Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 7:56 am

It's to where I don't want to go anywhere or see anyone. I got worn out from all the people at my job...off for summer as I work in education. Had all these plans of going to daily Mass....I'm Episcopalian. Similar to Catholic. Haven't done that in three weeks. No motivation to go.

Please don't attack this post, anyone.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 12:43 pm

I struggle with depression too. All I want to do is sleep and I have no energy to do anything. It is really hard to get up in the morning and I'm sleepy all the time. I don't have the energy to interact with people. There are days where I can't bring myself to speak because I have so little energy. It's hard to get motivated to attend church. It struggle to find the energy to put any effort into my appearance. I shower every night, but I don't wear make up and jewelry that much because I usually don't feel like putting it on. It's hard to feel motivated and have energy to do anything when you don't feel wanted by society.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 1:04 pm

When getting dressed and washing my hair feels like climbing Mt. Everest. ..that's how I can tell depression has set in.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 1:17 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
When getting dressed and washing my hair feels like climbing Mt. Everest. ..that's how I can tell depression has set in.

That's exactly how it feels. Unless I have to go to work, attend church, or go with Dad to Walmart, I will be in my pajamas all day long. It's pointless to get dressed if I'm not going anywhere or expecting company.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 1:23 pm

It's the reality for some of us. Sucks. Few people understand.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2018, 1:53 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
It's to where I don't want to go anywhere or see anyone.

ladyelaine wrote:
All I want to do is sleep and I have no energy to do anything. It is really hard to get up in the morning and I'm sleepy all the time. I don't have the energy to interact with people. There are days where I can't bring myself to speak because I have so little energy.

ladyelaine wrote:
I will be in my pajamas all day long. It's pointless to get dressed if I'm not going anywhere or expecting company.
Yea all of the above for me :( . Persistent depression is the worst. On top of that, feeling ashamed all the time for acting like that and not being productive.

HistoryGal wrote:
It's the reality for some of us. Sucks. Few people understand.
I get where you are coming with this too. People who have never felt depressed tend to not understand it at all. When I was younger, my brother and dad would tell me stuff like "It's just in your head, you can just change how you think, problem solved" or "you are just lazy". I don't think I agree with the statement that few people understand though because depression is quite widespread, especially for people on the spectrum.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 1:58 pm

It just feels like few people understand....and it's true to an extent.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:00 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
It just feels like few people understand....and it's true to an extent.

Are you a psych?

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:05 pm

I don't think anyone on here is a psychologist. We are sharing our experiences. You are welcome to do the same but please don't derail the thread.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:07 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
I don't think anyone on here is a psychologist. We are sharing our experiences. You are welcome to do the same but please don't derail the thread.

Most seem to be. It's cold. We are playthings.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2018, 2:23 pm

Recently I've been working with the concept of self-abandonement. Also, the word of the week is reciprocity as it pertains to socializing and taking into account the other persons needs.

Sometimes helpers will say that when you are depressed and isolating that is the time to show up or connect with people although I've told myself many many times that is a no go, not possible and believed it. It may be true that what helps to keep moving through difficult experiences is maintaining a connection with my values and asking the question "is this bringing me closer to the person I want to be?"

Also: For the record I was on various anti-depressants for ~8 years and I believe that being on drugs was a hindrance not a help. After a year off I no longer feel as if I'm under water. Thank you self for doing that for me.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:28 pm

Raises hand .... over here.

However, my husband and I do still get a hearty laugh out of political humor on late night TV.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:36 pm

I’m sorry you’re feeling down, Historygal.

When I feel down, I feel like I can’t even enjoy beautiful things.....even if they’re right in front of me.

Anything in particular causing you to feel this way?

I’m not a therapist. I’m just some guy.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:58 pm

Well, I suffer from Chronic Depression (Dysthymia). Hide it well with my humor, but the sadder I feel, the more humor I use because I do not want anyone to feel like me.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 5:46 pm

Yes, it is something I deal with regularly. There are issues that can trigger it and I do my best to avoid those if I can. Sometimes the only way I can snap out of it is to go into my dark side of creativity for a while to let my brain reset back to a better state.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 5:52 pm

Yeah Kraftie, there's just something about not having friends after I dropped my toxic set of abusers. Same old sh!t and routine every weekend. H doesn't exactly do the friend thing.