Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AnodyneInsect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2018, 9:40 am

Hi,
I Just found out that my therapist is going to be leaving in two weeks. I had a very positive experience with her and she really understood me. She was the therapist who diagnosed me with ASD and even though I will be getting another therapist from the same practice I am finding it hard not to be scared of losing my diagnosis. I understand that the record will be transferred to the new therapist and I always give new professionals a fresh chance with me. My original psychiatrist was also changed as well. Because my new psychiatrist has to look at old incorrect records about me from my past I am afraid she will ignore the current diagnosis and restore the old incorrect one. I have two more visits with my therapist. I plan on talking to her about how to communicate with the new psychiatrist. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do if the psychiatrist mislabels me?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 10:11 am

It sounds like you are approaching this challenge very rationally. It's actually unlikely that either therapist or psychiatrist will favor an older diagnosis over a newer one. For one thing, the diagnostic manual is updated every few years so newer=better where diagnosis is concerned. It's certainly reasonable to express your feelings at the first meeting with the new psychiatrist. Your current (outgoing) therapist can also discuss your worries, either in a chart note or by talking directly to the new staff.

I think this is going to work out okay for you. Good luck. Try to view changes in staff as not only a loss, but also an opportunity. You might learn some new techniques and viewpoints that are actually helpful to you!

Last edited by BeaArthur on 10 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnodyneInsect

10 Nov 2018, 12:28 pm

Thank you for your insightful reply it gives me peace.