Can you spot what is wrong in a video?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 7:30 pm

I had to record myself for an interview and boy something is so "off" about how I sound/act... I recorded this video to get opinions:

https://youtu.be/TP3YcvAAxMo

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 8:00 pm

To me you seem autistic in the way you move and talk.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 8:01 pm

I wish you could get a job with birds. I bet you are really good with them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 10:14 pm

I wish you luck on the interview. I hope you get the job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 10:18 pm

My honest opinion:

You should have dresses more formally, and combed your hair.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2018, 10:29 pm

You do very well in terms of communicating the topics you're trying to get across. Recording a video of yourself to get feedback about your speaking is a good idea - I'm autistic and might try that myself. If I hadn't read your post where you mention your autism, I'm not sure I would have guessed you're autistic. My first impression based on your speech patterns and facial expression is that you are anxious and are trying to force the words out, sort of under pressure. Also your verbal intonation is mostly monotone. Over the years I've learned to adopt a verbal intonation in line with how I want a conversation to go. This makes quite a difference in how people relate and react. So I might adopt a mood of being concerned, of being amused, of being interested in the other person's reactions, etc. And you're doing exactly the right thing by practicing and gauging how your communication comes across. Imitating how other people speak, their facial expressions, body language and eye motions over the years is how I've learned to act "naturally" around others. I even practiced how people inflect their volume and vocal tone up and down when reading sentences. You might be able to find some YouTube videos of people reading or being interviewed that would help you practice verbal intonation and facial expressions.

If you actually feel anxious about the other person's reaction to what you're going to say, it sometimes helps to say that up front (it actually helps them connect with you and understand you). I might say "I just wanted to mention that I'm somewhat nervous about communicating this, so you understand." You can even chuckle slightly at then end of that and make eye contact to put the other person at ease. And even though I've done lots of communicating at work with individuals and teams, at church, in classes, etc., if it takes too long or if I start to get overwhelmed, my ability to do the whole verbal intonation, facial expression and showing a mood becomes very limited and I revert to being quiet and looking down (not maintaining eye contact). I'm almost 62 years old and I've improved my verbal skills over the decades - but when I was in my late 20s / early 30s if I talked to people, I would sit with my hands motionless on my lap, look down and talk in a monotone 8O Practice and feedback have been helpful and have reduced my anxiety when speaking too. I don't know if this might help - when I get nervous I now stim by wiggling a pen held in one hand out of sight, which people tend to ignore. I used to rock or get shaky, which you appear to do toward the end of your video, which people pay more attention to.

I hope this feedback is helpful and I wish you the best.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 10:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My honest opinion:

You should have dresses more formally, and combed your hair.

I was wearing something different during the interview and my hair has a mind of its own

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 11:22 pm

You actually remind me a fair amount of my daughter. I agree with another commenter that I can pick up on anxiety. But there's also some autism qualities. My daughter has both, but does not have bipolar disorder.

Here are some suggestions. First, do some slow breathing before recording your video (or before starting an in-person interview). This is likely to oxygenate you better, so you don't have do the shallow chest breathing (vs. diaphragm breathing) that happens with anxiety. It will also improve your voice tone.

Second, pretend you are speaking to a person you know is sympathetic to you, instead of a webcam. In an in-person interview, pretend you know in advance the interviewer is kindly disposed toward you.

Third, smile occasionally. You appear tense in this video. Loosening up your facial muscles, and exhibiting differing facial expressions during your speech, will make you seem more natural. By different facial expressions, I mean now and then a slight chuckle or grin, at another time looking off into the distance as if gathering your thoughts, and at moments, maybe nodding slightly for emphasis or turning away from the camera briefly before returning your gaze. You may also use "dramatic pauses" to moderate the flow of words and thoughts. You could also use some hand gestures - a pointing finger, holding your chin for a moment, or doing a movement such as both hands up to demonstrate a point.

All this, you can and should practice in front of a mirror.

If you are recording a video, take off the glasses. They reflect the monitor, which doesn't look great. Obviously, in an in-person interview, if you need them to see, then wear them; in that case, screen reflection isn't an issue anyway.

Finally, you might also find that a little make-up makes you feel more attractive, and if not overdone, it will not detract in any way. Also, although your hair may have a mind of its own, the employer is possibly not looking for that in a new hire, so use bobby pins, barrettes, head bands or scarves, or hair spray to "tame" it a bit.

I hope this helps a little! Congratulations on making the video and asking for feedback!

Last edited by BeaArthur on 26 Nov 2018, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 11:33 pm

And maybe speak a little faster. Your words are very slightly slurred.

Nothing wrong with your Michigandi accent.

For some dumb reason, I thought this was your interview.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 7:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
And maybe speak a little faster. Your words are very slightly slurred.

Nothing wrong with your Michigandi accent.

For some dumb reason, I thought this was your interview.

No, the interview I was dressed up and even had makeup on.

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2018, 7:27 am

I thought you did really well. :) You sounded and looked confident. I hope you'll get the job, good luck.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 2:42 pm

Adjusting your glasses with both hands multiple times in less than two minutes is probably a bad idea when trying to get a job. I don't know if you do this often, or just in the video, but way too much glasses adjusting, and using two hands will come across as odd to people who don't know you, especially if you're also raising both hands while talking and then going in for a glasses adjustment. Try to avoid doing that.

Your speaking intonation and pitch is quite a bit off; it kind of sounds like you're struggling just to breath and the timing and delivery of the words isn't natural (or doesn't sound natural to most ears). Maybe some of that is the medication.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 4:38 pm

I've just had a quick look on YouTube and there are quite a lot of adult speech therapy exercises. You may find interesting. I detect you have an unusual pattern of speech. Breathing exercises may help you stop trying to get too many words out in one breath and then needing to gasp for air. It makes speech stilted.

The thing with recording a video for us is that you will be nervous and we won't see the real you. Also you're probably feeling frustrated and that comes over in the video. But well done for putting yourself out there. I'm not posting a video of myself anytime soon :)

Try and avoid sudden hand gestures. In NT speak, sudden means angry and aggressive and will make the listener put up their guard. Maybe try and practice adjusting your glasses with one hand in a smooth motion.

Although I guess the glasses readjustment may be due to nervousness or be a stim. You may need to substitute this with a more subtle stim like rubbing your thumb and forefinger together in a circle motion at your side where no one will see.

I read somewhere that if you think happy thoughts while rubbing in a circle motion or do this when you are already happy it will help calm you down when stressed. I have got into the habit of it now. I'm not sure if calms me, but it helps direct my nervous energy somewhere. I also wiggle my toes as a stim. No one can see that. My toes are in my shoes.