I'm NT and I like most bugs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm NT and I hate bugs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 11:12 am

Anyone know what this fellow is?

And as another note, how many of us like bugs?

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 11:19 am

It’s a moth? But you probably have a specific name in mind that I don’t know. :)

I don’t like earwigs, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies, houseflies, fruit flies, or bedbugs.

Other than those, I love bugs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 1:11 pm

I couldn’t vote. I dislike most bugs....but like some.

It seems like some sort of fly. I’m
not sure.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 1:37 pm

I don't know what that is, beyond that it's some sort of moth, of course. I love almost all arthropods, except I'm wary of wasps and centipedes, but as long as they leave me alone, all is well. I keep a lidded cup from a restaurant specifically for the purpose of catching and releasing the occasional wasp that gets into our house, and as long as the house centipedes keep their distance, I don't mind them staying in the basement, although something about the angle of their legs bothers me, and their speed makes me a bit worried that they may run onto me, and I only like arthropods on me if I invite them. But they eat insects and spiders, including the brown recluses that live in the area, so they are welcome to stay in the basement, as far as I'm concerned. Other centipedes I also treat with great caution because I read in a Hawai'i guidebook that centipede bites can feel like anything from a bad bee sting (house centipedes fall on this end) to a gunshot wound.

Arthropods were actually my very first special interest, and as such will always hold a special place in my heart. My parents say one of my first words was "caterpillar," and one of my earliest memories is of encouraging a spider to climb onto a book I was holding, so I could "hold" it without risking a bite.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2018, 2:00 pm

You need an option for 'might be autistic and I love bugs' lol

As for your moth, I'm only more familiar with UK species, but after a quick Google, it's possible it could be related to the three spot species.

I'm currently collecting caterpillars of many species to watch them transform :) and I hope to start breeding a particular species soon too (should I ever find more than one of a species :lol:

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

In the US you can often find out the species of a bug at insectidentification.org by geographic location and description.

I had this little guy pay a visit a short while ago and submitted a photo for positive ID. Turns out he's a Parthenice Tiger Moth... as pretty as some butterflies IMO.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

^Gorgeous, looks like stained glass.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 2:28 pm

Serpentine wrote:
In the US you can often find out the species of a bug at insectidentification.org by geographic location and description.

I had this little guy pay a visit a short while ago and submitted a photo for positive ID. Turns out he's a Parthenice Tiger Moth... as pretty as some butterflies IMO.

When I tried to search for it on that site, it said no results found. I have been looking for what it is since it emerged this morning with no luck at all.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 2:32 pm

Another angle :

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2018, 2:44 pm

Try emailing your photos and location to them at [email protected] for an ID. They might be able to find him for you.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 2:49 pm

I normally tolerate wolf spiders in my house. They are useful. Everything else I hate.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 3:03 pm

There was one time when I looked down, and had one of these on my foot (my mom's basement & garage has alot of them). I didnt particularly have a problem with this. It's not like it was doing anything (they are harmless).

Does that answer the question?

And yes, they really are that big. And FAST. Most centipedes dont move very quickly. But that sort... I'll put it this way, normally when I find a bug in the house I must catch it and take it outside. But there's no point trying that with those things. They seem to thrive in an indoor environment anyway, so... I guess there's no need?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

Serpentine wrote:
Try emailing your photos and location to them at [email protected] for an ID. They might be able to find him for you.

I'll give it a try.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

Misery wrote:

There was one time when I looked down, and had one of these on my foot (my mom's basement & garage has alot of them). I didnt particularly have a problem with this. It's not like it was doing anything (they are harmless).

And yes, they really are that big. And FAST. Most centipedes dont move very quickly. But that sort... I'll put it this way, normally when I find a bug in the house I must catch it and take it outside. But there's no point trying that with those things. They seem to thrive in an indoor environment anyway, so... I guess there's no need?

Wow that is cool

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 3:34 pm

Misery wrote:

Wow, that's a giant house centipede! Most of the ones I see are only 2-3 inches long, not including legs. Maybe they're only young ones.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 3:40 pm

My main pastime as a kid was turning stones over and counting insects. Today I saw this Sabre Wasp, it was about 2 inches long.Image