Do you have a negative bias toward NT people in general?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2018, 1:16 am

I have a distaste of NTs, subconciously definetly biased.
They will have a negative bias against me, and usually just make my life difficult in many ways.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 1:23 am

Oh no, my feelings about them are just as positive as my feelings are about most *other* lower life forms near the bottom of the food chain. :twisted:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jul 2018, 1:26 am

I was bullied aLOT as a kid by NTs. I don't hate other NTs cuz of it thou. I dislike people who are mean or assholeish but I don't have any problem with people who are nice or keep to themselves regardless of if they're NT, Aspies or have some other disorders.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

traven
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 2:20 am

still on the fence, where, very un-pc, the overlap with nt and median iq (of conformity) are complicated
since always
it doesn't help if you're bridging,
they won't and won't accept any and rather become covered violent about it

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 3:41 am

Inevitably, people essentially say/think, "What is wrong with you?"

I internalize that; it hurts, so I pre-emptively dislike people.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2018, 6:34 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
... However, I am not such a fool as to think that my attempts to eliminate such biases are always successful, nor that I'm entirely aware what biases may or may not be lurking in my subconscious mind.

Likewise. I like to think I am unbiased to everyone, but alas I'm human. I have the wrong thoughts sometimes.

That said I don't think I have a negative bias towards NT people, but since coming here I have come to think of NTs as separate from me. For the first time in my life I feel like I'm part of a tribe, that autistic people are my people and NTs are outsiders. Even so, I don't know how well we autistic people could do without NTs, and I think NTs are better off having some of us around, so I if I have negative bias against NTs I should try real hard to get rid of it. :D

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 6:52 pm

No, I think they're no better or worse than autistic people. I've known autistic people who are judgmental or mean too, so I don't think autistic people are inherently morally superior.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 5:51 am

I can't reliably tell who's NT. All I can tell is if a person is very different from me or not. I do seem to avoid people who complain a lot, whether NT or not. I don't have the patience or emotional depth to feel sorry for their troubles and comfort them. I do try, but usually just end up suggesting a supplement or device to solve their problems. :D Somehow that rarely worked.

I don't think I have bias towards anybody. I actually think it's an aspie trait. I look at people with mild interest and view them all as equals. I rarely judge people. It's possible that my social brain just doesn't act fast enough during the brief encounter to to think about or imagine what kind of people they are. That's just fine for me.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2018, 6:13 am

I have no bias, aside from the fact that I realize there is less chance they might instantly understand me. That being said, maybe if I had more bad experiences with them in the past, I might be more skeptical.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 8:20 am

NTs don't have to be in your face mean to you.....they can hurt you in other ways.....subtleties.....you're just invisible.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 8:24 am

There are nice NTs. There are mean NTs. There are nice autistics. There are mean autistics.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

Joe90 wrote:
A bit like once when some people I knew were laughing at a woman in the street because she was bald. They thought it was just her choice of hairstyle and that she looked "weird", but I actually wondered if she might be a cancer survivor and lost her hair through having treatment. You don't know.

When I was a not-so-little boy, an author could get away with writing, in a book meant for kids and as a first-person child narrator, that "there was something indecent about a bald woman", and not only not be censored, but have schools require their students to read it. I'm pretty sure many people on these forums have read that book.

Political incorrectness is awesome, isn't it?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 10:33 am

HistoryGal wrote:
NTs don't have to be in your face mean to you.....they can hurt you in other ways.....subtleties.....you're just invisible.

Most of the time, NTs are very subtle at communicating that they dislike you. They practice passive aggressive behavior.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 11:03 am

Not at all. I've dealt with merely a handful of "annoying" people in my lifetime to begin with, and the way I see it, it makes no sense to scapegoat the entire NT population based on a few less-than-pleasant experiences.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 11:52 am

I doubt anybody is scapegoating. I think people are coping the best they can with life.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 6:43 am

I have a definite bias towards NDs and I prefer to ignore and avoid NTs. Absolutely. That comes from 43 years of poor treatment from NTs.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)