Why would any Aspie pretend to be NT or non Aspie/Autistic?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 8:55 am

I wish that a lot of people would not be angry at others for the faults they find in themselves.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Oct 2018, 2:55 pm

The question in the thread title has been answered very well already, but I also feel like my "NT self" is just who I am at this point. Even if I were talking to another autistic person, I doubt my eye contact, body language or tone of voice would change at all compared to how I talk to NTs. It's just totally natural for me to "act NT."

ENTP-A

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 4:44 pm

It's a survival mechanism. You have to fake being NT to make it in this world, unfortunately.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

8128 wrote:
The question in the thread title has been answered very well already, but I also feel like my "NT self" is just who I am at this point. Even if I were talking to another autistic person, I doubt my eye contact, body language or tone of voice would change at all compared to how I talk to NTs. It's just totally natural for me to "act NT."

That is exactly the same with me too. I'm on the mild/high-functioning end of the spectrum, so it's natural for me to want social interaction, and not everything I do is an act. Some things I do are just me, but are 'normal' to others, which I'm grateful for. In other words, some things I do are neurotypical behaviour, while other things I have to make a little more effort with. But smiling and making eye contact and having an interest in people is something I find natural.

Lysander
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm

In order not to get fired, mainly. Sometimes it's to preserve relationships with NTs who are important to the aspie, like a teacher for example whose help is needed.

So, rest assured it's not people pleasing behavior as much as it is a survival tactic.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2018, 6:57 am

I think we all need to understand that the OP is experiencing a great deal of frustration with NTs and to be quite honest I share his frustration with many NTs.

I think the others who have responded to the OP with such negative criticism need to step back and understand that we all suffer from the same Autistic thread and each of us has a different length of thread to deal with, to extend the metaphor.

Have we all forgotten so quickly the bullying we received from NTs because of our Autism? I don't think we need to add to his frustration and we need to show a little more understanding of his situation while not forgetting ours.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)