Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 11:50 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
It has no friends at all.

Not even you? I really hope your Teddy Bear at least has you for a friend.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 2:14 am

I don't have a teddy bear although I do have,

A Red Squirrel who seems to be obsessed with the front door
A Eurasian Otter who is obsessed with the squirrel (which could be bad news for the squirrel)
A lion (called Lionel) and a Border Collie who are obsessed with looking into each others eyes
A Grey Seal who is obsessed about snuggling up beside the previous pair
A ginger cat who was obsessed with lying upside down down the back of a cupboard in the spare room (now rectified, though I'll have to wait a while to check its new obsession)
A Red Fox who is obsessed with some unknown thing that can be seen from the bedroom window
A small generic dog that is obsessed with sitting on the stairs where it can keep a watchful eye on the lounge
A Hedgehog - current location unknown so I am unable to check whether it is obsessed by anything - maybe it is hibernating already.

All of them just stare endlessly, have lousy communication skills, even worse than me, and all suffer from a very flat affect, again even worse than me. However, as far as I know none of them are diagnosed with anything.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 3:32 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:

I can't really be its "friend". (I am myself not a teddy bear and we are not the same generation)
I wish it was hanging out with other teddy bears of its age.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:31 pm

My teddy bear is more of a plush pea. He's a candy eating Sweet Pea and his name is Om Nom. He's autistic and mostly non-verbal for the most part.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:41 pm

...Awwww :D :) :lol: 8) .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 7:52 am

Umm ... an inanimate object having autism??? How does that happen???

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 10:13 am

green0star wrote:

Research shows that autists often ascribe personalities to their inanimate objects. If a simulacrum is seen to be autistic, the autists enjoy their company.

Improving autistic imagination is a good thing.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 10:33 am

^^^Really? I did not know. I personally never ascribe personalities to inanimate objects. However making this joke is indeed the result of an attempt to increase my poor imagination. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 10:39 am

My teddy bear is NT.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 11:47 am

AspieUtah wrote:
green0star wrote:

Research shows that autists often ascribe personalities to their inanimate objects. If a simulacrum is seen to be autistic, the autists enjoy their company.

Lack of imagination is not an autistic trait.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 12:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
green0star wrote:

It is. You might have heard about Theory of Mind?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 12:11 pm

I'd say all my dolls and stuffed animals are autistic, but they don't seem to mind being lined up or put in groups with no space or privacy, and if I decide to move them around or display them somewhere else they're not stressed out by the sudden change.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 1:27 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
green0star wrote:

It is. You might have heard about Theory of Mind?

well, AspieUtah,
...you read Autists would typically have no imagination
… and you read they would typically ascribe personalities to inanimate objects

both do not go together, it doesn't make sense. There must be something wrong in the researches you read (that happens)
(also lots of NT children give a name to their teddy bear... "typically autistic"? not sure.)

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 22 Sep 2018, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 1:55 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:

I can't really be its "friend". (I am myself not a teddy bear and we are not the same generation)

Perhaps, in a strange way, your teddy bear somehow makes you more neurotypical. This sounds like something an NT might say.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 1:59 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
well, AspieUtah,
...you say Autists would typically have no imagination
… and you say they would typically ascribe personalities to inanimate objects

both do not go together, it doesn't make sense. There must be something wrong in the researches you read (that happens)
(also lots of NT children give a name to their teddy bear... "typically autistic"? not sure.)

You have to be careful with the definition of "imagination." If we're talking fantasy world and play time, I think many Aspies bury themselves in imagination, especially as children.

But I believe AspieUtah is talking about social imagination, i.e. theorizing and predicting how other people will presumably most likely behave with a high degree of accuracy. NTs naturally have this form of (social) imagination. Aspies, by definition, do not.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:

Perhaps, in a strange way, your teddy bear somehow makes you more neurotypical. This sounds like something an NT might say.

:)
Something like that indeed, maybe I diagnose my teddy bear as autistic, so that I can play NT with it, what I am doing (half unconsciously) in my sentence you highlight above.

The thing is, I don't "want" to be autistic, maybe this is an attempt to transfer the autism to … my teddy bear.

thanks for highlighting this