Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm

...to The Mighty social media web site <https://themighty.com/> where autism has its own very popular forum with various topics to discuss (without the anger and fighting; yes, there are discussions, but not arguments ad infinitum), as well as related and generalized articles (for autists and others with different conditions, too).

And, it publishes weekly newsletters targeted around the information each user chooses!

As an "#actuallyautistic adult," I am encouraged to improve knowledge of autism among young families who are new to the spectrum. My transition is open-ended, and, for the foreseeable future, I will be doing double duty in a sense.

The security at The Mighty appears significant. So, that is a plus. I don't know if Alex ever received or agreed with my advice to encourage him to create a Wrong Planet account with The Mighty to better integrate both audiences. So, perhaps it exists, and I simply haven't tripped over it yet. [EDIT: He hasn't, but dozens of other autistic groups have.]

I simply can't afford another hack (URL-redirect or otherwise) at Wrong Planet. And, I need to be able to trust all my chosen sites.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:38 pm

I will miss you but I am confident you will be an asset to that forum.

I do not know if you intended it that way but when I saw the title of the thread I thought you were transitioning to a woman.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Oct 2018, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Not gone yet.... :D

And, who knows, maybe improvements will be made quickly allowing me to stick around when I can.

Or, you and others could join TheMighty.com. Just a suggestion.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I do not know if you intended it that way but when I saw the title of the thread I thought you were transitioning to a woman.

That's what I thought too.

Hope you stick around AspieUtah.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:27 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I would like to do so, but the security measures at TheMighty.com are so simple and yet sophisticated, I plan on making it my digital home even if I visit WrongPlanet.net sometimes.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:31 pm

I went and had a look at The Mighty site and it reminded me of the other autism sites I visited before I came

here except that it was nicer. I know WP isn't perfect but I find the layout usable whereas the others confuse me.

Also it felt less autistic, sorry, I can't think of how to explain that better.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:41 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
I went and had a look at The Mighty site and it reminded me of the other autism sites I visited before I came

here except that it was nicer. I know WP isn't perfect but I find the layout usable whereas the others confuse me.

Also it felt less autistic, sorry, I can't think of how to explain that better.

Getting familiar with the site layout took me a couple hours today in creating my account and playing around with it. Now that I know "where all the buttons are located," I am actually improving my security and accommodations. While WrongPlanet.net is "limited" in its SSL features, TheMighty.com enjoys SSL coverage throughout.

Yes, The Mighty includes many conditions beyond autism, but sees autism as its primary condition. I actually like that feature. I can include all, some or none of my other diagnoses; which I have done for now until I see a need to get too detailed.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 4:54 pm

Meh. I'm not a fan of social media.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:11 pm

Moderators please move this thread to the traitor section :P

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Moderators please move this thread to the traitor section :P

Hehe!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

Well I do software QA in my sleep & email Alex about these things. The only reason any such things are ever fixable is that admins & developers are more patient with technology than you're being. My solution to averting hacks is to simply use an operating system that's irrelevant to said hack(s).

I'm an obsessive techie whom you won't see over there, because I appreciate the simplicity here. I don't think everything has to act like Facebook to be a well designed site. I'm also not saying a whole lot of fancy design went into either site, I just like the relative madness of a board, any kind.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:56 pm

I thought you were transitioning to a woman too! Only commenting to say that I like this BB format.

AQ 40
ASD-1

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:53 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I thought the same thing as well.

I also hope you stay.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2018, 11:03 pm

Themighty isn't bad.

I do like reading some of the articles that are posted, mostly around depression and anxiety.

It's a different perspective, that site and this one are unique in their own way and that is what is positive about each one, they're not the same.

It's entirely feasible to be present on both.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 8:57 am

cberg wrote:
Well I do software QA in my sleep & email Alex about these things. The only reason any such things are ever fixable is that admins & developers are more patient with technology than you're being. My solution to averting hacks is to simply use an operating system that's irrelevant to said hack(s).

I'm an obsessive techie whom you won't see over there, because I appreciate the simplicity here. I don't think everything has to act like Facebook to be a well designed site. I'm also not saying a whole lot of fancy design went into either site, I just like the relative madness of a board, any kind.

You e-mail Alex about these things. Good, but does he or anyone else act on these things? Why is this site's SSL security "limited" and not complete?

My patience ended in March during "The WrongPlanet.net URL-redirect Hack of 2018" when I spent $161.00 for Geek Squad to repair my computer. I understand "as is" liability as well as any lawyer. It isn't absolute.

My praise of The Mighty isn't because of its fanciness, but because of its complete SSL security, its allowance of users to improve their security (when they know how to do it) and ... thank the gods, very little arguing. So, I don't appreciate any site's "madness," especially when it costs me cash and little concern from its fans.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:35 am

Will you still identify as a WooPer? Will you require therapy after your transition? Will your clothes still fit? Are you going to tell your family?

:wink: