Can you read people's expressions in thier eyes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IRememberNothing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2018, 1:25 am

Genuine question, do you have the ability to look people in the eye and read their expression?

I've found despite having social difficulty being an aspie. I can usually tell generally through expression how someone is reacting in the most basic sense emotionally. Although, I can't always tell why or for what reason right away. Often it takes me alot of time well after to realize. Still I ask because I have a friend with fetal alcohol syndrome who told me he can't read people at all, and I believe him since I've witnessed just how unaware he truly was. I find that crazy, and feel kind of sorry for him sometimes, it must be rough navigating socially without having any idea. What are your thoughts?

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2018, 1:46 am

Even when I can look into someone's eyes for long enough to glean any info without looking creepy, generally it doesn't help me read them. Or when I can look into their eyes at all.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:55 am

I get literally nothing from eye contact at all. It is just both over whelming, and feels like you're staring into a deep void of Lights and intruding on someone or like someone's walking in on you naked. It's really uncomfortable and a little painful. I can fake effectively however by looking at the bridge of the nose. I don't always bother, one of the many uses for sunglasses.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2018, 2:13 am

Yeah generally my eyes are darting around just so I don't have to look into their eyes. Generally people either don't notice or don't bring it up, but there's a few people out there who will be really insistent on eye contact and it's really hard to deal with them.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 2:33 am

jamthis12 wrote:
Yeah generally my eyes are darting around just so I don't have to look into their eyes. Generally people either don't notice or don't bring it up, but there's a few people out there who will be really insistent on eye contact and it's really hard to deal with them.

I don't think anyone noticed at all for me until I was diagnosed. But there always have been a few insistent people, really don't know why someone would be insistent on having someone stare straight into their eyeballs.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 3:10 am

I get discomfort in the form of a strong urge to look away when I look into peoples eyes.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 6:51 am

I avoid eye contact because they're saying one thing with their voice but through their eyes I can feel all of their underlying emotion, which may not have anything to do with what they're talking about. It's too much information to process.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 7:08 am

If the expression is a genuine reflection of how they feel. Any kind of mask or etiquette or incongruity between what they feel and what they say, then not at all.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 12:50 pm

eyes to me are like large marbles pressed into the heads of people.
i get nothing from them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:51 pm

Not really, but it would depend on who I am interacting with.

RiverSeeker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2018, 3:43 pm

Eyes are pretty, but I've definitely never seen any emotions swimming around in them.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:43 pm

No but I wish I could.
I always read about like "they were smiling but their eyes held such deep sadness" or whatnot and I cant relate. I would honestly have no idea. All I see is their color.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 7:28 pm

I can read expressions well enough, especially involuntary microexpressions, but I'm better with deciphering tone of voice.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2018, 10:01 am

yeah, it doesn't do much for me personally. I CAN, however, get an idea based off of what their eyebrows or mouths are doing. It usually works, but there are days where i just can't read faces at all. Tone of voice is kind of 50/50 for me, though. I usually can't tell the difference between joking tones or angry/annoyed ones, and i often confuse the two.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 10:43 am

I can do averagely on those online tests where they show you eyes and give you a list of emotions to choose from. However I'm not at all sure about a real life, face to face scenario.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 8:26 pm

IRememberNothing wrote:
Genuine question, do you have the ability to look people in the eye and read their expression?

I get their mood and their feelings and especially how they feel towards me and I also recognise dishonest s**theads quite fast then. :mrgreen: