Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 1:49 am

I don't think I was ever terribly fond of elevators, but last year I had a really bad experience in one that has left me rather anxious about using them in the future. I was flying alone to another country for my work. I was supposed to meet up with another co-worker in the airport, but she was on a different flight that ended up being canceled due to weather. Unfortunately, as I was in the air, it also became clear that I was coming down with some kind of fever. Anyway, I managed to wrestle two giant trunks of equipment into a cab and I got to the hotel. I was thinking I'd just drop the stuff off, have a bite to eat, and go to sleep. Because my room was on the 7th floor, and my bags were so large, I opted to take the elevator. Well, wouldn't you know, it was one of those tiny ones with room for maybe two people standing. I hauled the trunks in, closed the door, and pressed my floor. I had been going up for maybe 20 seconds when all of a sudden everything went dark, and to my horror, I felt the elevator begin to free-fall under my feet for about one second before a catch latched in and I stopped. I was still in the dark, but wasn't falling anymore. I'm not sure how long I was like that, because my cell phone was dead and all of the emergency buttons on the elevator weren't working. Every now and again I'd hear faint voices outside so I tried to yell for help in Spanish (since this was a Spanish speaking country), but no one responded that I could tell. Every now and then the lights would come back on, the elevator would go up a bit more, then they'd go out again and I would plummet a few more feet in the dark. Finally, I had fallen all the way back to the ground floor, because I could hear the sounds of the lobby. I forced the doors open and got free. Apparently the construction work next door had accidentally hit a power line to the building, and that's why there was intermittent power. I ended up lugging the trunks up 7 stories by hand with a fever over going into that elevator again.

That was about a year ago. Since then I have trouble entering small or old elevators. When I do, it's really hard to resist jumping at every little bump, or bracing for a fall when it dips a little. I don't know if this qualifies as elevator PTSD, but I hope it goes away.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2018, 7:17 am

Oh dear. That experience would have me taking the stairs too.

I've always been a little nervous about elevators just because you're shooting up or down in a little box prone to mechanical problems ranging from frightening to potentially catastrophic. That and the little dips and lurches when it takes off or stops. Those motions really bother me.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

Oh my, that sounds awful. I seriously hope the hotel compensated you for your distress.

It is hit or miss with me and elevators. As long as ascent or descent is smooth and slow, I'll be okay. If not, then the motion can throw off my senses somewhat. The lighting in those things can be a problem too, especially if it is florescent.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 6:46 pm

Fern, that sounds like a horrifying experience. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Of course, after such an experience, it leaves a mark on you. Over time, it will get better hopefully. Try not to worry about it too much, it's completely normal.

I have been stuck in an elevator myself a short time. It's intense.

Hope it gets better in the future for you.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:27 pm

What a nightmare.

I hate elevators, I don't like the feeling of my guts coming back up my throat. I only take them when I have to.

Besides, stairs are good exercise.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2018, 4:59 pm

I don't take elevators if possible. They're too darn slow:

*Waiting for the elevator is boring
*Waiting on the elevator while it's going to where it's going is boring
*Waiting while the elevator stops to pickup/dropoff people is boring

Stairs are faster and better exercise.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:01 am

Elevators are the best thing ever! Especially glass ones!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2018, 4:43 pm

I def would of been freaking out if it happened to me. it's perfectly understandable why you'd be scared after that. My grandma always takes the stairs when she can because she's alittle prone to motion sickness & elevators can mess with her. I feel a tad queasy in elevators but they don't really bother me otherwise.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2018, 6:51 pm

I'm OK with elevators.

Except the one at work, I hated that one. You could open the doors while it was moving. I'm pretty sure that's not suppose to happen.