Mostly nonverbal 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Completely nonverbal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 4:39 pm

I am not conversational but I am considered verbally fluent. Also, I have difficulty putting thoughts into words and then into speech. I use texting and a speech device sometimes. What are the different levels of verbal nonverbal?
Take the poll and describe your experiences with communication difficulties.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 6:49 pm

I speak pretty well most of the time.

But I stutter.

Sometimes, I speak pedantically, and are unable to "simplify" what I say for my audience.

Sometimes, I fail to provide context for people. I assume that a person might know something that I know, not realizing that, in order for the other person to understand what I know, I have to provide background information. It's not that the person isn't intelligent. It's just that the person hasn't had the exposure to the "thing" which I had exposure to.

I'm not a really good teacher, though I'm getting better.

Fay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2018, 8:06 pm

I can write better then talk, i like to have others talk for me. Like important telephones. If i can feel confortable i might be able to open up and express myself unless its something im intressted in i could talk on and on but worst part is i never know when to say what and it is hard for me to stay on a subject and not getting lost. Mostly i do not talk.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:36 pm

Very much verbally fluent. My diagnosis says that I speak more formally than is normal, and that I'm somewhat monotone.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:40 pm

I'm verbally fluent but I sometimes have trouble getting the words out when asked a question I find difficult.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 9:44 pm

I'm so quiet that on the rare occasions I say something it takes people by surprise.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 10:48 pm

Verbal, not fluent by any means.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2018, 1:24 am

I always used to think of myself as verbally fluent because in my head I have a constant internal monlogue. Over the last year and a half I have started listening to myself when I actually talk and realised that it is not so fluent as I thought. I gets words mixed up, I lose my train of thought, I pause in the middle of sentances to think about what I'm trying to say.

When I was about 10, we did group reading in class. I looked forward to it and thought I was good at reading. But when I sat down with my group of about 4 other kids and it was my turn to read, the words just kept getting jumbled up in my mouth. Although I could hear them clearly in my mind, I couldn't articulate fast enough and kept stumbling over how to pronounce things. Maybe because I just wasn't used to talking that much and my muscles needed more practise!

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 9:55 am

Goth Fairy wrote:
I always used to think of myself as verbally fluent because in my head I have a constant internal monlogue.

Oh, do I ever do this. I'm constantly talking to myself in my head. Sometimes out loud too, hopefully not enough to look to strange.
:D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 9:58 am

Yep. I have lots to say in my mind....most of it doesn't come out intelligently, though LOL

I can say that I'm "fluent" in that I don't seem "disordered" when I speak. But what I say doesn't match what's on my mind. I have difficulty in conveying the complexity of what's on my mind. Even in writing sometimes.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 11:00 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
Oh, do I ever do this. I'm constantly talking to myself in my head. Sometimes out loud too, hopefully not enough to look to strange.

Yes, me too; I'm not even sure sometimes whether or not I am speaking out loud until I notice someone giving me a funny look. I feel like it helps my executive functioning somehow to talk my way through everything, and even to boss myself around. Whenever I've heard recordings of myself talking, my prosody seems very different too - I don't just mean that the sound is odd (everyone gets that), but that my inner voice seems more animated and less monotone than what comes out of my mouth, and I don't stumble over words anything like as much.

As for my general fluency...
- Taking about a special interest - very fluent, maybe even too fast sometimes (until I get interrupted!)
- General chit-chat - OK'ish mostly, I think, but far more pauses for word-search and often tail-off because I can't finish a sentence that I've started. I can take quite a while "editing" what I'm going to say before opening my mouth (and then still not getting it out quite right.)
- Approaching melt-down - I can become totally non-verbal (sometimes receptive aphasia too - can't understand other's speech.)

Lonehiker

16 May 2018, 4:44 pm

Generally, I’m verbally fluent most of the time but it depends on the context and who I’m speaking with. Sometimes I struggle to find the correct words and there is a little delay. And of course, I take most things literally.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:26 pm

I put "verbally fluent" because I am most of the time. Under stress, during shutdown, and after meltdowns, I'm completely unable to speak, and can only make noises. In those instances I use a text to speech app on my iPad, which comes with me everywhere.

When I'm anxious or uncertain, I'll use echolalia, either to calm myself down or to try and communicate something I don't have my own words for in the moment. I also do a lot of scripting, and throw out rehearsed lines that require no real thought to produce.

I don't like speaking, it makes me tired and forces me to interact with others when I'd rather be left alone most of the time. I like spending time outdoors on my own, and around animals, because I don't have to talk to them to communicate. I'm very good at intuiting what animals need or want based on their behaviours.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

TechnicallyCalm

17 May 2018, 5:21 pm

I can speak well most of the time.

I may have some issues, but I'm okay.

And then there are the times, where I can't talk or make sense. That's when talking becomes overwhelming and exhausting.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 10:13 pm

I am definitely verbally fluent, with occasional word mispronunciations or word-finding difficulty or switching. It has felt to me like my mouth still hasn't had enough practice, but I talk plenty. During the meltdowns I get several months apart, I still become mute. If I am emotional, how well the information I am trying to share may not be exactly clear.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2018, 3:30 am

I'm verbally fluent but I do have a tremor disorder that can affect my voice & cause me to struggle to get words out sometimes. Things were worse when I was on Abilify cuz I would stutter & slur abit more partly due to constant dry mouth. In some ways I prefer online communication but I'm dyslexic & make LOTS of typing & spelling mistakes & it takes me a while to figure out what I want to say & how to put it in words but I'm also slow at typing even when I know exactly what I want to say & how to say it. My handwriting is even worse cuz it was barely legible when I was in skewl partly related to bad fine motor-skills & the tremor disorder.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition