What is THE most hated question that peeps ask you about AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 7:02 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
"Is there a cure?"

classic.
was asked if there was an operation for it [autism] once.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 7:41 am

I get more and more grateful that I'm not living in the USA or another English-speaking country so that nobody will hear anything like "assburgers".

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2007, 3:07 pm

jjstar wrote:
LadyMacbeth wrote:
"Is there a cure?"

*No, and it's contagious!*

rotfl.

hehe

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Oct 2007, 3:33 pm

do you like girls? or they'll try to quiz me on facts i know about certain baseball players like im just there personal pinball machine or something

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 5:31 pm

jjstar wrote:
LadyMacbeth wrote:
"Is there a cure?"

*No, and it's contagious!*

rotfl.

Wouldn't THAT be nice?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063799/

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2007, 10:03 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Alternative wrote:
If you don't tell anyone, they won't ask the questions.

'Nuff said. :D

oh, but they do. . .they do.

they say "What's YOUR major malfunction?" or "Oh, playing the ret*d, eh?" or "What is YOUR problem?" "you gonna space out on us again?" or they just look at each other and rooooooollll their eyes. . .

Merle

I've never told anyone but my one friend and my immediate family. From everyone else I've heard, um, I think all my life these questions and others like it.

"Why are you so gullible?"
"Are you with me? You look like you don't understand or something."
"How many times do I have to exlain it?"
"What's wrong with you?"
"Hello! Is anybody in there?!" (This one was only asked by the biggest morons out of all of them. Makes me want to smack them down.)
"Are you okay? You look upset."

There's more that I can't think of right now.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 10:41 pm

Droopy wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Alternative wrote:
If you don't tell anyone, they won't ask the questions.

'Nuff said. :D

oh, but they do. . .they do.

they say "What's YOUR major malfunction?" or "Oh, playing the ret*d, eh?" or "What is YOUR problem?" "you gonna space out on us again?" or they just look at each other and rooooooollll their eyes. . .

Merle

I've never told anyone but my one friend and my immediate family. From everyone else I've heard, um, I think all my life these questions and others like it.

"Why are you so gullible?"
"Are you with me? You look like you don't understand or something."
"How many times do I have to exlain it?"
"What's wrong with you?"
"Hello! Is anybody in there?!" (This one was only asked by the biggest morons out of all of them. Makes me want to smack them down.)
"Are you okay? You look upset."

There's more that I can't think of right now.

Oo, I got the gullible one all through public school . . . over and over and over and . . . yeah.

Or the ever popular, "Hello in there! Are you awake???"

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 11:18 pm

I haven't actually been asked a single question about AS.

All the people I have told simply say "Hmm."

That's it.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2007, 12:44 am

I've only been diagnosed for a short time now, but I've told people who were interested in those sorts of things.

Generally I've only had the "I wouldn't have guessed!" and "You seem so normal!" responses. I thank them, I know they mean it as a compliment, and then I tell them, "you should have seen me a few years ago."

I like answering questions. I think I'd laugh at most of the questions posted here, except the ones that are meant to be hurtful of course.

I'm waiting for the "how did you get it?" questions. I won't be able to help myself... :twisted:

"I fell off a trampoline as a kid. When I woke up they showed me part of my brain floating in a jar!"
"I remember this weird light in my room and then I was on their spaceship..."
"I was kicked in the head by a giraffe! My family sued the zoo for millions of dollars!"
"You know when you tell your parents you're gonna hold your breath till they give you what you want? You gotta know when to stop!"
"In highschool some kids dared me to microwave my head!"

Don't worry, I'll tell them I'm joking... Eventually. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 12:54 am

Are you ret*d?

Do you have a Mental Problem?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:07 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
I think they really need to teach kids in school that ret*d is not a proper word to throw around, as an insult, or otherwise. You don't call ethnic minorities names that harm them, why is it ok for that display of prejudice to be towards the disabled?

I remember a story I heard that an animal rights group attacks models and rich women wearing fur because if they attacked the Hells Angels for wearing leather. . they would kick their ass!

It's the same about calling someone 'ret*d' most ret*ds have been cowed by other bullies long before that one got to them, so they don't have to worry. Maybe if we start kicking ass, they would move on to other targets?

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2007, 9:11 am

One exchange from high school will stay with me for ever:

Me: Asperger Syndrome.
Them: What's that?
Me: It is on the autistic spectrum, and it--
Them: But you seem really smart.

I seriously did not know where to go from there. While they continued with a barrage of questions and comments, I remained quiet, still baffled by that one.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2007, 10:00 am

What I hate most is when, rather than asking questions, they make assumptions. I welcome even the most innane questions.

kuiamalynne

14 Oct 2007, 10:42 am

I don't think that I receive questions as much as I receive "statements," which is weird. It's always been a mixture for me. Some people say that I seem too normal, that I must have outgrown it. Others have told me that they kind of figured I'm autistic -- some have even point-blank asked me if I have AS.

Perhaps the most hated questions I get are:
"You have AS? Then why are you an English major?"
or
"How can you even think about wanting to teach?"

I guess everyone thinks I'd best serve the world if I were to lock myself in a room with a computer all day. I mean, I do like working with computers, and I even started college as a programming major, but I've found that it's not for me, that English/writing fits better. Why is this so hard to grasp? Why do all people with AS have to love technology? While I personally don't see anything wrong with loving technology, I do find it frustrating that everyone wants to shove me into that category. Dagnabbit, I like reading rhetorical theory, not database theory, mmkay?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 10:52 am

kuiamalynne wrote:
I don't think that I receive questions as much as I receive "statements," which is weird. It's always been a mixture for me. Some people say that I seem too normal, that I must have outgrown it. Others have told me that they kind of figured I'm autistic -- some have even point-blank asked me if I have AS.

or

I guess everyone thinks I'd best serve the world if I were to lock myself in a room with a computer all day. I mean, I do like working with computers, and I even started college as a programming major, but I've found that it's not for me, that English/writing fits better. Why is this so hard to grasp? Why do all people with AS have to love technology? While I personally don't see anything wrong with loving technology, I do find it frustrating that everyone wants to shove me into that category. Dagnabbit, I like reading rhetorical theory, not database theory, mmkay?

Hate to say it, YOU FIT THE STEREOTYPE!! !! !!

You started out with computers and, I guess, are OK with it! Stereotype #1! BTW That is my second big interest. First was electronics, but computers weren't economically feasible for most then. :D

You finished with LANGUAGE! Stereotype #2(or is it number one, since it is the most popular first obsession and I guess WAS mine while I was learning, and with hans first mentioned?)! BTW that is my third big interest!

So HEY, if you don't want to be defined by stereotypes, don't fit them! :lol:

kuiamalynne

14 Oct 2007, 11:58 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
kuiamalynne wrote:

or

Hate to say it, YOU FIT THE STEREOTYPE!! !! !!

You started out with computers and, I guess, are OK with it! Stereotype #1! BTW That is my second big interest. First was electronics, but computers weren't economically feasible for most then. :D

You finished with LANGUAGE! Stereotype #2(or is it number one, since it is the most popular first obsession and I guess WAS mine while I was learning, and with hans first mentioned?)! BTW that is my third big interest!

So HEY, if you don't want to be defined by stereotypes, don't fit them! :lol:

Hahaha. This made me smile. Thanks. :)

I didn't realize that language was one of the AS stereotypes. As for those who stereotype me... they usually don't see language in that way. I guess they're just ill-informed about stereotypes? Hmm.

My goal is to be a professor in English/Rhetoric. Does this mean that I want to fulfill the "little professors" stereotype? I think my head hurts...