Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Zephyria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm

Hello, folks! I just landed here, and I'm a bit confused about the identity of this website. Is this place purely for those with ASD, or is it for anyone whose brain is weird? The site's definition seems to contradict with most of the content that I've seen here. A couple of relevant quotes:

About Wrong Planet wrote:
Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences.

General Autism Discussion wrote:
Talk about anything that has at least something to do with Autism, Asperger's, ADHD, and life.

I keep seeing ADHD referenced, but I don't see much discussion about it, and the diagnosis drop-down on the signup page only mentions Aspergers (the only options are "have Aspergers", "not sure", "family member with Aspergers", "other ASD", or "neurotypical"; I consider myself to be none of those things, which feels a bit odd).

I'm just a lonely human with an odd (but non-ASD) brain looking for a place to chat about it. Will I find that here, or no? My apologies if this question seems silly; I'm just seeing conflicting information, and I don't deal well with that. :?

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 5:25 pm

Hello and welcome!

The sections you have highlighted and, as far as I know all the titles and sub-headings, are the originals that were written when the site was first started in 2005. The site founder's intentions were to cover all those topics but the site has always been more focused towards Aspergers and has very much evolved to be specifically about Autism. Everyone is welcome here though.

Both Autism and ADHD are considered to be neurodiverse conditions, there is a lot of overlap between the two and many people who have one of these also have the other too.

In the UK, people who have ADHD only, tend towards using facebook groups and whatsapp, the UK forum that I visit is very quiet, almost dormant, compared to this site. I go to an ADHD meetup group once a month, but these can get pretty lively when you put twenty people in a room that are all hyper and have no impulse control.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 2:42 am

OP, welcome to Wrong Planet!
:D

Fetika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2018, 6:06 am

Welcome!

If you go to the Forum main page, under "Discussions", you will find "Bipolar, Tourettes, Schizophrenia, and other Psychological Conditions" I think that ADHD could easily fit in "other Psychological Conditions".