Time perception/keeping time - who’s tried what? Metronome?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 2:32 pm

Def one of my biggest deficits is time perception. I get lost in details & a time warp far too often and it makes me unreasonably slow at my job at times.

I don’t particularly want to do something like take Dexedrine to speed along and would rather try out technological solutions for time keeping/time perception. (In addition to being stricter on diet and exercise again that I know help me move swifter - when I’m on track going for 7km runs 1-3x/wk I tend to move swifter in daily life - possibly due to lingering affects of increased dopamine etc.)

At one point several years ago when my time perception was about The Worst ever I wore a wrist watch with 5 alarms on it to remind me to do certain things daily. I could also set multiple alarms on my phone - but my hands are often too dirty to use a touch screen during work so that’s not a good solution. The alarm would go off and then just ring and ring and I know it because when I do set alarms for things that tends to happen; my hands are too dirty to want to touch or be able to use my phone screen.

Soo, I’ve been wondering if a metronome might be of assistance. I know they’re meant to keep rhythm - usually for musicians, but I recall also using some in high school gym class to keep time for doing sit-ups. I’m not SURE it a metronome would help me with time perception while working or not tbh - but I want to find out And I’m curious if anyone else has tried it?? Music sometimes helps to an extent, like sometimes I’ll notice that a song or two have passed - but more often than not it’s just pleasant background noise. Plus on MOST job sites we’re not allowed to have radios or headphones, but can often get away with Bluetooth headphones.

Annnyways, I’ve seen this product advertised and have been wondering if it might help give me a better sense of time passing while working. It’s a wearable metronome that can be silent/vibration only - and hidden. Might give me a sense of time perception And physically working to a rhythm vs getting caught up in some detail or another and spending more time on it than it’s with.

In an ideal world it’d be something like -click- *loading stroke left* -click- *loading stroke right* -click- *feather left* -click- *feather right* -click- *finish left* -click- *finish right* -click- *finish centre* and move on. 6 -clicks- consistently as I work my trowel on a wall/ceiling joint vs getting caught up on micro details no one else can see or cares about And that 95%+ of would be taken care of on the second coat and any last details by a painter.

Here’s the wearable metronome:

Hmmmm, I bet if I check the App Store I can download a free metronome to go -click- -click- -click- for me the next time I finish a room/house before I drop $129+ tax on this thing to have a wearable discreet one. I’m gonna look and try it before maybe buying this thing.

Curious if anyone else has tried using a metronome for time perception for repetitive work tasks? Or, any other device (low or high tech don’t care - simpler the better tbh) to help with time perception and ensuring you get work done in a timely manner? I’m open to any & all suggestions as I’m sure there are things I haven’t thought of or have never even heard of before. :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 2:57 pm

Listen to grindcore or gabber while you work. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 4:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

No idea what those are.

I’m assuming fast paced music.

I never download music ever and don’t own Bluetooth headphones And music is not always an option seeing as it’s against safety rules & regs - hence considering trying out a metronome for rhythm and possibly a silent wearable one.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 4:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

No idea what those are.

I’m assuming fast paced music.

I never download music ever and don’t own Bluetooth headphones And music is not always an option seeing as it’s against safety rules & regs - hence considering trying out a metronome for rhythm and possibly a silent wearable one.

Yeah, both tend to be really high tempo. When I'm hyper that's the pace I want to receive stimuli/try to work at.

I'd expect if music doesn't work that a metronome might not either. If you get so absorbed into tasks that you lose track of outside stimuli it would make sense that the metronome will be filtered out just like the music.

Try an app first and see if it works, it can't hurt.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 5:35 pm

A watch ...! , pay attention to it. If it has a chime function would be better , a lot a certain amount of time to whatever function or activity you are performing. Stick to your segments of time religiously. Then move onto the next , if you do not finish something assign another time segment to it , must pay attention to your watch and segments .
This method helped me alot growing up . It can force you to avoid distractions , unless you consider looking at your watch a distraction .

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 8:36 pm

Hmm. It’s been so many years since I’ve worn a wrist watch I’ve literally forgotten if it might help me keep time by using it as simply as you describe. Maybe.

Don’t really care for wearing any jewelry almost ever and if I Need to know the time or set an alarm for something I just pull my phone out of my pocket.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 6:37 am

A clock with chimes on the quarter hours might help. When I'm watering my plants, I do a breathing meditation to time the soakings. When I'm making a sandwich, I know that I can chop an onion before the toast burns, etc.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 10:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
A clock with chimes on the quarter hours might help. When I'm watering my plants, I do a breathing meditation to time the soakings. When I'm making a sandwich, I know that I can chop an onion before the toast burns, etc.

If you. Get a old style clock face watch you can see the segments in minutes. Usually I give things 15 min segments when I was more active , so it was easy to assign , 1/4 hour or 1/2 hour or more for things I am tasking myself to
Get done .... watching the watch , when you assign yourself a task , often help me stay away from distractions. Or add extra time just in case of possible distractions . Just a thought. Is all .

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 3:07 pm

I tried tracking my sense of time.
By half an hour, by an hour, by 6 hours, and by specific times (usually 5PM)

... Not that in order nor all at the same time. :lol:

Most at the time, it bothers me until I start ignoring it.
Then disregarding it altogether, defeating any purpose of attempting to track time.

Because there's no real sense of routines here -- especially at home, I couldn't practice it because of ever changing interferences, intrusions and nonsensical timings.

Barely had any sense of consistent schedule at work and outside home.

Let alone ever followed anything punctually.
Unless and unless I alone own a space without a chance of interference and intrusion -- which isn't and I cannot afford demanding that to myself and anyone else either.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 6:44 pm

Lol ignoring it forever isn’t an option for me.

The thing with a wrist watch is it may be all too easy to not check it for a while and then just have it as a confirmation that I just wasted some time. If it had a chime that went off every minute or maybe 5 then that might be different - hard to ignore that another interval has passed. But that could also either get annoying or be tuned out. Hmm.

The thing with a metronome is that with a consistent real time pulse I’d Know that time was passing w/o having to glance at a watch And it might keep me physically moving along at a good set pace.

I’m gonna try it out with a wrist watch and maybe a downloadable metronome app and see if one, the other, or both work. Hmm, might even just do it at home in a “mock work,” scenario seeing as I’m not actually on a job site right now.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 2:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:

The thing with a wrist watch is it may be all too easy to not check it for a while and then just have it as a confirmation that I just wasted some time. If it had a chime that went off every minute or maybe 5 then that might be different - hard to ignore that another interval has passed. But that could also either get annoying or be tuned out. Hmm.

The thing with a metronome is that with a consistent real time pulse I’d Know that time was passing w/o having to glance at a watch And it might keep me physically moving along at a good set pace.

I’m gonna try it out with a wrist watch and maybe a downloadable metronome app and see if one, the other, or both work. Hmm, might even just do it at home in a “mock work,” scenario seeing as I’m not actually on a job site right now.

Yes that was something , I meant to add , this works better if your watch has a setting to make some sound on the time segments that you designate and works better in actual activity, I had found

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 12:45 pm

Any recommendations of a wrist watch with an interval chime that can be set for every X minutes vs only on the hour?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 12:47 pm

Many digital wristwatches have this feature.

All smartphones have this feature.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 4:54 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Notifications, overtime, would just annoy the hell out of me.

At best, right before doing a task, I'd set up a time limit of sorts. A good 15-20 mins.

Then see if there's something is bugging my mind -- if I do, I'd give myself 5-10 mins to get over it. Then go back to whatever I should do, set another 15-20 mins.

My main issue is that I can't do that consistently.
I'd always forget to set up any time limit before hand. Couldn't seem to build the habit.
... Except I'm referring to times that I got no reliable gadgets to press a hotkey to set up 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 mins.

... Also I still don't know which senses are reliable for me to work around sense of time with.
Definitely not visual, not auditory, not even tactile, not through spaces.
Sometimes I wonder myself if there is such thing as a smell alarm. :lol:

There's another ways of tracking time, but it's not as reliable or as orderly as putting regular alarms in any watch or clock.

:lol: The room temperature, humidity and sunlight.
Other people's routines and behaviors. Chances and circumstances along the way.
Your body and it's reactions.
Music, too, works, if you know the music well and how to get away with it.

If you know how to track them, you'd get a beautiful flexible pattern depending how order is defined around you, and how mindful you are about it.

But considering how superfocus works, it can either be useless or painful. :o

The last detail would be that I live in a polychronic world.
Monochronic means can easily be thrown out of the window. :(

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 1:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many digital wristwatches have this feature.

All smartphones have this feature.

Where?

There are alarms that can be set but I’ve never noticed a clock feature where you can turn a chime on to dig every X units of time.

I have an iPhone 6.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 1:55 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Notifications, overtime, would just annoy the hell out of me.

At best, right before doing a task, I'd set up a time limit of sorts. A good 15-20 mins.

Then see if there's something is bugging my mind -- if I do, I'd give myself 5-10 mins to get over it. Then go back to whatever I should do, set another 15-20 mins.

My main issue is that I can't do that consistently.
I'd always forget to set up any time limit before hand. Couldn't seem to build the habit.
... Except I'm referring to times that I got no reliable gadgets to press a hotkey to set up 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 mins.

... Also I still don't know which senses are reliable for me to work around sense of time with.
Definitely not visual, not auditory, not even tactile, not through spaces.
Sometimes I wonder myself if there is such thing as a smell alarm. :lol:

There's another ways of tracking time, but it's not as reliable or as orderly as putting regular alarms in any watch or clock.

:lol: The room temperature, humidity and sunlight.
Other people's routines and behaviors. Chances and circumstances along the way.
Your body and it's reactions.
Music, too, works, if you know the music well and how to get away with it.

If you know how to track them, you'd get a beautiful flexible pattern depending how order is defined around you, and how mindful you are about it.

But considering how superfocus works, it can either be useless or painful. :o

The last detail would be that I live in a polychronic world.
Monochronic means can easily be thrown out of the window. :(

These sorts of macro time keeping ideas are only really useful for puttering around the house getting a few things done in a day, not so much for the micro scale of making sure I don’t get lost in a time warp during work and spend too much time hyper focused in on details No One But Me will ever notice.

That’s why I’m thinking that maybe an audible chime every X minutes might help, or real time pulse of that wearable metronome. Something frequent vs just looking out the window realizing day has turned to night lol as I need to be made aware how much time is passing in real time so I don’t waste time.. not realize too late that I’ve let 40 minutes slip by performing a task that should take less than 10mins.