Is the word "autistic" going to go the way of "retarded"?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 9:41 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
Perhaps as an insult, but "autistic" is a legitimate medical term that would be harder to phase out than "retarded."

Retarded is a scientific term, smoking retards growth for instance.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 9:58 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Nekomonster wrote:
Perhaps as an insult, but "autistic" is a legitimate medical term that would be harder to phase out than "retarded."

Yep, and that's a good point as it was also the idea behind the word as originally applied to people with intellectual disabilities. Then the usage shifted to be un-scientifically applied as a general affront to people without actual disability. This parallels the shifting usage of "autistic" too.

[Edit] - Also, 'see definition #2' applies again as the water is already muddy with the term "autistic" as a non-medical reference.

Last edited by Exuvian on 12 Jun 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 9:59 pm

I don't think the word autistic is bad, but the way NTs misuse the word is bad. It's like when they say someone is gay when they think they're stupid. I once knew a guy in school whose favorite phrase was "don't be gay". He would say it at least twenty times during a conversation with his friends. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 1:06 am

Daniel89 wrote:
Nekomonster wrote:

Retarded was a psychiatric diagnosis, as was moron and imbecile. When they became insults they were dropped as diagnosis. I do not see why that could not happen with autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2018, 6:56 am

no because people aren't that dumb

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 7:02 am

Biskit69 wrote:

I've seen a lot of Youtube comments... I'm not so sure.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 8:09 am

Exuvian wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

Yes, and that is because "dumb" is not the issue. So many people today believe life is some kind of contact sport where there must be "losers" so they can view themselves as superior, better-than-them "winners"...and *that* is the problem.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 7:04 pm

Murphy's Law

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 8:16 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Murphy's Law

"whatever can go wrong, will go wrong."?
That's probably about right. :)

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 9:22 pm

And here's a note, the word "retard/ed" just meant slow, so when "retard" became an insult, it must have also become corrupted into "stupid" (as in "intellectually disabled"), so "stupid" and "slow" become conflated to the point where "slow" itself has in some cases actually put off alarms in people's heads about those mocking I.D. Now, we have all three meanings (slow, mentally disabled, then general slur) conflated into one.

Insane guys... 8O

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 6:43 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
And here's a note, the word "retard/ed" just meant slow, so when "retard" became an insult, it must have also become corrupted into "stupid" (as in "intellectually disabled"), so "stupid" and "slow" become conflated to the point where "slow" itself has in some cases actually put off alarms in people's heads about those mocking I.D. Now, we have all three meanings (slow, mentally disabled, then general slur) conflated into one.

Insane guys... 8O

Not exactly. Your chronology is a bit off.

Back in 1930's doctors and shrinks actually used terms like "imbecile","idiot", and "moron", as clinical terms for the intellectually disabled.

After the war the medical community decided not to use loaded terms like that anymore. So they adopted the fancy French word for "delayed", which is "retarded", as the new, nicer, term for what the folks they use to call morons and so on. That is "low IQ".

And of course the term "retarded" itself leaked out into the public lingo (including kids on the playground) to mean "intellectually impaired" (ie "stupid").

So when the public (ie school kids) got a hold of the term "retard" , and used it as an epithet, back when we Boomers were all in gradeschool in the Fifties/sixties it had already been used by science as a clinical term for low IQ individuals.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 11:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
...back when we Boomers were all in gradeschool in the Fifties/sixties it had already been used by science as a clinical term for low IQ individuals.

One of my neighbors in the late-50s and throughout the 60s was a child I would now guess was low-functioning autistic, but back then he had been diagnosed and institutionalized (for a time) as "retarded". Overall, however, the term "retard" was seldom used by anyone in our rural community because people were compassionate and knew the proper meaning of its root.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 4:16 pm

Biskit69 wrote:

Yes, they are.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 4:23 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:

Insane guys... 8O

While "retarded", "stupid" were pejoratives, "slow" was a neutral descriptor in my area.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 6:14 pm

Exuvian wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

The YT comment section is the big balrog of stupid. Please never take seriously what is written on there.