Page 6 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 9:02 am

Joe90,

I agree with you on the colonoscopy-the stuff you have to drink is disgusting! I was a little afraid of being put under, but the prep was the most disgusting part.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 9:14 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Vomiting - this is more than a phobia, it's like my emetophobia is a mental illness

Spiders - I like most insects but spiders just gives me the shivers

Drunk people - they are unpredictable and have change in personality, and the way people think it's fantastic

Humiliation - I fear having any attention drawn to myself in public

Death - the only way I want to die is peacefully in my sleep. But I also fear loved ones dying

Smear tests and colonoscopies - I just cringe at the thought of foreign things being inserted into me, also the preparation for a colonoscopy is worse than the actual thing

Fire - if people save themselves (and save animals) you still lose your possessions, and I fear losing my valuable unreplaceable possessions because to me it feels as devastating as losing a loved one

Terrorism - it just strikes up randomly and lots of innocent people die from a tragic event that doesn't even need to happen

Bells - I mentioned this earlier in this thread

Ugh, yeah, I have a major phobia of vomiting too. I always hide my face and cover my ears when I can tell it's coming in movies. I despise the movie Pitch Perfect solely because of its random unpredictable projectile vomiting scenes. They're repulsive and unneccessary. I'm not afraid of my own vomit, but I can't be within earshot of anyone else who's puking. My biggest fear is being trapped in a car with a sick person because there's no way to escape it.

Bells, fire alarms, sirens, train whistles, etc. all scare me too. The sudden excessive noise is too much to deal with and I almost immediately shut down. When I hear the doorbell ring and I'm not expecting anyone, I'll run and hide until the person leaves, or someone else answers it.

I hid under a giant pile of laundry once, when the doorbell rang. I couldn't just hide in a different room because the person at the door might have seen me flee past their vantage point.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 9:39 am

I am afraid that my friends will notice how I struggle with 'basic things', and lose respect for me.

Some people have a very linear way of thinking: You need to learn the basics before you can be competent a the big stuff, if you can't crawl then you can't run, etc. There are days when I struggle to just get to work with everything I need for the day. As an adult it's not a big deal most of the time (usually even NT people can relate). When I was a kid, I'd get points off of my test if I forgot my pen, or because my handwriting was a bit chaotic. I was punished so often for these things as a kid, that I have to wonder if my adult friends knew, would they "take points off" in their minds too?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Ugh, yeah, I have a major phobia of vomiting too. I always hide my face and cover my ears when I can tell it's coming in movies. I despise the movie Pitch Perfect solely because of its random unpredictable projectile vomiting scenes. They're repulsive and unneccessary. I'm not afraid of my own vomit, but I can't be within earshot of anyone else who's puking. My biggest fear is being trapped in a car with a sick person because there's no way to escape it.

My fear is more vomiting myself. If I'm near a drunk person who is vomiting, I'm not too worried because drunk vomiting is not contagious. Same goes with someone vomiting from travel sickness. If I know them well enough, I'd offer them sympathy and help them. I'm basically OK if I know that someone else vomiting isn't caused by a stomach bug. But if it is a stomach bug, or is likely, I freak out.
I don't induce myself to vomit either. What I mean is I don't drink alcohol, go on spinning rides, or eat food that's out of date, because of the fear that it might make me vomit.

I hate it when people say "if you feel sick when travelling or after a funfair ride, just vomit then you'll feel better". No, that is not the answer I want. I get anxious of feeling sick because I don't want to BE sick. If I knew it was physically impossible to throw up, I wouldn't mind nausea so much (well, it's still not pleasant, but you know what I mean).

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 12:15 pm

I became afraid of the dark for no reason and it lasted for about 6 months and as an adult. lol im over it now

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 8:42 pm

I am afraid of compromising, of accepting defeat, because all I want in my life is victories for goodness' sake

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 9:01 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
I became afraid of the dark for no reason and it lasted for about 6 months and as an adult. lol im over it now

I've noticed that many of my childhood phobias have reversed, and they're now my favourite things. Not all of them, but many.

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2018, 7:57 am

Let's see...

Crowds
loud noises
loud people
people in general
people being angry
men in particular
kids in general
babies in particular
the whole idea of pregnancy
germs
slimy things
viscous things
spiders
ants (that's a new one, we found some in the kitchen and then I spent a month cleaning my whole house)
being in cars
going out by myself
parties
my teeth falling out
falling in general
people touching me

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 9:13 am

Fern wrote:
I am afraid that my friends will notice how I struggle with 'basic things', and lose respect for me.

Some people have a very linear way of thinking: You need to learn the basics before you can be competent a the big stuff, if you can't crawl then you can't run, etc. There are days when I struggle to just get to work with everything I need for the day. As an adult it's not a big deal most of the time (usually even NT people can relate). When I was a kid, I'd get points off of my test if I forgot my pen, or because my handwriting was a bit chaotic. I was punished so often for these things as a kid, that I have to wonder if my adult friends knew, would they "take points off" in their minds too?

This is well said. NT adults do judge for that because they cannot understand it. I hope all these mini educational films coming out about autism can help ppl understand a fraction

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 11:56 am

Needles.

I freaking hate needles.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 7:55 pm

butterknives
pantyhose
confinement
having my feet tucked in bed
twins
conjoined twins
ice
ferris wheels
inanimate objects speaking (on TV)
worms
doorbells
mail delivery
courthouses
sirens
telephone rings
women
professional women
abandonment
emotional discourse
small talk
eye contact
leaving my house
the colour orange

there's more. let me think.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 15 Jun 2018, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2018, 10:12 pm

1. Tarantulas and other spiders.
2. Personal annihilation at death.
3. Alzheimer's and other dementias.
4. Vagina dentata.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2018, 10:45 pm

Recently I started living a little bit and a robot with blades shredded me (in my mind).

regards,

Life liver :)

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 6:24 am

Snakes, specifically being bitten by a poisonous one.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 4:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
butterknives
pantyhose
confinement
having my feet tucked in bed
twins
conjoined twins
ice
ferris wheels
inanimate objects speaking (on TV)
worms
doorbells
mail delivery
courthouses
sirens
telephone rings
women
professional women
abandonment
emotional discourse
small talk
eye contact
leaving my house
the colour orange

there's more. let me think.

I agree with you on women. Men and women. Both are scary. Makes me think I am neither and just an alien in a women’s body

AwkwardCat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2018, 5:00 pm

I have a "specific phobia" of bees and wasps. I'm not really surprised as I have really multiple bad experiences with them (being stung, infestations). I do have a list of smaller fears too that aren't as bad. I'll list them:

- Being alone
- Being abandoned
- Going insane
- The darkness at night
- Being hated
- Dying or being in pain

That's all I know of. The listed ones are smaller and not as bad as my bee phobia, they still scare me sometimes.

Have a cat video! Have a good day! ^^