Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2018, 9:02 am

"Full-term neonates with jaundice are at greatly increased risk of later being diagnosed with a disorder of psychological development, a Danish study found.

Jaundiced newborns had an almost 90% higher likelihood of subsequently having any psychological developmental disorder compared with neonates without jaundice (HR 1.87, 95% Cl 1.58 to 2.21, P=0.001), according to Rikke Damkjaer Maimburg, PhD, of Aarhus University in Denmark, and colleagues.

Moreover, those born at term with jaundice had a 56% greater risk of the specific diagnosis of pervasive developmental disorder -- a disorder on the autism spectrum -- than those without jaundice (HR 1.56, 95% Cl to 2.30, P=0.028), the researchers reported in the November issue of Pediatrics."

I was born jaundiced a few days before my official predicted birth date. Do any of you know if you were born jaundiced and/or premature?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:03 am

Ooo ... yet another condition that is 'linked' to autism! :lol:

I'll be sure to add it to my list. :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2018, 9:07 am

Fnord wrote:
Ooo ... yet another condition that is 'linked' to autism! :lol:

I'll be sure to add it to my list. :roll:

I find it quite interesting to research and read about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:09 am

Neonatal jaundice is actually quite common, occurring in approximately 60% of full-term births, and 80% of premature births.

There is no way that 60% of the population is autistic.

It's nice to research and read about things----definitely better than not researching and reading about things.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:10 am

Olivia_H wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ooo ... yet another condition that is 'linked' to autism! I'll be sure to add it to my list.
I find it quite interesting to research and read about.
Well, of course it is interesting; but, like so many other 'studies', it relies heavily on correlation at the expense of determining causality with any measure of certainty.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2018, 9:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Neonatal jaundice is actually quite common, occurring in approximately 60% of full-term births, and 80% of premature births.

There is no way that 60% of the population is autistic.

Well, the study as reported by the OP spoke of the 90 or 56 percentage increase in likelihood of the various developmental disorders, not of the absolute percentage of likelihood of having the disorder. Even if it had been 100%, it would just be saying the likelihood would be double that of a person without neonatal jaundice. By no means negligible, if correct, but still only a doubling of a rather small probability.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:51 am

Right. The incidence of autism remains low under 100% increase conditions----say, a 1 in 17 incidence instead of a 1 in 35 incidence.

Of course, neonatal jaundice could be a contributing factor to future autism----or it could be part and parcel of whatever genetic disorder (or predisposition towards a disorder) which such a person acquired from birth.

What I'm saying is......is that if my baby acquires neonatal jaundice, I'm not going to worry too much about my baby acquiring autism.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2018, 10:05 am

FWIW I was born full-term and jaundiced. It would be interesting to see how many people on the forum were.

Correlation does not equal causation, but it's an interesting finding.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:10 am

Olivia_H wrote:
"Full-term neonates with jaundice are at greatly increased risk of later being diagnosed with a disorder of psychological development, a Danish study found.

Jaundiced newborns had an almost 90% higher likelihood of subsequently having any psychological developmental disorder compared with neonates without jaundice (HR 1.87, 95% Cl 1.58 to 2.21, P=0.001), according to Rikke Damkjaer Maimburg, PhD, of Aarhus University in Denmark, and colleagues.

Moreover, those born at term with jaundice had a 56% greater risk of the specific diagnosis of pervasive developmental disorder -- a disorder on the autism spectrum -- than those without jaundice (HR 1.56, 95% Cl to 2.30, P=0.028), the researchers reported in the November issue of Pediatrics."

I was born jaundiced a few days before my official predicted birth date. Do any of you know if you were born jaundiced and/or premature?

I was born with a liver condition called Gilbert's Syndrome which caused jaundice. I make too much bilirubin and still do. I was born a few days early and my mother's labour was induced. They knocked her out asleep for the whole labour except for the final pushes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:23 am

According to This Study from the National Institutes of Health, neonatal jaundice occurs in about 19% of all live births.

So, if Neonatal Jaundice causes Autism, then we should see roughly 1 in 5 people being autistic.

We don't.

So there.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:40 am

My jaundice was from the liver condition. I believe my autism is genetic from my dad and his dad and his dad....

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2018, 10:44 am

Fnord wrote:
According to This Study from the National Institutes of Health, neonatal jaundice occurs in about 19% of all live births.

So, if Neonatal Jaundice causes Autism, then we should see roughly 1 in 5 people being autistic.

We don't.

So there.

The articles I've read on the topic, including the chunk I posted in the original post only state an increased risk rather than jaundice CAUSING anything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:47 am

Olivia_H wrote:
Fnord wrote:
According to This Study from the National Institutes of Health, neonatal jaundice occurs in about 19% of all live births. So, if Neonatal Jaundice causes Autism, then we should see roughly 1 in 5 people being autistic. We don't. So there.
The articles I've read on the topic, including the chunk I posted in the original post only state an increased risk rather than jaundice CAUSING anything.
In that case...

:D

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:08 am

I was full term no Jaundice

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:24 am

I was premature and born with 2 kinds of jaundice...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:28 am

I was full-term, and born without jaundice.