I feel bad and frustrated with myself sometimes

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 11:18 am

I hate myself at times for feeling I like I know so much about a particular subject I'm interested that I almost obsess over it than some other people do with what they are interested in and that I get socially awkward around some people and think they are criticising me because of my body language, the way I look and that they think I'm a weirdo. I do feel quite sensitive to negative criticism because it makes me look bad and look stupid. Its all because get frustrated when I try to fit in with the neurotypical community and I feel like some people are not interested, maybe they feel awkward and don't have time for me and the time of day to want anything to do with me.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

People tend to mock things they don't understand; it's frustrating, and can be very hurtful, but you must remember it is coming from a place of ignorance. They don't know you. They can't fathom that your brain works in a different way, so they judge.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

KingExplosionMurder wrote:
People tend to mock things they don't understand; it's frustrating, and can be very hurtful, but you must remember it is coming from a place of ignorance. They don't know you. They can't fathom that your brain works in a different way, so they judge.

The problem is not that they "don't understand" or are ignorant

Everyone is "ignorant"

The problem is their arrogant attitude

Unconscious incompetence

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2018, 9:31 pm

I think it's because they can approximate an understanding of us but most NTs won't put in the effort(it is a lot) so are operating with little information. Plus the fact that autism is invisible, so they won't know unless you tell them.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm

"sometimes"?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 10:26 am

My interests are far different than those of other people, definitely. I don't often talk about my interests to people I don't know well. It seems that certain interests are acceptable, even if they trend toward the negative (most popular culture today), than my own. It's okay to talk about the latest movie on Netflix, vampires, zombies and the like, because they are "popular," if negative, derogatory or gruesome, than about positive things.