Another verbal fight today. I will not back down on this.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

P_James_Moriarty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2018, 12:29 am

Someone today made the mistake of telling me that I "have Apserger's". I had to, once again, try to explain that I do not "have" ASD, I am an ASD. To say that I have ASD implies that ASD is a disease to be treated or cured. Saying that I have ASD is exactly the same as me going up to anyone, worldwide, and saying "I've heard that there are some good medicines out there and some promising gene therapies in r&d to cure you of that skin color". Both are genetic in nature and an integral part of what makes me me. It is every bit as offensive to me that I am being lumped in with the diseased and sick as it is to people of color, or not, to be told that their skin color is not acceptable and needs to be "cured". Further, it's rather disturbing to me that society at large, supported by medical science, would find it easier to try to modify who and what I am to make me more acceptable to them, than it would be for society to be a little more understanding or tolerant of neuro-diversity. :x :x :x Discrimination is what it is no matter which direction it cuts. /rant

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 1:11 am

P_James_Moriarty wrote:
Someone today made the mistake of telling me that I "have Apserger's". I had to, once again, try to explain that I do not "have" ASD, I am an ASD. To say that I have ASD implies that ASD is a disease to be treated or cured. Saying that I have ASD is exactly the same as me going up to anyone, worldwide, and saying "I've heard that there are some good medicines out there and some promising gene therapies in r&d to cure you of that skin color". Both are genetic in nature and an integral part of what makes me me. It is every bit as offensive to me that I am being lumped in with the diseased and sick as it is to people of color, or not, to be told that their skin color is not acceptable and needs to be "cured". Further, it's rather disturbing to me that society at large, supported by medical science, would find it easier to try to modify who and what I am to make me more acceptable to them, than it would be for society to be a little more understanding or tolerant of neuro-diversity. :x :x :x Discrimination is what it is no matter which direction it cuts. /rant

When these language police try to correct me (usually the reason is some variation of “autistic” is offensive) I tell them I have 60 years more experience being autistic then they do so I get to decide what is offensive to me and how I self identify.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

P_James_Moriarty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2018, 1:51 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
P_James_Moriarty wrote:

When these language police try to correct me (usually the reason is some variation of “autistic” is offensive) I tell them I have 60 years more experience being autistic then they do so I get to decide what is offensive to me and how I self identify.

I'm not sure I understand who you mean by "they". In this case I'm being the language police, so I assume it's me. I don't care if folks call me Asperger's, ASD, or a horse's backside. All of the above would be true. But something you have is something you can get rid of. Something you are (genetically) is not. It's not a matter of how I self-identify.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 2:37 am

I am of the 'I am' rather than 'I have' way of thinking too. Most people will begin with 'you have' out of ignorance

rather than to cause offence and we are all ignorant over things we are not familiar with. Explain the difference

politely, you may need to remind them once or twice but in the end, as ASPartofMe said, we're old enough to define

ourselves. It's rude to contradict someone when they are talking about themselves anyway.

P_James_Moriarty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2018, 2:58 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
I am of the 'I am' rather than 'I have' way of thinking too. Most people will begin with 'you have' out of ignorance

rather than to cause offence and we are all ignorant over things we are not familiar with. Explain the difference

politely, you may need to remind them once or twice but in the end, as ASPartofMe said, we're old enough to define

ourselves. It's rude to contradict someone when they are talking about themselves anyway.

Just so. The way I'm looking at it is that to fight the discrimination ASD folks (such as myself) get ad nausium is to not perpetuate the ignorance by implying it is what it is not.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 3:31 am

Thank you for posting this. At my job, we're constantly told to say things like, "Individual with autism," instead of "autistic person." They worry we will define someone by their autism too much, even though that's what the entire field seems to do, anyway. I agree that, for me, saying you have autism sounds kind of silly. Or at least that the difference can be somewhat trivial--does anyone care if you say they're blue-eyed versus having blue eyes? It's nice to see what some autistic people say about this, since the professionals I work with seem to be basing their view entirely on their own thoughts rather than interviewing actual autistic people.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 4:33 am

"I have an Autism Spectrum Disorder."

"I am an Autism Spectrum Disorder."

Nope, does not seem to compute.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 4:56 am

I always say "I have ASD".

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 5:13 am

I am autistic, and I have ASD.

"I am Autism Spectrum Disorder" sounds a bit silly to me.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 5:37 am

So, someone with OCD, for example, should say "I am an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"?
"I am an Attention Deficit Disorder"?
"I am a Bipolar Disorder"?

Help me out.
Like someone else said, it doesn't compute.
Grammatically, even.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 5:53 am

P_James_Moriarty wrote:

I agree with you 100% my friend. I am also of the opinion that's when NTs refer to us ASDS as having a communicable disease or some sort of neurolytic pathogen that is spread like the Black Plague, it vexes me terribly.

Alas, there is so little education about Autism and how it affects the human body that most simply assume that it's something like a cold that we caught from someone else.

And regardless of what pronouns or syntax is used to describe our condition the fact remains, and your point is well taken P_James_Moriarty, that people believe that Autism is infectious in nature and we should be quarantined from the rest of society and of course this is rediculous.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 6:21 am

Raleigh wrote:
So, someone with OCD, for example, should say "I am an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"?

A person should say when describing themselves whatever they feel most comfortable with. I would say 'I am

obsessive' or 'I am OCD' (it's very rarely said in full here). In the past I have described myself as suffering from

obsessive behavour but the way I feel about myself and my behavour has changed and therefor so has my language.

I accept it all as a part of the whole, not the whole, but very much a part of it.
Raleigh wrote:
"I am an Attention Deficit Disorder"?
"I am a Bipolar Disorder"?

Help me out.
Like someone else said, it doesn't compute.
Grammatically, even.
I don't have ADD or PD so I don't know.

Grammatically wrong? :tongue:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 6:27 am

^ thanks, fluffy.

what is concerning in this thread is that:

Quote:
Saying that I have ASD is exactly the same as me going up to anyone, worldwide, and saying "I've heard that there are some good medicines out there and some promising gene therapies in r&d to cure you of that skin color"

If in doubt
Maybe don't speak to anyone, ever. :|

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 6:55 am

Raleigh wrote:
^ thanks, fluffy.

what is concerning in this thread is that:

Quote:
Saying that I have ASD is exactly the same as me going up to anyone, worldwide, and saying "I've heard that there are some good medicines out there and some promising gene therapies in r&d to cure you of that skin color"

If in doubt
Maybe don't speak to anyone, ever. :|

I think the OP is using it as an example of how upsetting he finds someone saying he has Asperger's. It's probably

not a good example to use in conversation though because people only seem to pick up one word in three and could

easily misunderstand. Good point. Maybe also the make it clearer in the post that these are not the OP's views.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 6:58 am

fluffysaurus wrote:

I agree, as I'm autistic, not autism is some viral contageon