Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 12:46 pm

Does anyone else flap a hand or a sheet of paper next to their ear to listen to the sound? Or rustle with something near their ear? Or click their fingers or put their ear to a chime?

When I pick up a sheet of paper or a card at school, I start to do that. I usually remember to stop quite soon. Well, at least nobody has noticed yet, I think.

What's funny is that I noticed another special ed student does this too. I didn't know it was something unusual to seek out sounds like that until now.

So anyone here doing the same?

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 2:03 pm

Now that you mention it, I do recall doing things like that. But I have so many things like that, across the board, all of the senses, that they don't stand out much any more. I will try to put certain colors or lights before my eyes without realizing it sometimes, try and make different sounds, sniff my food (always have to sniff the picante sauce when I open it, it's got such a sharp tangy smell), touch my face, wiggle my nose, raise my eyebrows, on and on and on. When I'm at home, anyway. I also usually am trying to even something out, a sensation, sight or smell or sound, that I got on one side of my face or body. More face than body for some reason. It bugs me if one eyes stings a little, and not the other. Air stings my eyes (it may just be California air) so that happens a lot.

Back to sound... I rub my fingers together by my ears (or sometimes not by the ears by just make the noises), and other sounds I can make with my fingers, that I know for sure. I can't think of any others now, but I will be noticing them for sure now that you've brought it up!

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

frequently
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2009, 2:57 pm

yes i did lost of different things, many things
now i listen to my watch when i am stressed, it's a beautiful sounding watch

Stephen C. Leber
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

I know this post is about a decade old, but I don't care. It is highly relevant to my research.

I often create what I call 'Sound Shields' to help me operate throughout my environment, primary at home. What I mean by this is that I'll have either music or a video playing in the background while I quietly move about. This is to help me feel comfortable, but also to reassure me that I can move without detection. I am quite paranoid about this and I feel slightly relieved if the refrigerator is loud or a have a fan going.

What's funny is I used to demand silence wherever I work, but now it is quite the opposite.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:13 pm

If ambient noise is getting to me, I generally use ear buds and an MP3 player with binaural Theta waves. Even if brainwave entrainment doesn't work as advertised, the white noise takes the edge off of a lot of it.
In extremis I'll put a set of hard plastic hearing protectors over the ear buds.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2018, 9:56 am

I often put a cup to my ear in social situations to feel safer or because I like doing that.