Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 11:57 am

I remember when I first came on this forum I didn't understand that much about those with more severe cases of autism, even though I was diagnosed with Asperger's at a young age. So I assumed that everybody on WP were as high-functioning as me just because they can type posts rather well on an internet forum. I learnt the hard way that I was wrong, and I'm glad I did. Now I know that any member on this forum could be anywhere on the autism spectrum, or even not at all.

I was once told here by a member (who I don't think is around any more) that all autistics have a social mind of a newborn baby. That is not true at all, maybe for some (doesn't mean ret*d though), but not for all. When I was 2 I had the social mind of a typically developing 2-year-old. My social development slowed down a bit at the age of 4, but I was only about 2-3 years behind my peers socially growing up, but even then not in every way. It was more behaviour-wise I was socially behind, not so much social instincts.

GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2018, 4:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.
About my diagnoseis, yes I have a very weak version of Asperger's, which you could call "light autism", but in everyday real life conversation, it's difficult to tell that about me and few people actually find out.
On the Internet it's nearly impossible to tell I have Asperger's, since messages I write are usually coming across as normal and legitimate.
Sometimes I can be weird, and say or do something unusual. But that's pretty rare, it doesn't happen every other second.
I agree with one thing, which was stated here by one of you who had replied. Which is, autism is indeed not causing poor social skills, but a less acceptable way of performing your social skills, kinda.
An autistic person can speak to other people normally, but he could do it in a way that wouldn't appear like everyone else does.
But maybe there is quite a large part of the community here, who believe they have a kind of autism but in reality just have a weaker ability to deal with social situations, etc.
I guess I have concluded things up more or less, about this.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 5:22 pm

So the op thinks none of us can be intelligent or express ourselves well through our writing, or typing in this case? Writing is usually a lot easier than just talking because you can actually think about what you're to say. We don't have to worry about eye contact or facial expressions either.

I'm aspie and female, so I'm lucky I was even diagnosed with Aspergers at all. People knew before then I was different and unusual but no one, including psychiatrists, could figure out why.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 5:34 pm

GoodBlade wrote:
Hey everyone, sorry for the unexpected thread out of nowhere like that. There's just an important question I must ask, and I can't figure it out myself.
Well, I joined this forums community just a day or two ago, and have kinda lurked for a certain amount of time before that, without taking part.
I understand it's aimed for autistic people, but, is everyone who participates here actually autistic?
Because, I've read around and have seen many intelligent people with strong social skills, making detailed comments on various topics and quality posts, etc. They seriously don't sound like they have autism or anything.
Obviously I can't hear their voices through text, but still, that's the impression I'm getting.

A person who would comment that "this site has a lot of intelligent sounding posts therefore it must have a lot non autistics" has to be either (A)a troll, or (B) a total idiot.

Those are the only two options.

So which one are you? Troll? Or idiot?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 5:39 pm

GoodBlade wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.
About my diagnoseis, yes I have a very weak version of Asperger's, which you could call "light autism", but in everyday real life conversation, it's difficult to tell that about me and few people actually find out.
On the Internet it's nearly impossible to tell I have Asperger's, since messages I write are usually coming across as normal and legitimate.
Sometimes I can be weird, and say or do something unusual. But that's pretty rare, it doesn't happen every other second.
I agree with one thing, which was stated here by one of you who had replied. Which is, autism is indeed not causing poor social skills, but a less acceptable way of performing your social skills, kinda.
An autistic person can speak to other people normally, but he could do it in a way that wouldn't appear like everyone else does.
But maybe there is quite a large part of the community here, who believe they have a kind of autism but in reality just have a weaker ability to deal with social situations, etc.
I guess I have concluded things up more or less, about this.

Wow. Just wow.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm

There is just so much more to it than posts on a forum. And social skills (and difficulties) are just one aspect of it.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 8:00 pm

Relax. School is out and lots of bored kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 8:01 pm

Schools out for......Summer!

Alice Cooper

GoodBlade

04 Jul 2018, 12:36 am

I don't understand where your hostility is coming from. I'm too old to be at school and I am certainly not bored or an idiot, who tries to make stupid posts. You could have expressed your disagreement more nicely, but whatever, we're done here I guess. Take care of yourselves. By the way, I reported your post, hopefully it will be looked at.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 12:48 am

Your initial question was a perfectly fair one, but you shouldn't be surprised or offended by the fact that it elicited some robustly expressed replies, especially on a forum such as this. Maybe you should stay around a little longer at least, in order to form a more balanced opinion of this place?

GoodBlade

04 Jul 2018, 12:52 am

DeepHour wrote:
Your initial question was a perfectly fair one, but you shouldn't be surprised or offended by the fact that it elicited some robustly expressed replies, especially on a forum such as this. Maybe you should stay around a little longer at least, in order to form a more balanced opinion of this place?

I don't mind continuing to stay around here, and rude replies like these above wouldn't cause me to quit these forums. But I am kinda surprised to see such rudeness. I didn't say anything unfair towards anybody in particular, and disagreement can be expressed in more polite ways.
I would say, if my reply was somehow attacking a specific person in particular, and I was 100% serious about it, I would understand the bad reactions. But I wasn't insulting anybody. I was just stating my thoughts, perhaps the way I chose to phrase it was incorrect, but it's still understandable.
Regardless, some of the replies were rude and totally unnecessary, and I reported them to a Moderator. I have a right to, there is a Report button and I am allowed to use it like everyone else.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 1:52 am

GoodBlade wrote:
I don't understand where your hostility is coming from. I'm too old to be at school and I am certainly not bored or an idiot, who tries to make stupid posts. You could have expressed your disagreement more nicely, but whatever, we're done here I guess. Take care of yourselves. By the way, I reported your post, hopefully it will be looked at.

Don't let a couple of irascible people put you off. I thought your question was quite reasonable and I wasn't the least bit offended by it. To me you're obviously just new to this.

Some of these folks have a pretty big chip on their shoulder.

Back around 2005, before I was in school with other autistics, my dad found a usenet autism discussion group and his first thought was "wow they're actually talking to each other!".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 2:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Schools out for......Summer!

Alice Cooper

School's out.....forever!

Unless I end up in college.

Last edited by EzraS on 04 Jul 2018, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okkano

04 Jul 2018, 2:06 am

Autism is imo rather about the absence of natural social abilities that go far deeper than most NTs seem to be able to comprehend instead of a magic inability with people.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 2:16 am

GoodBlade wrote:
I wasn't insulting anybody. I was just stating my thoughts, perhaps the way I chose to phrase it was incorrect, but it's still understandable.

Your question was fair, but the way you presented it had mildly insulting implications. Think of the difference between "For being a forum for and about people with difficulties interacting socially, the degree of social skills on display is remarkably high.", and "wow, I thought this was a forum for autistic people, but you guys are intelligent and articulate."

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 6:30 am

GoodBlade wrote:
is everyone who participates here actually autistic?

No. While WP is primarily meant for autistics and others on the spectrum, there's also a good number of NTs here.