm staring at them, then it's usually their own silly fault for accidentally wandering into my line of sight - I often have no idea that they're there until they rudely bring me out of my trance to ask why I'm staring at them! :lol:

Arganger wrote:
Ever since I got my service dog other people tend to stare at him, not me.

I often say "hello" to people's dogs and then forget to greet the person. :oops:

No idea if I get stared at myself - when I'm out and about, my eyes are usually focused on the ground a few feet in front of my feet. I need to learn how to judge a person's character by their choice of footwear!