Page 5 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 1:51 pm

Vomiting - this is more than a phobia, it's like my emetophobia is a mental illness

Spiders - I like most insects but spiders just gives me the shivers

Drunk people - they are unpredictable and have change in personality, and the way people think it's fantastic

Humiliation - I fear having any attention drawn to myself in public

Death - the only way I want to die is peacefully in my sleep. But I also fear loved ones dying

Smear tests and colonoscopies - I just cringe at the thought of foreign things being inserted into me, also the preparation for a colonoscopy is worse than the actual thing

Fire - if people save themselves (and save animals) you still lose your possessions, and I fear losing my valuable unreplaceable possessions because to me it feels as devastating as losing a loved one

Terrorism - it just strikes up randomly and lots of innocent people die from a tragic event that doesn't even need to happen

Bells - I mentioned this earlier in this thread

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 1:52 pm

I agree with all of those, except spiders.
Doorbells terrify me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 1:12 am

Perhaps I'm "too young" to know what I'm truly afraid of.

Despite having done things -- stupid, dangerous, or otherwise -- with no lasting trauma or a sign of phobia.
Had even thought of uncertainties, and had witnessed the worst of all circumstances, or pessimism in general. Yet most at the time, it's all but odds and not all of the odds. Odds that doesn't nag me on afterthought, let alone in my sleep even at my most fretting state.

Really don't know. Likely because I'm not 'there' yet. Even if I had been in a state of refusing to leave the house for more than a year once upon a time.
That, and even remembering every feeling of it. It just... Doesn't hit on the face of my present.
Mind someone tell me how one knows what one truly fears? If not that, then what does 'this' mean? I wanna know the terms or what it is called -- Of keep losing fears and losing the state of being afraid.
Because if I do know what I'm really afraid of -- the unlikely resolvable and the not short term -- less-than-an-hour-long-afraid-then-its-gone -- kind of being afraid. I would've told them all. :|

Does this question made any sense??? If not, disregard it. I don't know if these are the right words for the question.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

mended
Raven
Raven

27 May 2018, 1:43 am

Moths

Acewitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2018, 3:34 am

Ceiling fans and thunder storms

Ceiling fans: i have never been in a house with a stable on, so they always rock violently when theyre on and i cant shake the mental image of it breaking and falling on me or spinning its way around the room like a death wheel.

Thunder storms: theyre loud and flashy. And one time my dad told me a scary story where a mean man put his face up against his window right when lightning stuck it. So im always scared i’ll be too close to the window and itll shatter in my face.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 3:38 pm

My body and mind falling apart from getting older. At my age I can't tell what's normal and what isn't anymore. My parents are older now too of course, so I worry about them as well. :(

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 3:46 pm

Driving car

Getting struck by car

Dog

Fear of fat

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2018, 6:13 am

Door bells and ringing phones even when they are both expected to go off anytime.

Cooking timers going off and buzzing in fast food restaurants. I used to work at McDonalds when in high school and always got yelled at when those buzzers went off. I still have nightmares of those buzzers 30+ years later.

I would say pain from my fibromyalgia but actually I fear people asking nosy questions and judging me when I have to use the electric carts in a store. Sometimes I wish I had a more visible physical challenge so I wouldn't get yelled at by customers and store employees. Maybe I should buy some crutches.

I actually like spiders except for when they are near my bed. I'm afraid I will swallow one in my sleep when I snore so I learned to put peppermint oil on cotton balls and small bits of cloth. I keep the peppermint balls all around my bedroom to ward off the spiders because they don't like peppermint. The trick is to refresh the cotton balls every three weeks with more peppermint oil from the bottle.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 10:08 pm

Physical pain, loneliness, my parents passing away.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 2:35 am

Hypothermia.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2018, 10:18 pm

Myself.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 10:19 pm

I hear you.

Are you afraid of other people too?

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2018, 10:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I hear you.

Are you afraid of other people too?

Not so much, more of their opinions of me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 10:46 pm

Yes. This too. I have a good opinion of you, for the record :)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 1:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
Vomiting - this is more than a phobia, it's like my emetophobia is a mental illness

Spiders - I like most insects but spiders just gives me the shivers

Drunk people - they are unpredictable and have change in personality, and the way people think it's fantastic

Humiliation - I fear having any attention drawn to myself in public

Death - the only way I want to die is peacefully in my sleep. But I also fear loved ones dying

Smear tests and colonoscopies - I just cringe at the thought of foreign things being inserted into me, also the preparation for a colonoscopy is worse than the actual thing

Fire - if people save themselves (and save animals) you still lose your possessions, and I fear losing my valuable unreplaceable possessions because to me it feels as devastating as losing a loved one

Terrorism - it just strikes up randomly and lots of innocent people die from a tragic event that doesn't even need to happen

Bells - I mentioned this earlier in this thread

Ugh, yeah, I have a major phobia of vomiting too. I always hide my face and cover my ears when I can tell it's coming in movies. I despise the movie Pitch Perfect solely because of its random unpredictable projectile vomiting scenes. They're repulsive and unneccessary. I'm not afraid of my own vomit, but I can't be within earshot of anyone else who's puking. My biggest fear is being trapped in a car with a sick person because there's no way to escape it.

Bells, fire alarms, sirens, train whistles, etc. all scare me too. The sudden excessive noise is too much to deal with and I almost immediately shut down. When I hear the doorbell ring and I'm not expecting anyone, I'll run and hide until the person leaves, or someone else answers it.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 1:53 am

i am afraid of a previously unperceived obligation that i failed to address, and getting a notice of a debt of something like $100,000.

that already happened. i did not know i needed to pay my taxes personally for 8 years during my self employed period.
i was up s**t creek, but i was able to pay it, so i kept my house. that is what i feared the most. losing somewhere to live.

but while i was waiting for the tax office to assess how much i owed them, i was gravely worried. if it had amounted to $500,000 then i would have been sitting in the gutter wondering what to do.
it was actually $60,000 so i was relieved and paid it.