Is Autism Easier Now That You're Older?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DreamerDawn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2018, 1:35 am

For me, personally, I'm finding that life is a lot more difficult than when I was a teenager when I was first diagnosed. I do have a lot of problems, other than Autism though so that's probably the reason for me. It's like having a bucket of problems and every day each problem takes its turn at attacking me.

With my Autism it's hard making friends and getting to know new people. The people I work with, I only talk to when I completely have to otherwise I work by myself which makes the atmosphere sometimes a little stale. I continuously wash my hands and do other things and I also worry a lot as well as having really bad eyes that struggle with anything bright. That's not Autism though that's an eye problem I have where my pupils are nearly always dilated :(

Life is hard and it's getting harder all the time. I've got mild depression and I feel like things are always going to be getting worse.

How do you guys find coping with your Autism now you're older?

Being a hero isn't about fame and glory, it's about being willing to risk yourself and do good for others.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 1:48 am

...Uh... :| .. :roll:.................

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2018, 2:19 am

FWIW, I am far better off being older. When I was young, I was a complete social incompetent and reject. Everything in my environment made me feel bad about myself. I wanted things that I would never have. It was emotionally hellish for year after year after year. But somewhere along the way the pain dulled, and I slowly learned to stop accepting the world's judgment that I was broken and simply try to live on my own terms. Through some ability and a lot of luck, I found a gratifying niche in which I could earn my living. If you're earning enough to survive, then the world has no power over you that you don't give it.

When I eventually came to understand the phenomenon of autism, it was a huge burden off my shoulders: An external verification of what I'd pretty much figured out on my own, which is that I was just tuned differently from most, and my quirks weren't (as I'd grown up being told) personal failures. So it's okay to be quirky, and -- this is the conclusion that I came to believe -- the only one who can judge us is God Himself. God cares whether we are as good as we can be; He hates evil but he does not mind if we're a bit "weird". So I've learned to be happy, and am grateful for having been given enough skills and luck and opportunity to get through the day.

I've also learned that everybody struggles, and envy is always misplaced. Nobody would want to pick up the burden I carry, but I wouldn't want to swap burdens with anyone else in the world.

Of possible interest: Although I don't recall the word "autism" being mentioned, this memoir of a troubled young woman may strike a familiar chord. When All the World Was Young

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 2:46 am

I like to think so. Having Bipolar Disorder is a much worse problem to deal with so in a way it has made my Aspergers seem almost mute.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 3:22 am

The only part of my autism that I've ever found "difficult" is the sensory problems, which have undoubtedly got worse.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2018, 3:45 am

I find it's easier for me but I've researched a lot about it, analyzed myself & my issues, worked on myself & some of my issues, & just tried to find myself but while still growing as a person. I've come a long ways but there's lots of areas that are still very subpar. I think another reason things are easier for me now is because of environmental circumstances. I'm living with my girlfriend instead of still stuck being forced to live with my parents who were critical of my many faults. I'm also on disability for reasons besides Aspergers & I'm sure not having to work is less stressful for me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DreamerDawn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2018, 3:52 am

nick007 wrote:
I find it's easier for me but I've researched a lot about it, analyzed myself & my issues, worked on myself & some of my issues, & just tried to find myself but while still growing as a person. I've come a long ways but there's lots of areas that are still very subpar. I think another reason things are easier for me now is because of environmental circumstances. I'm living with my girlfriend instead of still stuck being forced to live with my parents who were critical of my many faults. I'm also on disability for reasons besides Aspergers & I'm sure not having to work is less stressful for me.

I live alone but visit my parents often, when I can. I don't have any friends or a boyfriend or girlfriend. People and I don't really go together that well. I think a lot of the problem is I'm always squinting. Lol. I work as a laboratory technician which is a fun-ish job, it's all about checking blood and what not for diseases, which can be pretty depressing depending on what you find. I love all things medical and the human body, so it's a good job for me and keeps me busy from 9a.m. to 5p.m. most days.

When I'm not at work is when I start to suffer. I'm not busy and I have no one with me to talk to or do things with, so I stagnate and get low. I do keep fit though and certainly in recent months this has helped boost my mood and even my work has improved so that can only be good. I refuse to go on anti-depression meds so I'm sorting myself out in my own way, so far it's working! :)

Being a hero isn't about fame and glory, it's about being willing to risk yourself and do good for others.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 5:58 am

At 21, you are going through a difficult transition phase. I think it will improve for you.

In my own experience, age definitely has improved my quality of life.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 6:04 am

I had problems as a kid but I was relatively self-assured until I was 13, then I really began to struggle. From always being among the most intelligent in my year I ended up failing every single exam I took at 16 and I didn't really start to get it together again until I was 26. My 30's were good but now that I'm separated from my wife I am struggling worse than ever.

DreamerDawn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2018, 6:05 am

Yh that is true, I also have women's stuff to deal with which alters my mood all the time :roll:

I'm glad it's got better for you as you've grown up. There has been improvements for me as well, I have a job, live by myself and I'm capable of handling most things myself but lately my mood has been slipping. It probably is just negativity trying to kick the door down . . .

DreamerDawn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2018, 6:07 am

lostproperty wrote:
I had problems as a kid but I was relatively self-assured until I was 13, then I really began to struggle. From always being among the most intelligent in my year I ended up failing every single exam I took at 16 and I didn't really start to get it together again until I was 26. My 30's were good but now that I'm separated from my wife I am struggling worse than ever.

I'm sorry you're struggling now. Sometimes relationships don't work out, what happened if you don't mind me asking?

Best to try and move on, if you spend forever living in the past and regretting then you'll miss out on nice things in the present and the future. I spent a long time living in the past and blew away five years of my life, worst thing I ever did and I ultimately wish I could get those five years back as they cost me so much.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:26 am

My life has definitely improved. In my 20s, although I had a Master's in English, I didn't get my first job until I was 29. I felt like a loser because I couldn't get a driver's license and never dated.

Things have definitely improved for me in the last five years. I finally got my license at 48 and have an active life. I attend Toastmasters, take tennis lessons, sing in the church choir and have been at my present place of employment for sixteen years.

I still work just part time, live with my father (my mother died in 2011) and I'm still single. I hope to improve on my life and become independent but, at 54, I don't know how much is still possible.

For me, it has become easier in the last five years, but I don't know if many more improvements will come. A lot of good things are happening, however.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 9:21 am

DreamerDawn wrote:
lostproperty wrote:

I'm sorry you're struggling now. Sometimes relationships don't work out, what happened if you don't mind me asking?

It reached the stage where she wanted a normal social life, I couldn't do any of that so she started joining clubs and meeting people and eventually she left me and my two kids for somebody else. It's not her that I actually miss now, I end up thinking about the first relationship I was in way back in my teens, I'm full of regret about giving up on her because she had a lot of issues and I wasn't mentally strong enough to deal with it at the time. I've got my daughter now though, she keeps me going.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 9:27 am

It was tough when I had to take care of a full time partner who was seriously ill and a full time job. It is a lot easier now that I just have to take care of the job and paid up house. I've saved up enough that the job isn't even required anymore.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 9:27 am

Now that I'm older I have more crap to deal with which makes it harder, but I also have things a lot more well managed than when I was little.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

AnnieAnn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2018, 10:07 am

Teenage years were the hardest with meltdowns, but now that I'm older my struggles are more with keeping with my routine, and extreme sensitivity to lights and sound and temperature.