Is there a way to improve hypersensitivity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Trunksette
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2018, 6:07 am

I have really big problems with food and I have all my life, and it's a combination of taste, smell, and texture sensitivities. I have a very limited diet and it seriously impacts my quality of life. Almost all foods make me sick, even just smelling them. When I was younger and at a friends house I would just wait in their room during dinner because I was too embarrassed to sit at the table and eat nothing.

Now I don't go out with friends to eat because I'm embarrassed that their options are limited because of me. I won't order food at a restaurant for myself because I'm so embarrassed that the food I eat is so plain and I never get anything different.

I'm always trying new things, if the smell doesn't scare me away and my friend says "Try this!" I will, but it always leaves me gagging.

I don't like flavors that are too "intense" but for me that's almost anything, and I don't like too many flavors mixed together, usually three is my limit I don't even eat sandwiches because of this. I won't eat anything to squishy either, not even bread most of the time, if I have bread it needs to be toasted.

I have improved a little bit, though. I used to not eat eggs because to me the flavor was too strong and so was the smell, I like them now though. Then there are other foods I used to eat all the time but now I can't anymore because I ate too much of it. It's like one step forward and one step back.

I remember reading something in a book that there are treatments for autistic people with food sensitivities, I'm not diagnosed yet so I don't have access to resources but has anyone had therapy or done things that have helped with this? I'm worried that this is seriously impacting my health, I'm only 21 so it isn't so bad now but it will only get worse.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:59 pm

Drugs

Aversion therapy

Some articles claim that when someone eats ice cream before chemotherapy, they stop liking ice cream

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 8:37 pm

Food aversion or being a picky eater can affect your health over the long term. So it is important for you to supplement your diet with vitamins/minerals. So I would recommend that you take at least one multivitamin each day. Also it is important to track your daily protein intake. Generally an adult should consume between 75-90 gram of protein each day. So start logging your protein intake for a couple days so that you can know if you are meeting this requirement.

Protein is extremely important to the body because it builds, repairs and maintains tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein calorie malnutrition (PCM). Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, hair loss and muscle wasting. If your protein intake is too low, you may need to resolve this by consuming protein shakes each day as a supplement to make up the deficiency.

As far as therapy to improve hypersensitivity, I would recommend Somatic Experiencing therapy. Hypersensitivity is a stress related condition. It is often seen in herd animals when they are separated from the herd when young. It produces a underlying trauma event that needs to be resolved.