Would You Take a Course to Learn Social Skills?

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2018, 2:43 am

There are a few of those I would love to learn how to properly execute. I have never been able to engage in meaningful eye contact without also fidgeting or glancing around vicariously. Small talk and general body language never came naturally to me. My middle son seems to have the same struggles, and he is also considered gifted. He looks like he is pain every time someone takes a picture of him. He said he just doesn't understand why he should smile if he has no reason to smile. And, honestly, I get that. However, I feel like I am not doing him any kindness with my own lack of social skills.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 4:30 am

An accredited course would be my second choice. I'd rather be an early adopter, working with someone who is still developing something, not someone trying to emulate a genius but able to cheat. Certificates have become a commodity. "USDA Organic" now means "Reduced Poison."

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:03 am

No. Social skills is too vague of a concept and differs from culture to culture.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2018, 8:07 pm

There are reasons why some find it best to avoid eye contact. It is just basic self-protection. It should be praised.

The premise of deficit is what is wrong with such social skills classes.

Those of us living the Shamanic Experience need to be fighting to reclaim our social and civil standing, not to be being Uncle Toms.

Richard

Autism-Aspergers is just a concept invented to legitimate the abuse of children and adults. Neuro-Diversity is just a way of pleading for pity. Everytime we endorse these concepts, we are further maginalizing ourselves, and encouraging child abuse. Autism-Asperger's could never even exist without Nazi Social Darwinism and Eugenics. So I no longer talk about these, I talk about lived experience, often the experience of being othered and then persecuted. I call this experience of having intelligence, insight, intuition, and mystical abilities, the Shamanic Experience. And those of us who live it need to start banding together and protecting ourselves, each other, and the children of today. Beautiful Planet, just a rotten economic and political system.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
No. Social skills is too vague of a concept and differs from culture to culture.

True. Plus, the skills in question are more NT-style communication. The kind of things I have to endure/mimic in the office. But a more ASD-friendly office would have different social skills/styles.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2018, 8:46 pm

Agreed, Shamans usually do not communicate in the same ways as Muggles do.

I've seen some such social skills videos, talking about how to ask a girl out on a date, and the selected setting being the waiting room of a doctor's office.

Well, first of all there is the premise of defect and deficiency. But then also, it is unrealistic. Adolescent peer culture is brutal, sometimes even lethal.

So while it may go okay in a doctor's office, in a more typical setting, if you do not have status within the herd, you have no chance, nothing to gain, and a great deal to risk.

We need to be honest about this, let people know that it is not they who have some defect or deficiency. Let them them know that the entire problem is with adolescent peer culture, and then also that some never evolve beyond this, as long as they live.

So the solution to all problems is built Shamanic social realms.

Richard

Autism-Aspergers is just a concept invented to legitimate the abuse of children and adults. Neuro-Diversity is just a way of pleading for pity. Everytime we endorse these concepts, we are further maginalizing ourselves, and encouraging child abuse. Autism-Asperger's could never even exist without Nazi Social Darwinism and Eugenics. So I no longer talk about these, I talk about lived experience, often the experience of being othered and then persecuted. I call this experience of having intelligence, insight, intuition, and mystical abilities, the Shamanic Experience. And those of us who live it need to start banding together and protecting ourselves, each other, and the children of today. Beautiful Planet, just a rotten economic and political system.

Gindi2
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2018, 10:08 pm

I've tried such a course before I got diagnosed. It was sooooo horrible!
I took it very seriously, but the course was for a group of 12 people. Strangers. Who easily conversed with each other before, during and after the course. So yeah, I seemed to be the only weirdo there.

But I would consider new course. Specially on 'how to initiate and keep a conversation going'. I would be interested if it were specific for Aspergers and something I could do alone. Yes I do see how practice would be difficult :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 10:32 pm

Richard_the_ Dogged wrote:
Agreed, Shamans usually do not communicate in the same ways as Muggles do.

I've seen some such social skills videos, talking about how to ask a girl out on a date, and the selected setting being the waiting room of a doctor's office.

Well, first of all there is the premise of defect and deficiency. But then also, it is unrealistic. Adolescent peer culture is brutal, sometimes even lethal.

So while it may go okay in a doctor's office, in a more typical setting, if you do not have status within the herd, you have no chance, nothing to gain, and a great deal to risk.

We need to be honest about this, let people know that it is not they who have some defect or deficiency. Let them them know that the entire problem is with adolescent peer culture, and then also that some never evolve beyond this, as long as they live.

So the solution to all problems is built Shamanic social realms.

Richard

When you say "shamanic" I understand that one is expected to have personal experience of the supernatural, not just book learning. When you say "muggle" I don't know where I've gotten to. Care to provide some definitions? Will this be a society for everyone, or just an enclave for a few, with a border to define?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm

I wouldn't take such a course. There are some people who just aren't meant to be like everybody else.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:20 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wouldn't take such a course. There are some people who just aren't meant to be like everybody else.

This is wise and poetic.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2018, 6:35 pm

Quote:
When you say "muggle" I don't know where I've gotten to. Care to provide some definitions? Will this be a society for everyone, or just an enclave for a few, with a border to define?

People at risk of getting labeled as having Autism or Asperger's, or even just otherwise othered, need to start defending themselves.

You show me someone who has been led to believe that they have Autism or Asperger's, and I'll show you a society which has defined this person as being on the outside.

Autism / Aspergers is the resurgence of the Eugenics Movement. Hans Asperger sent 5,000 children to be euthanized. He should have been tried and executed at Nuremburg.

Autism / Aspergers is the abuse of children and adults. So have to take it to the nest level. Autism / Aspergers is War!

https://www.amazon.com/War-Autism-Corpo ... autism+war

Richard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 8:19 pm

It's been over a week since the OP posted on this website.

I think he may be tired of being called out as a salesman with nothing of value to sell.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2018, 8:39 pm

People are pushing these social skills classes. I think it is all very disingenuous.

Richard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:02 am

I have found Toastmasters far more effective than any social skills course. You don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of money, either. I have developed vital life skills taking tennis lessons as well. The instructors program is a whole life program stressing lifelong learning, on court and off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:05 am

Toastmasters is quite applicable, especially, for real-life, relatively formal types of situations.

Improving one's social skills is not a "disingenuous" objective.

Even Temple Grandin, who takes great pride in her autism, had to adapt and develop better social skills.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:14 am

I took a social skills course sponsored by a national engineering society.