We autisctics care deeply about people

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2018, 1:15 pm

Yeah, it's hard because I just have always felt the suffering of others. When I read a book on body language then I knew too much because people do seem unhappy to me. I so wish I could help the world. I have ideas, I have theories, equations even to try and make sense of myself and my fellow creatures. It's so hard to connect though, I feel lonely longing for a deep connection with another human being. I can't understand romance. My best bet is to talk with people on this forum, with those that have some understanding. Thank you for the nice responses so far.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 1:33 pm

I think it depends on the person. Some autistics care deeply about people and others don't. But yeah, I hate the stereotype that autistics aren't capable of caring about others. I can be very caring and empathetic.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 1:48 pm

True for me. It took a very long time for me to realize how I feel isn't what I project. Other people just see my slight processing delay, not knowing what to say, or freezing because of empathy overload and think I don't care when really the problem is that I care too much.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2018, 1:49 pm

Yes, because most on the spectrum are usually thought of as empaths but only by those that actually, truly understand them. If we were not and we're completely submerged in emotional apathy, that would essentially be akin to saying autism is equivalent to sociopathy which is not only deeply offensive but also entirely unfounded.

armandreyes

15 Aug 2018, 12:32 pm

Me too
I feel pity for everybody but they don't feel pity towards me

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm

I do care about the people I like, and will help them in any way possible.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 7:36 pm

People yes but also animals. So many members here feel deeply about the welfare of animals, empathize with wildlife, even with plants.

As others have pointed out though, this isn't universal with us, as it isn't universal with NTs.

I think many of us have had our lives saved by our animal companions. Definitely true for me.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 8:10 pm

I sensed the loving of nature and animals, who summoned me :mrgreen: