The Wrong Planet Guide to Living Independently on the Autism Spectrum

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

CoronaTimes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2020, 7:00 pm

:D :D :D Excellent recount. I learned a lot from reading it and it affirmed other experiences that I have not paid attention to with my child who has ASD but who mentions those aspects to me. So thankyou. I learned something valuable. Congratulations on the greatness you are achieving through your studies and independent life. 8O 8O 8O

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 8:28 pm

Wonderful article. I agree that we need to keep pushing ourselves whether we like it or not. Things rarely are as bad as we imagine! I think back to when my youngest went to uni. I'm pretty sure we both have aspergers, although at the time I just thought I was broken and he needed university because he loved to learn. He was smart enough but had OCD, fussy eater, germ phobias - I thought it would be good for him. I never really treated my kids like kids so wasn't concerned about his age (not quite 18) and that the program he wanted was in a different city. First year he had his own room in a 4-man dorm and a meal card, and maybe $200/month to spend. I know it was difficult for him but he never complained. By the summer he would eat anything, even if it fell on the floor haha. He said guys were pigs but he didn't want to come home that summer. I got him an off-campus room and he took classes year round after that, finishing his physics degree early with specialties in astronomy and electronics. He wanted to get a masters so we researched and he decided to stay at same uni. I moved there and bought a place and asked him if he wanted to move in for free. He said yes right away, he just had to pay his own tuition and fun money. I am so glad I moved when I did! For almost 3 years I barely saw him and I must say he was a little wired. His leg never stopped, he had some strange ideas, binge drank. In a few months he was fine for the most part, and it sure was nice to have him around again! We aren't big talkers but we've always got along. He finished his masters in under 2 years but when doing his thesis he started going on about maybe travelling, then getting a job - he was stalling because real life is scary. He's in science uni paid him during his masters and he had savings. Well my good nature went downhill fast. I paid everything all these years and he was going on vacation when all I do is work or stay home (mind you the home thing would have happened anyway). I wasn't happy at all. I didn't do anything specific but he got the gist because he found a good job really fast and moved away. I knew he needed a push and it worked out really well. He has an amazing career now, and is well rounded (a special thanks to his live-in girlfriend). I always knew he'd be successful but I am surprised about how well he adjusts to change and how he self-directs. He swears it's easy to change the way you think. Me, I'm not so sure about that!

borispeters19
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2020, 8:13 am

Congrats, I think that this is a big step in your life