Ambidextrous but prefer left 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Ambidextrous but prefer right 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
Ambidextrous with no preference 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 45

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2018, 8:40 am

How many of you are left handed or ambidextrous?

I'm mostly left handed but I can write with my right hand if needs must. I also use both sides of my body quite equally in sports or other physical tasks.

From what I've read thus far, there seems to be a substantial concentration of left handers and ambidextrous people in the ASD community.

Last edited by Olivia_H on 16 Aug 2018, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 10:20 am

Olivia_H wrote:
How many of you are left handed or ambidextrous? ...
Why didn't you start a poll?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2018, 10:27 am

Fnord wrote:
Olivia_H wrote:
How many of you are left handed or ambidextrous? ...
Why didn't you start a poll?

Good idea.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 10:27 am

I'm right-handed------but seem to do some things better with the left side of my body.

Which indicates, perhaps, that I might have been "forced" to be right-handed at some point in my life. I'm certainly not sure of this, though.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2018, 2:32 pm

I'm almost definitely right handed but I often wonder if I could use my left hand if I just practiced. I feel like I may be able to play guitar lefty flip if I wanted to. I may have to try it some time.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 7:51 pm

I might've remained ambidextrous if it weren't for the upbringing of encouraging right handedness.

I remember having no hand preferences around kindergarten. No instinct on which hand to hold anything with. Just pick which hand is the nearest or doesn't feel like being lazy/tired, and do stuff with it.
And I also remembered being assisted on hand over hand, it's always on the right. Always handing the pencil or the scissors or the brush on my right when someone is handing it to me. Always giving me any thing to throw or do stuff with on the right whenever there's a demonstration on playing or doing tasks, it's always handled right. I remember them.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 8:29 pm

Right handed. I can't say for sure about early childhood, but I don't recall ever being anything other than very right-side dominant with hands or feet (physically too, in strength, limb lengths, shoe size, best vision.) I'm not a very symmetrical person!

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

I'm a lefty from birth. Fear my sinistralness!

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2018, 9:16 pm

Ambidextrous, though I guess I prefer my left in some situations but prefer the right in other situations.

For sports, the right side dominates such as golf or hockey or hitting in baseball, but I can golf, play hockey or hit left-handed.

Fielding in baseball depends on where I play. On the infield, it's right. In the outfield, I switch. I have a stronger throw with my left, but a more accurate with my right.

Writing is "chicken-scratchy" with either hand.

I think I may have slightly better fine motor skills with the right, but that's a pretty low bar.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 2:51 am

I work with both hands and try to make a point of using my left hand here and there as it's sometimes necessary due to physical space constraints. I'm not nearly as good with my left hand, but can use it okay, too. Well, depending on the task - some things I can do equally with both, others there's a difference or preference. I can switch hit in baseball, but my swings are different so it depends on the pitching style which way I'd swing. Hockey/golf left handed. Handwriting right handed & do most things with my right hand. So, I chose ambi w/ right hand preference.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:44 am

Left-handed, left-footed but right-eyed.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 7:43 am

right handed for the most part :p

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:05 am

I prefer left for fine motion and right for brute strength.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2018, 2:01 pm

BTDT wrote:

Huh, I've never considered that before. I've often pressed hard with my right hand but maybe my left hand is like a softer side or something of the sort. Out of curiousity if you don't mind me asking, do you happen to have dyspraxia?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 5:57 pm

I would consider myself ambidextrous with a preference for my left hand. I use my left hand to eat, write, and brush my teeth and hair. I open bottles and jars with my right hand. I can write and eat with my right hand if I need to, but I do better with my left hand. I can kick a ball with my left foot or my right foot, but my right foot is better.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:49 pm

Mythos wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Huh, I've never considered that before. I've often pressed hard with my right hand but maybe my left hand is like a softer side or something of the sort. Out of curiousity if you don't mind me asking, do you happen to have dyspraxia?

No, fortunately that is one thing I don't have. But, I have a lot of experience with brain plasticity to overcome coordination issues. I tend to be very awkward when first learning things, but have realized that I just have to push through that to get good at something.