Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,336
Location: Finland

04 Jul 2018, 6:30 am

GoodBlade wrote:
is everyone who participates here actually autistic?


No. While WP is primarily meant for autistics and others on the spectrum, there's also a good number of NTs here.


_________________
“They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.”
― Kurt Cobain


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,160
Location: my own little world

04 Jul 2018, 6:47 am

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Schools out for......Summer!

Alice Cooper


School's out.....forever!

Unless I end up in college.
Congratulations on graduating Ezra. You should definitely go to college even if it's online. Is there any reason why you would not?


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,160
Location: my own little world

04 Jul 2018, 7:03 am

GoodBlade, sorry if you felt offended. But in all fairness, a couple of the things you said were a bit offensive as well even if you did not intend them to be.

Autism, first of all, is not only a deficit in social skills. That is a big part of Autism but there are so many other issues and challenges that we have that are not about social skills. Secondly, even some of the most severe and nonverbal people can often times be quite eloquent and can communicate extremely well in written form especially when typing. Ezra posted the video on Carly as an example. I know Ezra won't mind me saying this because he posts about his own situation publicly very often, but even he is pretty much nonverbal and has comorbids that cause him to be considered quite low functioning yet he just graduated from high school at the regular age for graduation and I expect and hope that he will pursue a college degree since he is very intelligent and very capable.

We had an adult member here years ago who was completely nonverbal, not potty trained, in a wheelchair, in a home where she received 24 hour care, and she was one of the most informative and intelligent posters on the site. She was very respected and loved by all of us. Even though she was considered very low functioning, and even though she had no ability to connect with people in real life, so she basically had no social skills, her ability to connect with us online in written form was remarkable. She also trained therapy birds.

And many of us who appear high functioning online and even a lot of times in real life can also really struggle with many many different things and can struggle very severely. But it is impossible for people to know that from an online forum. People will only post and write when they are feeling well enough to do it and they won't sit around all day posting about their severe struggles. So it is impossible to tell from a forum what people's lives are really like.

And social skills don't come through on a written forum. You have no way of telling what people's actual social skills are like just from the posts that they write. Some people have no social skills at all yet they are able to navigate in written form quite well. I have the social awareness of a four to six year old but you would never be able to tell that by the posts that I write. And like I said earlier, social skills are not the only thing that Autistic people struggle with. So you simply cannot tell the severity of someone's Autism by posts on a forum. It is not fair or right to make those kinds of assumptions and that is why people were offended.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,547
Location: USA

04 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

skibum wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Schools out for......Summer!

Alice Cooper


School's out.....forever!

Unless I end up in college.
Congratulations on graduating Ezra. You should definitely go to college even if it's online. Is there any reason why you would not?


Thanks.

Yes, because it's more school :eew:



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,160
Location: my own little world

04 Jul 2018, 8:00 am

EzraS wrote:
skibum wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Schools out for......Summer!

Alice Cooper


School's out.....forever!

Unless I end up in college.
Congratulations on graduating Ezra. You should definitely go to college even if it's online. Is there any reason why you would not?


Thanks.

Yes, because it's more school :eew:
LOL!! :lol:
You won't regret getting a degree. It's only a few more years. :D


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Aug 2015
Posts: 4,922

04 Jul 2018, 8:35 am

skibum wrote:
EzraS wrote:
skibum wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Schools out for......Summer!

Alice Cooper


School's out.....forever!

Unless I end up in college.
Congratulations on graduating Ezra. You should definitely go to college even if it's online. Is there any reason why you would not?


Thanks.

Yes, because it's more school :eew:
LOL!! :lol:
You won't regret getting a degree. It's only a few more years. :D
I mean, what else are you going to do with your time, Ezra? Troll Internet forums? I agree with Skibum, you should definitely try some college. Worst that could happen is find out it doesn't interest you. But you have such a great brain, I think you'll find that it does.


_________________
Gone.


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,160
Location: my own little world

04 Jul 2018, 8:40 am

I think Ezra has potential to have an incredible career in whatever field interests him. With the right accommodations he can really go far.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Posts: 72
Location: Germany

04 Jul 2018, 8:42 am

Really wrong imo to require an expensive college degree with an education that could've been just gotten from the library by some people for jobs that don't need that.
At some point you'll have ot get a job


_________________
Is there a reason to judge somebody for seeking contact?
Those who know who they are: think again


GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2018
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Location: Israel

04 Jul 2018, 9:09 am

skibum wrote:
GoodBlade, sorry if you felt offended. But in all fairness, a couple of the things you said were a bit offensive as well even if you did not intend them to be.

Autism, first of all, is not only a deficit in social skills. That is a big part of Autism but there are so many other issues and challenges that we have that are not about social skills. Secondly, even some of the most severe and nonverbal people can often times be quite eloquent and can communicate extremely well in written form especially when typing. Ezra posted the video on Carly as an example. I know Ezra won't mind me saying this because he posts about his own situation publicly very often, but even he is pretty much nonverbal and has comorbids that cause him to be considered quite low functioning yet he just graduated from high school at the regular age for graduation and I expect and hope that he will pursue a college degree since he is very intelligent and very capable.

We had an adult member here years ago who was completely nonverbal, not potty trained, in a wheelchair, in a home where she received 24 hour care, and she was one of the most informative and intelligent posters on the site. She was very respected and loved by all of us. Even though she was considered very low functioning, and even though she had no ability to connect with people in real life, so she basically had no social skills, her ability to connect with us online in written form was remarkable. She also trained therapy birds.

And many of us who appear high functioning online and even a lot of times in real life can also really struggle with many many different things and can struggle very severely. But it is impossible for people to know that from an online forum. People will only post and write when they are feeling well enough to do it and they won't sit around all day posting about their severe struggles. So it is impossible to tell from a forum what people's lives are really like.

And social skills don't come through on a written forum. You have no way of telling what people's actual social skills are like just from the posts that they write. Some people have no social skills at all yet they are able to navigate in written form quite well. I have the social awareness of a four to six year old but you would never be able to tell that by the posts that I write. And like I said earlier, social skills are not the only thing that Autistic people struggle with. So you simply cannot tell the severity of someone's Autism by posts on a forum. It is not fair or right to make those kinds of assumptions and that is why people were offended.

I'm aware of most of the things you mentioned, and obviously Autism and its related disorders are complicated, and cant be understood through online forums. I didn't mean to present anything as permanent facts or mean to say I can read everybody here through their forum posts, and perhaps, it seems those of you who have decided to insult, or make fun of it, have misunderstood my intentions. Including you, since you still think I made an unfair assumption when I wasn't.
I could have been more clear about what I mean to say, and that was the mistake, in that specific post I have written on this thread. But, I think you could have used more of your common sense as a method of understanding what I meant.
Your misunderstanding, is not something I can control or that I am obligated to pay attention to. I am not a doctor or a therapist, or someone who can take the time to explain every single thing that other people failed to understand, or understand incorrectly.
I suggest you read and think more carefully, before you conclude something that is not true. That's probably the most important thing you might need to learn from all this.
And to make things clear, I haven't registered on these forums, for the purpose of making anybody feel offended, or disrupt any discussions. I really hope you won't reach any further wrong conclusions, about me or a post I wrote.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure you understand now.



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,160
Location: my own little world

04 Jul 2018, 9:44 am

Okkano wrote:
Really wrong imo to require an expensive college degree with an education that could've been just gotten from the library by some people for jobs that don't need that.
At some point you'll have ot get a job
Ezra has the potential to be extraordinary and to have a very good career in powerful professions. I missed my college degree by four classes because of my Autism. I would do anything to be able to get it now but now my life has changed dramatically and it is not something I can realistically look into. If Ezra has ways to get a degree, he should. He should be encouraged to do so. If he has no means at all to get one than just furthering his education on his own might be an option. But that should not be his first option. It is already bad enough that people who are considered low functioning are already underestimated and that many people do not even believe that they are even capable of getting a college degree. I know that Ezra has the intelligence and capability to get a doctorate's if he wants to. I think it is important to encourage him to dream big and to reach the potential that he has. There should be a lot of scholarships that are open to him because of his situation. If he can go to college I don't see why he should be discouraged from doing so. I know that he has the ability to have a very successful career, even much more than I.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,160
Location: my own little world

04 Jul 2018, 9:52 am

GoodBlade wrote:
skibum wrote:
GoodBlade, sorry if you felt offended. But in all fairness, a couple of the things you said were a bit offensive as well even if you did not intend them to be.

Autism, first of all, is not only a deficit in social skills. That is a big part of Autism but there are so many other issues and challenges that we have that are not about social skills. Secondly, even some of the most severe and nonverbal people can often times be quite eloquent and can communicate extremely well in written form especially when typing. Ezra posted the video on Carly as an example. I know Ezra won't mind me saying this because he posts about his own situation publicly very often, but even he is pretty much nonverbal and has comorbids that cause him to be considered quite low functioning yet he just graduated from high school at the regular age for graduation and I expect and hope that he will pursue a college degree since he is very intelligent and very capable.

We had an adult member here years ago who was completely nonverbal, not potty trained, in a wheelchair, in a home where she received 24 hour care, and she was one of the most informative and intelligent posters on the site. She was very respected and loved by all of us. Even though she was considered very low functioning, and even though she had no ability to connect with people in real life, so she basically had no social skills, her ability to connect with us online in written form was remarkable. She also trained therapy birds.

And many of us who appear high functioning online and even a lot of times in real life can also really struggle with many many different things and can struggle very severely. But it is impossible for people to know that from an online forum. People will only post and write when they are feeling well enough to do it and they won't sit around all day posting about their severe struggles. So it is impossible to tell from a forum what people's lives are really like.

And social skills don't come through on a written forum. You have no way of telling what people's actual social skills are like just from the posts that they write. Some people have no social skills at all yet they are able to navigate in written form quite well. I have the social awareness of a four to six year old but you would never be able to tell that by the posts that I write. And like I said earlier, social skills are not the only thing that Autistic people struggle with. So you simply cannot tell the severity of someone's Autism by posts on a forum. It is not fair or right to make those kinds of assumptions and that is why people were offended.

I'm aware of most of the things you mentioned, and obviously Autism and its related disorders are complicated, and cant be understood through online forums. I didn't mean to present anything as permanent facts or mean to say I can read everybody here through their forum posts, and perhaps, it seems those of you who have decided to insult, or make fun of it, have misunderstood my intentions. Including you, since you still think I made an unfair assumption when I wasn't.
I could have been more clear about what I mean to say, and that was the mistake, in that specific post I have written on this thread. But, I think you could have used more of your common sense as a method of understanding what I meant.
Your misunderstanding, is not something I can control or that I am obligated to pay attention to. I am not a doctor or a therapist, or someone who can take the time to explain every single thing that other people failed to understand, or understand incorrectly.
I suggest you read and think more carefully, before you conclude something that is not true. That's probably the most important thing you might need to learn from all this.
And to make things clear, I haven't registered on these forums, for the purpose of making anybody feel offended, or disrupt any discussions. I really hope you won't reach any further wrong conclusions, about me or a post I wrote.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure you understand now.
I understand what you are saying and I really do appreciate your explaining and your position.

Please understand however, that I said nothing offensive to you at all nor did I accuse you of anything and by the exact same logic that you just used for me, you could have applied to my post that you just quoted. The other thing is that part of being Autistic, and this is a very strong Autistic trait, is that we tend to take things literally. If you say something or write something, we will often take you at your word. It is not possible a lot of the times for us to understand what you meant if it is different from what you said. If you say something, we only have your words to go by, we can't automatically assume that you mean something other than your words. It is not a matter of common sense, it is a matter of speaking clearly and actually saying what you mean and meaning what you say. No one should be expected to figure out what you really mean if the words you use have a different meaning than what you mean.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,647
Location: Orlando

04 Jul 2018, 10:52 am

Good Blade, you were rude to Skibum.

As for Ezra, I don't know you or your abilities enough to quantify what you can do. However if college is something you want, there is no reason not to try. Several funding options exist. Pick a field that will have a high chance of making you employable. Now if you come from a more affluent background, you can get a fluff type degree. It's all about what your goals are and your family financial picture figures into it.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,544
Location: Long Island, New York

04 Jul 2018, 11:04 am

skibum wrote:
I think Ezra has potential to have an incredible career in whatever field interests him. With the right accommodations he can really go far.


I agree.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials


GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2018
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Location: Israel

04 Jul 2018, 1:58 pm

skibum wrote:
GoodBlade wrote:
skibum wrote:
GoodBlade, sorry if you felt offended. But in all fairness, a couple of the things you said were a bit offensive as well even if you did not intend them to be.

Autism, first of all, is not only a deficit in social skills. That is a big part of Autism but there are so many other issues and challenges that we have that are not about social skills. Secondly, even some of the most severe and nonverbal people can often times be quite eloquent and can communicate extremely well in written form especially when typing. Ezra posted the video on Carly as an example. I know Ezra won't mind me saying this because he posts about his own situation publicly very often, but even he is pretty much nonverbal and has comorbids that cause him to be considered quite low functioning yet he just graduated from high school at the regular age for graduation and I expect and hope that he will pursue a college degree since he is very intelligent and very capable.

We had an adult member here years ago who was completely nonverbal, not potty trained, in a wheelchair, in a home where she received 24 hour care, and she was one of the most informative and intelligent posters on the site. She was very respected and loved by all of us. Even though she was considered very low functioning, and even though she had no ability to connect with people in real life, so she basically had no social skills, her ability to connect with us online in written form was remarkable. She also trained therapy birds.

And many of us who appear high functioning online and even a lot of times in real life can also really struggle with many many different things and can struggle very severely. But it is impossible for people to know that from an online forum. People will only post and write when they are feeling well enough to do it and they won't sit around all day posting about their severe struggles. So it is impossible to tell from a forum what people's lives are really like.

And social skills don't come through on a written forum. You have no way of telling what people's actual social skills are like just from the posts that they write. Some people have no social skills at all yet they are able to navigate in written form quite well. I have the social awareness of a four to six year old but you would never be able to tell that by the posts that I write. And like I said earlier, social skills are not the only thing that Autistic people struggle with. So you simply cannot tell the severity of someone's Autism by posts on a forum. It is not fair or right to make those kinds of assumptions and that is why people were offended.

I'm aware of most of the things you mentioned, and obviously Autism and its related disorders are complicated, and cant be understood through online forums. I didn't mean to present anything as permanent facts or mean to say I can read everybody here through their forum posts, and perhaps, it seems those of you who have decided to insult, or make fun of it, have misunderstood my intentions. Including you, since you still think I made an unfair assumption when I wasn't.
I could have been more clear about what I mean to say, and that was the mistake, in that specific post I have written on this thread. But, I think you could have used more of your common sense as a method of understanding what I meant.
Your misunderstanding, is not something I can control or that I am obligated to pay attention to. I am not a doctor or a therapist, or someone who can take the time to explain every single thing that other people failed to understand, or understand incorrectly.
I suggest you read and think more carefully, before you conclude something that is not true. That's probably the most important thing you might need to learn from all this.
And to make things clear, I haven't registered on these forums, for the purpose of making anybody feel offended, or disrupt any discussions. I really hope you won't reach any further wrong conclusions, about me or a post I wrote.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure you understand now.
I understand what you are saying and I really do appreciate your explaining and your position.

Please understand however, that I said nothing offensive to you at all nor did I accuse you of anything and by the exact same logic that you just used for me, you could have applied to my post that you just quoted. The other thing is that part of being Autistic, and this is a very strong Autistic trait, is that we tend to take things literally. If you say something or write something, we will often take you at your word. It is not possible a lot of the times for us to understand what you meant if it is different from what you said. If you say something, we only have your words to go by, we can't automatically assume that you mean something other than your words. It is not a matter of common sense, it is a matter of speaking clearly and actually saying what you mean and meaning what you say. No one should be expected to figure out what you really mean if the words you use have a different meaning than what you mean.

Okay, I'll be as clear as I can about what I mean next time, because I understand there are people here who understand things literally, because of their Autism. However, I don't want to continue any further argument regarding who was rude and who was polite, etc.
Also, it might was a mistake to go deep into qualities of people on this community, etc. People here are sensitive, it seems, when it comes to getting into more personal or inter-personal discussion.
Thanks, I have learned everything I needed to learn from this, and you did too.
Everything is understood and clear, I ask that we stop now and not argue further.
I wish you all well, and hope we have more friendly conversations in the future. Thanks for your time.



HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,647
Location: Orlando

04 Jul 2018, 3:06 pm

Good riddance, mate.