Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:57 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
fifasy,
I took Acting classes in Uni through the Drama department. They were actually very fun! I never had to participate in a large scale production but the classes were relaxed. We did a lot of vocal training and silly things like juggling (to promote physical coordination while speaking). It was a relief to be other characters, as you say. We got to sit on the carpeted floor and everyone had to define their own space. (Perfect!) I think performing arts would be worth a try!

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I saw a play adaptation of Jane Eyre a month ago and it was performed by one woman. I'm 99% certain she's Aspie because she played various characters of a whole play herself which requires, I think, an obsessive interest in the story and also preference for performing alone. I had a look on her production company's page and all the shows she tours with are all performed by her by herself. At the end of the play I watched while the audience were applauding her she told us all to stop. :lol: It was sort of funny because most performers wouldn't do that. My sister who was there thought she might be Aspie too. It made me wonder if that kind of thing might be a viable career path for some of us.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

fifasy wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
fifasy,
I took Acting classes in Uni through the Drama department. They were actually very fun! I never had to participate in a large scale production but the classes were relaxed. We did a lot of vocal training and silly things like juggling (to promote physical coordination while speaking). It was a relief to be other characters, as you say. We got to sit on the carpeted floor and everyone had to define their own space. (Perfect!) I think performing arts would be worth a try!

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I saw a play adaptation of Jane Eyre a month ago and it was performed by one woman. I'm 99% certain she's Aspie because she played various characters of a whole play herself which requires, I think, an obsessive interest in the story and also preference for performing alone. I had a look on her production company's page and all the shows she tours with are all performed by her by herself. At the end of the play I watched while the audience were applauding her she told us all to stop. :lol: It was sort of funny because most performers wouldn't do that. My sister who was there thought she might be Aspie too. It made me wonder if that kind of thing might be a viable career path for some of us.

Was it Rebecca Vaughan? I've heard she's extraordinary!

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 10:20 am

Yeah it was!

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2018, 10:35 am

I think boring people end up boring because of their interests.

Example: most women are interested in haircuts. I am not interested in haircuts. So I find women boring.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:09 pm

fifasy wrote:
Yeah it was!

I'd love to know how she did Jane solo and also in one act (isn't it under two hours?)
Did it involve the whole Moor House / St. John plot? I truly need to get out more.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
fifasy wrote:
Yeah it was!

I'd love to know how she did Jane solo and also in one act (isn't it under two hours?)
Did it involve the whole Moor House / St. John plot? I truly need to get out more.

I think it did. It cut out a lot of stuff out but got the main parts in. The play has had top reviews from critics.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I don't think I'm boring. People say they like talking to me. However, I know that my interests are very different from those of most people. Most people don't follow tennis as I do and most have never heard of Denis Istomin, but he inspires me. A lot of people I know have pets, so that is a common interest.
I much rather indulge in my interests than talk about them & noone would really care about what I have to say about them anyways. Why would others care about what music I listen to when they never even heard of half of it or what they had heard of is old. Why would anyone care about my opinion of TV eps of shows that haven't been on the air in 15+ years. Why would anyone care what strategy I use to play a game that came out when I was still in skewl. Noone would give a flying f#ck & I don't really have anything else to talk about unless someone comes to me for support so I'm much more of a listener.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 3:56 pm

Not having a personality is better than six diagnosed personality disorders

Like me

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 7:47 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Not having a personality is better than six diagnosed personality disorders

Like me
I was diagnosed with a few personality disorders when I was going through a psychotic depression. I was still a wet napkin then thou. I was just an unstable & depressed one who kept going on & on about the same things.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 12:00 am

Buc wrote:

Example: most women are interested in haircuts. I am not interested in haircuts. So I find women boring.

No worries, we find you to be a tiresome misogynist.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 7:13 am

My husband is exactly like that, and he's not even autistic. I still like him. :) I always liked quiet people. Sometimes I wonder if quiet people are secretly hating me or something, thus not talking to me. But then I don't care enough to find out. If they don't like me that's their problem, right? So you guys are saying you don't hate people who talk a lot? And you're not quiet because you hate other people? OK good that's reassuring. :D

A lot of the time you can win people's trust and friendship by listening attentively. I admit that I find that hard to do with subjects I don't care about, like dogs or sports, but I do try.

Last edited by y-pod on 13 Dec 2018, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 7:18 am

starkid wrote:
Buc wrote:

No worries, we find you to be a tiresome misogynist.

Eh? Are you basing your opinion on this one post alone?

Edit: No need to answer , I just searched the posting history :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:27 am

At one point in time I also tried a variety of classes and clubs: orchids, native plants, environmental, dance, acting, the list goes on and on. I failed to make a single friend in that manner. In my personal opinion, based solely on my own experience, NTs usually are not looking to make new connections. Their lives are already full, they have their friends, and their time is filled up with their current friends and whether they find you interesting or not, they just don't need a friend.

Fifasy, I find you interesting and I see sparks of personality even in your posts, so I don't think that being boring is your problem. If I really want to participate in a class or group like you describe, I try to thing up ahead of time some bits that I can contribute. For art, instead of saying "that's a nice picture," you can develop your own list of art comments, such as "I like the use of color here," or "perspective" or "what are you trying to say with xyz." And then, as another poster stated, listen. Usually people like to be listened to.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 12:48 pm

Most persons have sometimes considered me Boring as, I'm not someone whom obsessively speaks about American Football :roll: . As well, I tend to focus on unorthodox key points of interests.Beyond this, I may or may not come off as having a pedantic like form of speech mannerism;however, I do at times try to be creative shall one say. I feel you should not go by what others think of you, rather define yourself as a person overall, if this makes sense?

armandreyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

Yeap, me too

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 1:58 pm