Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 3:22 pm

Has anyone had any success using a gluten free/casein free diet to relieve Autistic symptoms (for those who see them as an issue)? I know a few people who it has worked for, including myself to some extent.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 4:00 pm

A family friend of ours has a son, who is also autistic, that she placed on a gluten/casein-free diet. Apparently, she reported success. I myself don't remember if I have ever been put on that diet, and I won't be anytime soon. I would practically starve to death if I were put on the diet since I drink a lot of milk and the majority of the food I eat contains gluten. I know that doctors don't usually recommend a gluten/casein-free diet because it's not backed up with enough evidence.

So basically, I've only heard rumors about a gluten/casein-free diet improving behavior, but I've never been on one.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 4:39 pm

From what I've researched it will only help in the case that there was a preexisting gluten sensitivity, and it helps simply because it is one less thing to deal with.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 7:23 pm

Celiac runs in my family.....my reason for gluten free....and I have to eat dairy sparingly.....

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

i tried going gluten free for a week because im in one of those high risk groups of getting celiac disease, but my body soon fought against it and in turn gave me side effects like weight loss (already underweight), massive headaches/migraines, feeling lethargic and weak. im screwed if i do ever get intolerant

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 8:23 am

Considering that less than 1 percent of all Americans have Celiac disease (3 million out of 325.7 million), and that roughly half of those people report relief from a gluten-free diet, it is amazing how vast the anti-gluten conspiracy has become.

What isn't so amazing is how many corporations are pitching foods as "Gluten Free" -- foods that never had any gluten to begin with -- in an effort to justify raising the prices of those food by as much as 300 percent!

Seeking relief from symptoms that are unrelated to gluten consumption makes perfect sense; however, the people that run the corporations that produce food know that there is a seeker born every minute... :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:02 am

I don't really see any difference.

http://www.glutenfreefoodallergyfest.co ... ients2.pdf
IDENTIFYING GLUTEN IN
COMMON ASIAN INGREDIENTS
Presented by
Laura B. Russell

A rice based diet can be gluten free. Rice is more convenient for me because I can easily cook small portions of rice in my automatic rice cooker. I buy really good rice at the Asian supermarket in medium sized bags.

I haven't found a really efficient way to eat a whole loaf of bread by myself. I have found an artisan bakery that sells really good grilled cheese sandwiches, but $10 lunches are a little pricey, even if I can afford them.

Learning to cook is an excellent way to experiment with different diets. Fresh seafood is gluten free, unless you cover it with flour. 8O

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:39 am

If you don't have celiac disease or a wheat allergy and a caseine allergy, things will likely not change for you. Diet doesn't relieve symptoms of autism.

I for example have allergies towards wheat, barley, oats, rye, spelt, alpha casein, albumine (egg whites), soy, certain vegetables, shellfish and most fish. I basically only eat meat, nuts and fruit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:43 am

Aniihya wrote:
If you don't have celiac disease or a wheat allergy and a caseine allergy, things will likely not change for you. Diet doesn't relieve symptoms of autism...
Ecce Veritas!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 11:11 pm

Yes, in combination with other dietary changes & supplements etc. I’m living a second, extremely high functioning, life for having made these changes.

According to medical stats, 70% of ASD cases are caused/exacerbated by gut dysbiosis, so, naturally it makes sense that changing one’s diet will make a difference in symptoms.

It has for me. YMMV.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2018, 5:36 am

My mind certainly clears up when I avoid both and sugar. I am usually a bit slow. When I am off of sugar and milk and wheat( I don’t eat at all if I do I do only say once a month anyway) I tend to be more active and the thought process in my head is faster.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.