I'm 13 and have a question about Autism

Page 21 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 7:25 am

I wish my town only had 500 people. Sounds like a piece of heaven. I agree with Ezra. I think it will be really good for JD to be on the ranch and go to a school where the focus can be on him and he can still have another student to interact with. You can take trips to town whenever you need to and that can give him a chance to experience that in small chunks. I love the idea of you guys living on the ranch. And build your own skatepark. You have room to do that.

Wreck It Ralph

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2018, 9:45 am

The 4th went great the ear protection worked well for JD I think he loved watching the fireworks and didn't have any problems. I think all the people bothered him a little we had like 50 people over he went in the house a few times and played tractor and would go in his room and fix his line, but all ways came back out after a bit. Mom had asked the family of the boy that will be in JD's class to come so JD could meet him. They kinda interacted some but JD was shy I guess is the word to use, but Mom and his mom set some playdates. it should be fun to watch because this kids mom is a helicopter mom (like my stepdad) and mom is the free ranch mom all the way. JD did show the kid (I don't know his name sorry) Buck (his horse) and one of the John Deere 9630T (tractors) Jd's favorite one. I'm not sure how he tells them apart they all look alike to me. He didn't talk but took the kids hand and pulled him to them He did tell Grandpa ride so they rode the tractor. I'm not sure how the kid took it all but he did hang out with JD except when JD went in his room I guess time will tell.

And thanks we have learned more about JD and how-to help him from WP More than all the experts rolled together. That how mom worded it. I kind of do wish more people would share ideas not to take anything from the ones that have the ones that have has changed our house for the better more than they will ever know

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:06 am

Cool update, thanks for sharing.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 11:39 am

Cotton, that is one of the most exciting and wonderful posts I have read in a very long time. You can't imagine how good it makes me feel that we are helping JD and your family so much. I am so happy that he had a great time and that he enjoyed the fireworks. I love fireworks as well. They are one of my favorite things to look at. And the fact that he took his little friend by the hand and took showed him Buck and the tractor and had your grandpa take them for a ride is absolutely wonderful. That really is fantastic. I also loved the fact that when he did get a little overwhelmed he went into the house and into his room for awhile but that he kept coming back out when he felt better. I am serious, I can't tell you how excited I am to read this. You guys are part of the WP family now and hearing about all this progress really makes my day. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2018, 4:24 pm

just a update on the monster child LOL
We started corn harvest if you never been on a farm or ranch it makes for very long days this year I get to run one the John Deere 1570 (combines) JD (my little brother not the tractor) rides with me if the combine moves he is in the buddy seat. He says it is his com-tractor that's what he calls it and gets mad if anybody moves it without him. Jd has been doing really well on the ranch he brought me a book and said how do this I guess he means how do you read it. when we are on the combine he likes to let the air out of the seat and then air it back up over and over I wish the switch was on the other side he gets mad at me if I don't keep the cab clean. it's like having a six-year-old boss in the cab. He tells me you only 13 not know how to do all tractoring you need to listen. I wanted him to talk so bad, now wish he would shut up awhile. Today I was trying to set the GPS lost the satellites. He got the book out and said maybe you read so we can go you not know what you doing get papa he knows. then stormed out of the combine and walked to papa and told him Cotton not know you fix so we go. I think he wants me fired he told Papa, Cotton needs to go he not work enough. I'm writing on my phone while I wait for the trucks so sorry for mistakes hard to see and not to leave a question out how can I help him learn to read and I mean what can I do, not where to go for help it would be kind of cool if he could read a little before school starts

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 1:57 am

Hello, I'm not too sure about learning to read, does he know his A,B,Cs? I think you need to start there because to me it's all about making the connections with what sounds go with which letters. Also be aware that dyslexia is another condition that is common for people with autism, if this is true for JD, this would make learning to read harder again.

Hopefully someone else will have some better advice for you, but I think this question might be worth you making a new thread in the parenting section, you can include a link back to this thread. I think this thread is great, please keep updating it, I like to read about what you are doing and all the progress you are making together.

I hope your harvest goes well and you don't get too worn out.

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2018, 9:48 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Hello, I'm not too sure about learning to read, does he know his A,B,Cs? I think you need to start there because to me it's all about making the connections with what sounds go with which letters. Also be aware that dyslexia is another condition that is common for people with autism, if this is true for JD, this would make learning to read harder again.

Hopefully someone else will have some better advice for you, but I think this question might be worth you making a new thread in the parenting section, you can include a link back to this thread. I think this thread is great, please keep updating it, I like to read about what you are doing and all the progress you are making together.

Thanks I'm not sure if he knows his ABC's I thought maybe find something we could do in the tractor because thats's when JD is so I guess the word is calm or happy no stress on him we have downtime because of the auto steer. and what is dyslexia in simple terms please

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 10:20 am

colton.s wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:

Thanks I'm not sure if he knows his ABC's I thought maybe find something we could do in the tractor because thats's when JD is so I guess the word is calm or happy no stress on him we have downtime because of the auto steer. and what is dyslexia in simple terms please

Dyslexia is disorder where basically letters basally get scrambled in the mind. Like seeing the word "cat" as "tac". Or words in sentences come out in the wrong order like, "the fence jumped over the dog". I have dyslexia and when writing I sometimes put words in the wrong order. Or I'm not sure what order to put them in. Yoda talked in a dyslexic way like "strong in you the force is".

I actually didn't start reading and writing until I was 10. And I pretty much had to teach myself how to do it.

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2018, 3:02 pm

EzraS wrote:
colton.s wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:

Dyslexia is disorder where basically letters basally get scrambled in the mind. Like seeing the word "cat" as "tac". Or words in sentences come out in the wrong order like, "the fence jumped over the dog". I have dyslexia and when writing I sometimes put words in the wrong order. Or I'm not sure what order to put them in. Yoda talked in a dyslexic way like "strong in you the force is".

I actually didn't start reading and writing until I was 10. And I pretty much had to teach myself how to do it.

Thanks I understand what you are saying not sure I get it but understand

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 4:20 pm

Does he have any books?
If you can, get him some books about things he is interested in like tractors, horses, farms. You can look in the library or kids sections in book stores, maybe let him pick out his own books.
Read them to him and show him the words.
You can also show him things like road signs and teach him what they mean.
The most important thing is to get him interested in reading.
You can also show him how the letters of the alphabet go together to make words and how to sound out the words.

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2018, 4:35 pm

Marybird wrote:
Does he have any books?
If you can, get him some books about things he is interested in like tractors, horses, farms. You can look in the library or kids sections in book stores, maybe let him pick out his own books.
You can also show him how the letters of the alphabet go together to make words and how to sound out the words.

Thanks he has so many books about tractors. He likes to watch the operation screen on the tractor and change it like he is reading each screen. He points at the screen and says what that and says it over and over till I read it to him.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 5:31 pm

colton.s wrote:
Marybird wrote:
Does he have any books?

Thanks he has so many books about tractors. He likes to watch the operation screen on the tractor and change it like he is reading each screen. He points at the screen and says what that and says it over and over till I read it to him.

That's great, it shows he is already interested and wants to learn to read. Children learn what they want to learn.

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2018, 10:15 am

Marybird wrote:
colton.s wrote:
Marybird wrote:
Does he have any books?

That's great, it shows he is already interested and wants to learn to read. Children learn what they want to learn.

He is smart, He does know some of his ABC but writes his B's and d's backward He is hooked on sesame street now he watches it on the Ipad sitting by me in the combine while we harvest (all day every day:roll: ) and brings a pen and paper and writes as he watches his handwriting sucks but maybe because we are in a moving tractor I guess it is a start. He seems obsessed with it but he gets that way he wants the sound Bluetoothed over the radio or toothed as he calls it so I get to hear it. If I'm talking on the radio to another tractor he tells me "cotton if you not talk so much you might learn to" He has a backpack he puts the Ipad, pencils, paper, and snacks in not sure what else is in there he won't let me look. and brings with him. I always thought there was so much room in the cab of a combine but not now with all the stuff JD brings