Page 3 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:36 am

put cardboard in the windows to block as much of the radiant heat as possible, closed blackout curtains, run the bathroom vent fan to reduce heat build-up near the ceiling of my poorly insulated tin can. a/c in both ends, fans both ends, mister to add back some humidity that the a/c units remove, also makes the air feel cooler. stay indoors as much as possible, do errands/yard tasks late night/wee hours of morning. wear abbreviated or no clothing. on a 106 degree day a while back, the a/c units couldn't keep up with the heat re-radiating inwards in my tin can and I couldn't get it cooler than about 86 [30 degree spread] inside, so I soaked and wrung out bath towels and draped myself in them. I would dip my head and hair in cold water every few minutes to cool my brain. when I had to go outside I use a cooling vest that uses phase change material [starch and alcohol mixture] that when it is refrigerated for a few hours, it maintains a 45 degree temperature for about 2 hours. I have two of them, one kept in the fridge at all times, swapped out each when the 2 hours is up. that saved my bacon when I hadda attend a family get together last 4th when it was 100 that day. the pretty young bikini'd things looked at me weird but at least I didn't get heat stroke [again]. to prevent night sweats, use a hospital-grade cooling blanket that circulates chilled [55 degrees] distilled water through coils in the blanket. it works.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 5:27 am

From where I live, "35°C" or so is 'normal'.
25°C is chilly. 20°C is cold. 15°C to me is very cold. :lol:

Anyway, coping with hot weather -- which in my case, coping with 42+°C humid high noon summers. :lol:

Keep hydrated, and drink a lot of water. Bring and use umbrellas. Have some sunscreen if you could afford to.
Move a lot if you would. Have some face towels in case of sweating. Use some talcum powder if you have no issues with it.
Clothing would be entirely up to you. And I don't know which fabrics would be good against heat and sweat.

Open the windows, but keep shades or put the curtain windows closed.
If you have an AC and an electric fan, you could put the electric fan on the front of the AC where the AC's wind blows. Face the fan upwards and towards the room, and let it rotate.
If the nights are too warm and you sleep only with blankets -- especially heavy blankets, get creative. Have a net like stretcher bed and put the fan under the bed if you have to.
Depending on your sensory needs and color/vision tolerance, change your lights with cooler colors if you have no real issues with it. Or anything that isn't on the range of reds and yellows.

At free times, go to the malls if you have a lot of tolerance for crowds and noises. Or hang around anywhere where it's cold.

I don't know any long term stuff against heat. :lol: Maybe except in a tropical climate country, live in a highland forest.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2018, 6:49 am

I slow down

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 6:52 am

It would be more tolerable if it weren't for the humidity. But I live in a place where hot weather is the norm.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 8:08 am

Chronos wrote:
hobojungle wrote:
I chew ice all day long. Not recommended by the American Dental Association as it cracks your teeth. :( Mother says my ice craving can be attributed to pica, a psychological disorder characterized by an appetite for non-nutritive substances. I’d really rather chew ice than eat most food.

Any unusual cravings should be investigated by a doctor.

Yes, an ice craving can be an indicator for iron deficiency anemia &/or malnutrition. I’ll bring it up to my medical provider at my next appointment. If I remember...

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2018, 9:14 am

Sit in front of a fan. I hate hot weather.

I miss snow :(

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 11:11 am

Today in the UK it has gone up to 35c and it has made me cranky and irritable.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:47 pm

I have an air conditioner in my bedroom window and I never leave it during the summer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 4:26 pm

drink ice cold stuff often.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2018, 5:04 pm

eat a bowl of ice (cold and satisfies sensory cravings) and turn on the fan

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 5:08 pm

restrict room lighting, for some strange reason dark "feels" "cooler" than bright.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 5:17 pm

Last night I slept on the couch with the AC on and a fan in front of me. Also the living room is fairly large, making it cooler than smaller enclosed rooms like my bedroom. But the couch is too uncomfortable for me to sleep well. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 5:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Last night I slept on the couch with the AC on and a fan in front of me. Also the living room is fairly large, making it cooler than smaller enclosed rooms like my bedroom. But the couch is too uncomfortable for me to sleep well. :(

what if you dragged your mattress into the living room?

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2018, 4:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
restrict room lighting, for some strange reason dark "feels" "cooler" than bright.

It does. If there is no sunlight to heat up the room it will eventually also be cooler.
Colour has a similar effect to heat sensitivity. Blue is the best and red the worst.

RAADS-R: 134

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 5:18 am

if you live in your own place [tin can or stick-built house] you can paint the roof with "snow roof" which reflects the bulk of sunlight away from the attic. radiant reflecting metal barrier in the attic will also help. whole house fans in the attic on each side will pump out the hot stagnant air, and can be set in the mornings/evenings to vent hot air from inside the living space as well. a fan-assisted outdoor cooling tower with aerosolized water spray cools the air and causes it to blow in downwards from the top, and via underground tunnels leading to the baseboards of the house, will add semi-passive cooling there as well. old fashioned houses from back in the day used thick walls with alternating layers of rock wool insulation or air gap and solid staggered stud framing to block out both outdoor heat/cold, and noise. "heat chimneys" were also situated in the center of the house to allow convection to vent hot air up through the roof, sometimes these are augmented with chimney vent fans [like a big version of your bathroom vent fan]. paint the southern exposure of the house white. what I've seen some tin can dwellers do, is to make a false roof or put a big tent over their tin can, at least on the southern exposure side, to block the direct sunlight. plant trees around the house as they both offer shade as well as augment natural convective air currents upwards.
did you know that in downtown phoenix AZ is a several hundred foot tall cooling tower that uses aerosolized water to lower the temperature at the base by up to 30 degrees F?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 10:18 am

I grew up in Kansas in an area that is classified as a grasslands desert. It was quite common to have summer days over 100 degrees F and occasionally some over 110 degrees F. The hottest day that I can remember was around 120 degrees F measured by a very accurate Bank thermometer sign. (My outside thermometer at the house was reading 118 degrees F.) It was hard to breath that day when you went outside. (That particular day had a small heat surge when the sun went down which contributed to the issue.) The catch to all of this is the low humidity that is typical in the area, usually in the 10-20% range most days. Because I grew up with this type of summer weather, hot days are usually easy to cope with. Just do not go outside unless you are prepared for it with plenty of drinking water and sun block.

Without the humidity issue, the air actually feels like the real temperature there. Moist air has small water droplets that absorb thermal energy and make the air feel much hotter than it really is. That is why certain humid areas of the USA can have heat warnings when it just reaches 95 degrees F, yet it has to get over 105 degrees F for a few days before Kansas usually issues one.

Kansas is a land of extremes. It sometimes gets very hot in the summer, it sometimes gets very cold (-20+ degrees F) in the winter, plus being in the middle of tornado alley (for storm watching fun). The locals have a saying "If you do not like the weather, just wait a few minutes. It will change.". The weather is just one reason why most people do not want to live there.